Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Bradshaw rips Tomlin; I don't think he's a good coach at all

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Bradshaw rips Tomlin; I don't think he's a good coach at all

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A former Steelers quarterback didn’t have many good things to say about the team’s current coach on a sports talk show Friday.

Terry Bradshaw voiced his opinion on Mike Tomlin on the Fox Sports 1 show “Speak for Yourself”.

After co-host Jason Whitlock said, “I still think Mike Tomlin still needs to prove he’s a great coach,” Bradshaw chimed in, saying. “I don’t think he’s a great coach at all.”

Bradshaw called him a “nice” coach and “a great cheerleader guy.” He went on to say Tomlin’s name “never even pops into my mind” when considering great NFL coaches.

He did have some favorable things to say about Tomlin’s predecessor, Bill Cowher.

“At the end of Chuck [Noll]’s career, in comes Cowher, and Cowher kind of gave them that boost to get them back up and win a Super Bowl,” he said.

He later says that his comparison between Cowher and Tomlin may have been unfair, since he was familiar with Cowher’s career prior to coaching the Steelers, but he didn’t know much about Tomlin’s prior career.

Former football player Cris Carter supported Tomlin, saying, “Do I think he’s a great coach? No, but I think he’s a good coach, and I think Pittsburgh, like they have done, is going to be very, very patient because they’re only a player or two away from being in the big game.”

Whitlock, on the other hand, agreed with Bradshaw.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/...t-great-coach/
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, Bradshaw is lucky he doesn't post on this board..LOL

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Wow, Bradshaw is lucky he doesn't post on this board..LOL
    Yep! He would definitely be called out for posting an asinine opinion...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

smh.. this is a damn shame. Tomlin has 2 SB appearances, 1 Ring, won AFC North 4x, is 101-57 (.639) & fastest in team history to 100 wins.

It's a shame he still has to hear this type of crap from idiots like Bradshaw who are desperate to get attention. Of course Jason Whitlock would agree because he loves to bash any black man in sports who is successful.

The jealousy and unrealistic expectations for Black coaches is insane. How the hell do you have a record like Tomlins and get called a cheerleader? Freaking clowns.

I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

You might be making too much of this. I agree that Terry's comment is uncalled for, but at the same time the guy is not the brightest bulb. If you watch the clip, it is pretty much vintage Bradshaw. I don't think it is coming from a bad place so much as a dumb place.

Also, Whitlock makes sense as does Carter. Carter says Tomlin is a good coach, not a great coach. I think that is fair based on Tomlin's performance, who for the record, I am glad is our coach despite his weaknesses.

Whitlock is a little harsher, but nothing he says is untrue from my vantage point. Tomlin is a bad clock manager. At this point that is pretty much a fact. And Whitlock's other comment is that Tomlin is a bit aggressive at times and goes from the gut, rather than a strategic view of what should be done based on the game. It's pretty clear he is talking about mindless 2 point conversion attempts that from what I can tell nobody on this board can explain Tomlin's decisions because they are made based on his gut. Call that what you want, but it is not great coaching.

Tomlin is, overall, a good coach who is on pace for the HOF. He is not a great coach. He just isn't. Yet. But he's still young. And I am rooting for him. Terry should get on board. He's basically a good guy that tends to talk first and think later. After his prior alienation from the team, he should know better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nonsense... so Tomlin has to go by the book on 2pt conversions in order to be considered great? Forget the wins and losses and knock him down a few notches because he is aggressive?

This is laughable.

Whns and losses... that's all that really matters when it comes to HC's.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so here's mine Bradshaw wasn't great, to me he was an interception waiting to happen and just like the Tomlin inherited great players argument, Terry played with some players that were great and made him look better than he was.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    smh.. this is a damn shame. Tomlin has 2 SB appearances, 1 Ring, won AFC North 4x, is 101-57 (.639) & fastest in team history to 100 wins.

It's a shame he still has to hear this type of crap from idiots like Bradshaw who are desperate to get attention. Of course Jason Whitlock would agree because he loves to bash any black man in sports who is successful.

The jealousy and unrealistic expectations for Black coaches is insane. How the hell do you have a record like Tomlins and get called a cheerleader? Freaking clowns.

If someone can't address a point of view like this without bringing race into it, or without making ad hominem attacks on someone with an opposing point of view (like was done on Whitlock) - if that's the best they've got, they've lost the argument. Not to mention, a lot of people will just walk on by and not pay attention when that's what they hear.

Whether Tomlin is a great coach or not can be answered irrespective of race, just as it can with any other coach. He's done a lot of good things, but also a lot of bonehead things. And one playoff win in what, 5 or 6 years with the talent we've had is damning in my opinion. Finally, those losses to horrible teams over the years have kept us out of the playoffs more than once (and at this point today could do so again this year). If someone is going to judge a coach's greatness on their record, they can't be selectively blind to things like that.

(More subjectively, the inability of Tomlin-led teams to change their game plans when things aren't going well, and his atrocious clock management don't screen greatness to me).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Nonsense... so Tomlin has to go by the book on 2pt conversions in order to be considered great? Forget the wins and losses and knock him down a few notches because he is aggressive?

This is laughable.

Whns and losses... that's all that really matters when it comes to HC's.
    That's your opinion. Not everyone shares it. Tomlin's recent playoff record is not great (to say the least). The team has regularly played down to opponents with sub-par records. Whitlock's bottomline on Tomlin was that he has the best job in sports and has not "maxed it out" and I basically agree.

This team is very lucky to have Mike Tomlin as a coach. Most coaches would not have accomplished what Tomlin has with the Steelers. But that does not automatically him a great coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    If someone can't address a point of view like this without bringing race into it, or without making ad hominem attacks on someone with an opposing point of view (like was done on Whitlock) - if that's the best they've got, they've lost the argument. Not to mention, a lot of people will just walk on by and not pay attention when that's what they hear.

Whether Tomlin is a great coach or not can be answered irrespective of race, just as it can with any other coach. He's done a lot of good things, but also a lot of bonehead things. And one playoff win in what, 5 or 6 years with the talent we've had is damning in my opinion. Finally, those losses to horrible teams over the years have kept us out of the playoffs more than once (and at this point today could do so again this year). If someone is going to judge a coach's greatness on their record, they can't be selectively blind to things like that.

(More subjectively, the inability of Tomlin-led teams to change their game plans when things aren't going well, and his atrocious clock management don't screen greatness to me).

Now that's rich. Jason Whitlocks career was built on race.

I'm bringing up race because Terry said Tomlin is a cheerleader and he doesn't know what he does. Wtf? Yet, somehow Cowhers was "relatable" to Bradshaw? I wonder why?

Would any other white coach with Tomlins record get that type of criticism? Helllll no. As far as Tomlin being the reason we lost games due to clock management? Yeah, OK. It wasn't the fumbles, interceptions, missed tackles, injuries, etc. I have no problem with people pointing out Tomlins flaws but to act like that's why we "lost" games is laughable.

We doubled down on an old defense and it didn't work out. Ben is awesome but the guy gets hurt and misses games damn near every year. Bell hasn't played in a playoff game yet because he keeps getting hurt. Bryant can't stop getting high. Now, we can blame Tomlin for some of these things but another way to view is in spite of Ben missing games, Bryant getting high, old vets like Keisel, Casey, Farrior, Hines, Troy and Ike retiring we have found ways to stay relevant instead of being garbage on the field.

You dont INT win in the NFL by accident or by cheerleading.

Its so disrespectful it's not even funny.