Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants and Eli - we're not playing the JV anymore

Legend

User Info Menu

Giants and Eli - we're not playing the JV anymore

Our defense has been playing better these last two games, but the competition has been laughably bad.

I wonder what kind of defensive game plan we'll need to beat those guys.

Probably needs to start with a 35-point game by the offense!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Whatever D scheme the Giants use Ben will be able to read it and go to the correct guy and Manning will do the same thing. We're not going to fool him it's more a case of execution. Single high man under worked well against the Colts with some blitzing off the edge. Manning would be best pressured with A gap fire.
    As it always does it comes down to making more plays then them....block better,tackle better, rush the qb better.
    I agree 30+ points is likely needed. No reason to believe we can't win this game but it is much more the "players" then the "plays".

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's 6 games now the defense has held the opponent to 16 points or less. That's pretty good. Not surprisingly, those are also all 6 wins for the team.

For as much as everyone likes to talk about the offense, the numbers show that defense still wins games

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    That's 6 games now the defense has held the opponent to 16 points or less. That's pretty good. Not surprisingly, those are also all 6 wins for the team.

For as much as everyone likes to talk about the offense, the numbers show that defense still wins games
    Looking deeper, only the chiefs scored 2 TDs of those 6 games. And that was after the Steelers were up 43-7 and they got their 2nd TD with 8 second left in the game.

The 'bend but don't break' defense, when executed well, leads to wins. The offense has not yet carried the team to victory in a tight game or shootout. That's the strangest thing to me about this team this year after the results the past few seasons.

I think that is also why, to me, it feels like such a down year up to this point. The team hasnt put a true dagger into anyone yet when it matters most.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Our defense has been playing better these last two games, but the competition has been laughably bad.

I think some of Cleveland's players had given up before the game started but I disagree about Indianapolis being that bad. They played hard. That was an important game and Tolzien played well enough for them to win. If his receivers had caught a few of those dropped passes, and if they had scored when they got down to the one yard line, that game could have been close.

But Pittsburgh's defense is looking much better. Butler is moving guys around and bringing heat from different areas. Hargrave, Davis and Burns are factors. The pressure has been good the last two games. The Giants don't have a potent high scoring offense. Eli is not having a big season, and I don't think he is as mobile as Tolzien. If they can pressure Eli, the Steelers won't need 35 to win that game. Manning will take some hits and go down.

Legend

User Info Menu

No worries. The board experts say that we play down to less talented competition and Tomlin has no idea to prepare for these teams. Since the Giants are supposedly not "JV" we should be guaranteed to win

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No worries. The board experts say that we play down to less talented competition and Tomlin has no idea to prepare for these teams. Since the Giants are supposedly not "JV" we should be guaranteed to win
    Well that's good news

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Whatever D scheme the Giants use Ben will be able to read it and go to the correct guy and Manning will do the same thing. We're not going to fool him it's more a case of execution. Single high man under worked well against the Colts with some blitzing off the edge. Manning would be best pressured with A gap fire.
    As it always does it comes down to making more plays then them....block better,tackle better, rush the qb better.
    I agree 30+ points is likely needed. No reason to believe we can't win this game but it is much more the "players" then the "plays".
    Maybe I missed it but it seemed like we went Tampa 2 after getting burned on 3rd and long. Mitchell isn't fast enough to cover that much ground. Cockrell also looks like garbage lately. I hope we bring pressure on Eli since he doesn't like getting hit. He will throw the ball away in a heartbeat if he hears footsteps.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

I'm not sold the defense is playing better, but do agree the opponents have been pathetic. There were multiple reasons why last night's game wasn't close, including poor HC decisions by the Colts.

The goal line defense?; that was simply spectacular. The Steelers defense does well in close spaces but they are still truly awful defending the open field.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Mitchell is plenty fast and Cockrell played pretty well last night...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.