Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After 2 games, what are the thoughts on Jarvis?

Legend

User Info Menu

After 2 games, what are the thoughts on Jarvis?

I see the same guy we saw last year and the year before. Very good against the run, but not very good rushing the Quarterback.

He doesn't have any moves that will get him in the face of a qb.

Hopefully Dupree will get back in the game by week 9 or whenever, but we need a guy on the other side. Chickillo looked as impressive as JJ in his pass rush, maybe even weaker, but it's early for him yet and he's a bit of a project.

Do we need to spend yet another round 1 on an OLB? All I know is JJ isn't the OLB of the future unless he has a miraculous turn around this season. Even then, I'd be concerned.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers seem to have made their decision on Jarvis...they will use him while he is here, but I have no doubt that they'll look for another OLB in the next draft...maybe not a target at #1 (unless BPA)...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, it's interesting that he's getting a higher percentage of snaps than he ever has. If he wants to stay with us, I think that is a good sign. If we had a dominant guy opposite him, I think he'd be more a candidate to stay (i.e. a Clark Haggans to a Joey Porter). One thing that really looks bad on our outside guys, is that Tuitt and Heyward consistently bring heat from the inside--it means that the outside guys should get their share from the by-product. But they aren't.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I see the same guy we saw last year and the year before. Very good against the run, but not very good rushing the Quarterback.

He doesn't have any moves that will get him in the face of a qb.

Hopefully Dupree will get back in the game by week 9 or whenever, but we need a guy on the other side. Chickillo looked as impressive as JJ in his pass rush, maybe even weaker, but it's early for him yet and he's a bit of a project.

Do we need to spend yet another round 1 on an OLB? All I know is JJ isn't the OLB of the future unless he has a miraculous turn around this season. Even then, I'd be concerned.
    JJ is solid against the run. He isn't a sack master. Doesn't mean he isn't valuable in our scheme. He won't get top dollar and should be affordable. I would keep him and keep drafting OLB's cause it's what we do and who we are.

Keep drafting them until you find a stud.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The game plan hasn't really been about sacks so far. I see our guys dropping A LOT. I'll also take 49 yards rushing by the opponent. In fact, I'd much rather have a guy who can seal his edge and push plays back inside than a guy who gets a sack here and there. Making teams one dimensional is more important than a few big plays. Sound football wins championships.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    The game plan hasn't really been about sacks so far. I see our guys dropping A LOT. I'll also take 49 yards rushing by the opponent. In fact, I'd much rather have a guy who can seal his edge and push plays back inside than a guy who gets a sack here and there. Making teams one dimensional is more important than a few big plays. Sound football wins championships.
    Yeah, but don't you think dropping more is a function of who we have on our LB corps? I mean if we had Von Miller, or a prime James Harrison, I doubt they'd be making those guys drop and cover too often. (Especially this week, where a veteran guy like that Bengal LT who generally can handle Harrison at this point. Harrison feasts on young Tackles these days.)
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, but don't you think dropping more is a function of who we have on our LB corps? I mean if we had Von Miller, or a prime James Harrison, I doubt they'd be making those guys drop and cover too often. (Especially this week, where a veteran guy like that Bengal LT who generally can handle Harrison at this point. Harrison feasts on young Tackles these days.)
    No, I think it's more a result of thoughtful gameplanning. Teams expect us to blitz nonstop and then they dink and dunk us to death. Our front three are awesome at stopping the run so we can drop more guys in coverage to stop that dinking and dunking. What's surprised me is how well we've executed our run blitzes when the other team is actually running the ball

Legend

User Info Menu

Same old useless Jarvis. Even now his most ardent fans boys have to admit he doesn't have it and never did. Still not athletic enough to be a difference maker

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Exactly on point. They are dropping him because he can't get to the QB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly on point. They are dropping him because he can't get to the QB
    No one can. They've been quick drops and passes. The few times that they've dropped and let a pass develop we haven't rushed. I guess you'd rather have 2 or 3 sacks a game but allow AJ Green to get 7-8 passes for 150.