Thread: DHB A Very Rich Man Thanks to Mom

Legend

User Info Menu

DHB A Very Rich Man Thanks to Mom

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-first-round-flop-still-has-nearly-all-of-his-35-million-because-of-his-mom/

Darrius Heyward-Bey (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/564881/darrius-heywardbey) has been in the NFL since 2009, when the Oakland Raiders (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/OAK/oakland-raiders) made him the No. 7 overall pick in the draft despite somewhat underwhelming college statistics. Heyward-Bey was a speedster, though, and there was nothing late Raiders owner Al Davis liked more than a tall, speedy wideout, and so Heyward-Bey was drafted far earlier than most prognosticators had him coming off the board.
    Heyward-Bey, now a solid sub-package wideout with the Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers), did not exactly live up to the high draft status: He totaled 140 catches for 2,071 yards and 11 touchdowns in four seasons with the Raiders, and wasn't signed to a second contract with the team. Heyward-Bey's rookie contract with the Raiders did pay him $30.3 million, though, and he's earned an additional $4.4 million in the four seasons since then.
    That brings him pretty close to $35 million in career earnings, and according to Heyward-Bey, he still has almost all of it left -- thanks to his mother. Heyward-Bey's mother, Vivian, is a certified public accountant, and she keeps track of all of his finances, in exchange for a commission.
    "I get an email [from her] every Tuesday," Heyward-Bey said, per ESPN.com (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17964162/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-darrius-heyward-bey-saved-most-career-earnings-thanks-mother). "I can read it over, check it up. I see where the money is going."
    Heyward-Bey told ESPN that he and his mother specify a monthly allowance he uses for his spending money, an allowance that grows over time because he keeps saving more and more. "I don't have any kid and I'm not married, so the money I spend is on me. It's really easy to say no to myself," Heyward-Bey said. "I keep things real simple. I'm not really a flashy guy. I understand what I want to buy. I invest my money well and pay my taxes."
    With all the stories you hear about players either spending their money too quickly, getting conned out of money by crooked financial managers, or getting sucked dry due to clingy hangers-on, it's great to hear about at least one player that has a solid system of support behind him that is helping him save for his future after football.

Legend

User Info Menu

I never would have imagined that a kid who was drafted so high would be happy coming to Pittsburgh and becoming a ST/WR4. He seems to be an everyday kind of guy who realizes how lucky he has been to earn millions of dollars playing football. Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I never would have imagined that a kid who was drafted so high would be happy coming to Pittsburgh and becoming a ST/WR4. He seems to be an everyday kind of guy who realizes how lucky he has been to earn millions of dollars playing football. Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

It's pretty clear that DHB was grossly over-drafted by Al Davis. Most scouts had him 4th rd or lower. If he had actually been drafted at that point, given his current play you could honestly say you got value.

The Steelers have given him a chance and he's made the best of it. Good for DHB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's pretty clear that DHB was grossly over-drafted by Al Davis. Most scouts had him 4th rd or lower. If he had actually been drafted at that point, given his current play you could honestly say you got value.

The Steelers have given him a chance and he's made the best of it. Good for DHB.
    Agreed 100%. Everybody in the NFL knew he was overdrafted but Al. But then hearing the hype and pocketing $30M can change a guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Overdrafted Yes

but it no way he goes later then the 2nd round. Some
    were mocking him in the late first round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

A 4th round talent drafted in the 1st, you say? Then why haven't there been countless anti-DHB threads by Oviedo?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A 4th round talent drafted in the 1st, you say? Then why haven't there been countless anti-DHB threads by Oviedo?
    Because it was the Raiders, not the Steelers, who drafted him in the 1st?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    My guess is that an increasing number of players are getting financially smart that way. They see the mistakes committed by their predecessors and learn. Not many Vince Youngs (and even he has cleaned up his act).

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this was posted already. Still good to read. Any word on DHB returning? He was our second best WR this year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"