Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do the young Steelers want to be great?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think you are making a case, one that I don't necessarily agree with. McCullers is the classic underachiever, but I think it is unfair to lump everyone else in there. Everything you say is true. However, I'm unwilling to say these guys don't take their job seriously. Take Bell. Every game I've ever seen of him, he plays hard and doesn't back down. Same with Martavis. Remember when Ben challenged him to step his game up last year, he did. Shazier, for as much as I knock the guy's physical toughness, I still think he has a good mindset in knowing what it takes to be a Steeler.

All those you mentioned (besides McCullers), I'm still fairly confident will continue to mature. I'm interested in seeing how Gilbert matures the rest of this year. I imagine the staff has a role for him today against his old team.
    I see where you are going and don't completely disagree. What I will say is that smoking pot hurts the team. It also sends a message to younger players that you can put your desires above the teams needs. This kind of toxic thinking can permeate a locker room. It doesn't take much to turn a 11-5 team into a 5-11 team.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Many of these guys have been entitled since high school.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I must agree with this especially about cutting a few underachievers. As good as Bryant is and as much potential McCullers has I think the team should have moved on both. Bryant is one positive drug test from smoking himself out of the league. McCullers allowed a rookie NT to beat him out. If starting for the Steelers can't light a fire nothing will. Those two cuts would send a message...no one is above the team.
    Wasn't McCullers a 6th rounder?

Sometimes a a guy is who he is and a rookie is better. McCullers is from Tennessee right? They have a knack for underachieving and didn't live up to expectations this year. I think it's one of those college programs who coddle their players. I went there for a year and they are treated like rock stars.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Yep. It's the age of 'participation trophies'.... yoi...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yep. It's the age of 'participation trophies'.... yoi...
    Oh no, I mean legit entitlement. At certain high schools in certain places in the country, high school football players are treated like they are above everyone else...it continues into college...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Steelers need to do a better job of finding players with team-first attitudes.

Legend

User Info Menu

When the Steelers string together a couple of wins, all the ridiculous psychoanalysis will stop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Wasn't McCullers a 6th rounder?

Sometimes a a guy is who he is and a rookie is better. McCullers is from Tennessee right? They have a knack for underachieving and didn't live up to expectations this year. I think it's one of those college programs who coddle their players. I went there for a year and they are treated like rock stars.
    I get that he was a 6th rounder. It doesn't invalidate the argument. Drafting slugs without a motivation to play isn't acceptable in any round.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    When the Steelers string together a couple of wins, all the ridiculous psychoanalysis will stop.
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on that.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on that.
    Yeah, the ridiculous psychoanalysis will forever remain regardless of outcome...it's just a different kind of ridiculous psychoanalysis when we win compared to the ridiculous psychoanalysis when we lose. Ridiculous psychoanalysis is what we do best here!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.