Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a shame that I'm no longer surprised by these losses?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Giving up 30 points to Miami is a joke. I'm done with this defense. I don't think this clown show can be fixed regardless of who was hurt.
    The D gave up the big chunks after the half mostly. The O couldn't hang on to the ball. The D was exhausted. They were probably also demoralized by the knowledge that it was all in vain -- the O didn't look like it was going to be able to catch up.

We didn't have a decent pass rush, but I think that if the O had shown up the D would've been night-and-day different.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Giving up 30 points to Miami is a joke. I'm done with this defense. I don't think this clown show can be fixed regardless of who was hurt.
    I agree with your sentiment 100%. And next week, it is bound to be ugly with those cheats* coming to town.

It's not to say that we won't be in the playoffs or that it won't be a fun ride, but... I can't recall a championship team who gets manhandled the way we get manhandled on defense. It is like we quit. I know we don't, but that what it looks like.

I guess I'll go and see what Pittsburgh Dad has produced for this one. Should be fun.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Another road game against a terrible team, and another putrid effort all around. The defense got worse as they wore down, but how were they unable to generate any pressure against a team that cut 2 starting lineman after last week? The execution and the playcalling on offense was also awful. Outside of Bell, it's tough to think of anybody on either side of the ball who performed well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Another road game against a terrible team, and another putrid effort all around. The defense got worse as they wore down, but how were they unable to generate any pressure against a team that cut 2 starting lineman after last week? The execution and the playcalling on offense was also awful. Outside of Bell, it's tough to think of anybody on either side of the ball who performed well.
    Case in point, Steelers down 9-8, 3rd and 1 with LJones at QB. Bell ripping the defense with running and what does Haley call??!?! A freaking pass play on a 7 step drop!! Nevermind that the Miami DL was harassing BR all game. Coaches fool themselves into thinking Jones could actually complete a pass against an all out blitz. The odds say give it to Bell gives you the best chance to make a first down.

Coaches should be taking the majority of blame for this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah North i scratched my head on that also..Too fancy sometimes

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Their old name was the "Steel Curtain".

Their new name is the "Candy Ass Curtain".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    They inserted their first round pick this year and Brandon Albert into the starting line up. Both didn't play last week.
    They joined 2 first round picks in poincey and juwon james

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers defense offered minimal resistance to a Miami offense that came into the game ranked No. 31 in the NFL in rushing, No. 30 in interceptions thrown, No. 32 in sacks allowed per pass attempt, No. 31 in third down conversions, and No. 28 in points scored.

Miami rushed for 222 yards and had 474 total yards (Allowed a RB to rush for 200 for the first time in 16 years – a RB who had never rushed for more than 48 yards in a game and had 117 in 5 games this year total). Miami converted 50% of 3rd downs and had a 13 minute edge on time of possession. The D had 0 sacks against the second most sacked QB in the NFL.

Dulac’s report card (Pgh Post-Gazette) on the D:

D-line: F
    Linebackers: F
    Secondary: F

Legend

User Info Menu

A caller on Charlie Batch's post-game show pointed out that in the last 16 road games, the Steelers are 5-11. That is truly pitiful.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Steelers defense offered minimal resistance to a Miami offense that came into the game ranked No. 31 in the NFL in rushing, No. 30 in interceptions thrown, No. 32 in sacks allowed per pass attempt, No. 31 in third down conversions, and No. 28 in points scored.

Miami rushed for 222 yards and had 474 total yards (Allowed a RB to rush for 200 for the first time in 16 years – a RB who had never rushed for more than 48 yards in a game and had 117 in 5 games this year total). Miami converted 50% of 3rd downs and had a 13 minute edge on time of possession. The D had 0 sacks against the second most sacked QB in the NFL.

Dulac’s report card (Pgh Post-Gazette) on the D:

D-line: F
    Linebackers: F
    Secondary: F
    The D tees off the O. Our D has always shone when the O wins the TOP battle.

Tomlin blamed interceptions and the run D. That's rubbish. The team was struggling badly even before the the first int, and at that point had not really given up big runs, and I think had only given up one bad pass play. On the other hand the O had *one* serious series -- in which DHB made it to the EZ.

The Miami D had our OL in their grasp. Our feckless OC didn't switch to the obvious short-passing game to respond. He didn't even use Bell, who was rushing up a storm when he ran. It was downhill from there.