Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants and Eli - we're not playing the JV anymore

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Nope not annoyed by Bell or AB.
    If they get penalties then yes i will be annoyed.
    I also don't watch games in bars so i know what i'm talking about.
    Never miss a play.
    I use proof to argue my points unlike you. I don't really see it as wasting time while i'm lying on my couch watching the Sunday night game.
    You love to flap your gums and call people names when they don't agree with you.
    Mitchell is a cheap shot artist and laid Pryor out when the game meant nothing.
    He strutted around while the guy laid there injured. I'd rather Mitchell pick the ball off then show up a second late and blast the guy.
    You don't see Harrison do shlt like that do you?
    Mitchell looked like a dam fool in that Ravens game. His angle on Elliots TD catch was horrendous. His tackling
    Perhaps you were refilling your drink and didn't catch those.
    Mitchell's hit on Pryor was clean that's what he is supposed to do and that is a fact. Also he went up to Pryor during the stoppage to make sure he was ok, same thing with Hilton.

On the Elliot play, Mitchell was lined up on the opposite side of the field, he has to come across the field and try to catch an Olympic class sprinter with a wall of blockers.

The only valid gripe you have is the angle he took on Wallace's td, but we could take any guy on any team and find bad plays and missed opportunities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Mitchell's hit on Pryor was clean that's what he is supposed to do and that is a fact. Also he went up to Pryor during the stoppage to make sure he was ok, same thing with Hilton.

On the Elliot play, Mitchell was lined up on the opposite side of the field, he has to come across the field and try to catch an Olympic class sprinter with a wall of blockers.

The only valid gripe you have is the angle he took on Wallace's td, but we could take any guy on any team and find bad plays and missed opportunities.
    wait, I thought Pete watched all the games?

Players miss tackles and it's a valid gripe but most of the frustration Mitchell sounds personal. There was nothing cheap about his hit on Pryor.

some people may think I give Mitchell a pass but I just call it like I see it. Most of the gripes about what "might happen" are baseless. What actually happens is what people should complain about instead of projecting in hopes that some day it comes true so they can say "I told you so"
    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

People seem to hate on Mitchell for being a loudmouth. Joey Porter is maybe the biggest loudmouth in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers yet was generally beloved. Why is that? Is it because Porter was homegrown and Mitchell is still viewed as an outsider coming in from another organization? Why does he rub people the wrong way but Porter didn't?

I just don't get it. Mitchell is exactly what Steelers fans should love in a safety. He plays with incredible passion, plays hurt and crushes people with little concern for his own well-being. I love having him on the team and if Sean Davis can keep progressing, the back end of the defense will be a good one very soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    People seem to hate on Mitchell for being a loudmouth. Joey Porter is maybe the biggest loudmouth in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers yet was generally beloved. Why is that? Is it because Porter was homegrown and Mitchell is still viewed as an outsider coming in from another organization? Why does he rub people the wrong way but Porter didn't?

I just don't get it. Mitchell is exactly what Steelers fans should love in a safety. He plays with incredible passion, plays hurt and crushes people with little concern for his own well-being. I love having him on the team and if Sean Davis can keep progressing, the back end of the defense will be a good one very soon.
    Production in all likelihood is the reason. Joey Porter was a productive OLB for the Steelers for many years; Mike Mitchell has yet to be anywhere near as productive a safety as Porter was an OLB. The secondary has been an issue now for a few years and while Mitchell isn't the sole culprit he is one of the players who has been part of a porous secondary.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Production in all likelihood is the reason. Joey Porter was a productive OLB for the Steelers for many years; Mike Mitchell has yet to be anywhere near as productive a safety as Porter was an OLB. The secondary has been an issue now for a few years and while Mitchell isn't the sole culprit he is one of the players who has been part of a porous secondary.

Pappy
    How productive is a safety in Pittsburgh generally going to be tho? Other than Polamalu who was a freak of nature. Ryan Clark's high in interceptions as a Steeler was 3 in 2009 and he had only 3 forced fumbles in his career w/Pittsburgh. This isn't a knock on Clark, I loved him as a player here, but last year Mitchell had 3 INT's and 2 forced fumbles.

The poor secondary now has more to do with having poor to average corners and not having a true stud like Polamalu in his prime (like Clark did). Pinning it on Mitchell is nuts, IMO
    Last edited by steelsnis; 11-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

How productive is a safety in Pittsburgh generally going to be tho? Other than Polamalu who was a freak of nature. Ryan Clark's high in interceptions as a Steeler was 3 in 2009 and he had only 1 forced fumble in his career w/Pittsburgh. This isn't a knock on Clark, I loved him as a player here, but last year Mitchell had 3 INT's and 2 forced fumbles.

The poor secondary now has more to do with having poor to average corners and not having a true stud like Polamalu in his prime (like Clark did). Pinning it on Mitchell is nuts, IMO
    secondary also can't cover forever.

we had 11 sacks the first 8 or 9 games as a team. If we had the front 7 we had when Troy and Clark were here I bet Mitchell looks better. He was great in Carolina but it's because they got tons of pressure with their front 4.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

so I was curious why I have such an issue with Mitchell and decided to check out Ryan Clark's history with the PIT defense. Clark was known as a hard hitting free safety and I thought he was great on the defense.
    How does Mitchell stack up with Clark? Clark averaged 83 total tackles a season while with the Steelers. Mitchell is averaging 68 but a smaller data set. If you factor in that Clark had the advantage of a much stronger DL, you could argue Mitchell is doing reasonably well.

However, I also don't ever recall Clark making comments like "Steve, I'm coming" or "“He's on my lifetime hit list."

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that Mitchell is very feast or famine. He comes up with some huge hits, but being a gambler like that also means that he has his share if missed plays. He can go from awesome to garbage, back to good, all in the same series.

I think that a "glass half-empty" person sees his blown plays without giving credit for the big plays. The "glass half-full" guy goes the other way. I just prefer to watch a guy from play to ply who has potential to do both.

Legend

User Info Menu

How productive is a safety in Pittsburgh generally going to be tho? Other than Polamalu who was a freak of nature. Ryan Clark's high in interceptions as a Steeler was 3 in 2009 and he had only 3 forced fumbles in his career w/Pittsburgh. This isn't a knock on Clark, I loved him as a player here, but last year Mitchell had 3 INT's and 2 forced fumbles.

Right on the mark

Legend

User Info Menu

Mitchells hit on Pryor was a shoulder stuck out like a punk with 3+ minutes left in the game. Illegal no, cheap shot yes He could've injured the guy for life on a meaningless play. He walked around strutting & bobbing his head while Pryor layed on the floor. I love when safeties make big hits and know exactly what they're supposed to do. With the NFL concentrating on player safety and instructing refs to throw the flag when in doubt i can't understand how some of you justify Mitchells play. He's a loud mouth that doesn't back up his play. Another poster mentioned Porter as a loud mouth and he sure was. He actually backed up his mouth with his play.
    I'm glad you guys are satisfied with mediocre safety play.
    I laugh when you say i have a personal gripe with Mitchell...LOL
    The guy is average and people praise him like he's some kind of special talent. In my opinion he's a big reason why our pass defense has been so bad the last few years.
    I guess a 15 yarder towards the end of a game that puts a team into FG range wouldn't count as losing a game. I can't believe how obtuse you are feltdizz?
    It happened 2 years ago, perhaps your memory is not so great?
    I'm not sure if you're just a troll or for real?
    Last edited by pittpete; 11-28-2016 at 10:25 PM.