Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: How many kneel downs during the anthem on Monday

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OT: How many kneel downs during the anthem on Monday

Just wondering -- are any of the Steelers going to do the Kapernick thing?

Not commenting on the correctness or otherwise of it. Just wondering how the Steelers roll..

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Al says zero

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Alejandro Villanueva said he feels as though he won the lottery three times every time he is paid to play a football game in America. And, no matter where he is or what he is doing, he said he stops and sings every word of the national anthem whenever it is played.
    It is not easy for Villanueva, the Steelers starting left tackle and a player of Spanish descent, to see someone, particularly a millionaire athlete, not support the country where he lives and works. Especially when Villanueva spent three tours of duty in Afghanistan as a former Army Ranger and saw minority servicemen lose their lives fighting to protect U.S. freedom.
    That’s why it’s difficult for Villanueva to not be critical of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who did not stand for the national anthem before Friday night’s home preseason game against the Green Bay Packers to protest what he called U.S. oppression against blacks and minorities.
    “I agree that America is not perfect, I agree there are lot of issues with minorities in this country, I agree we should do something about it,” Villanueva said. “But I don’t know if the most effective way is to sit down when the national anthem of the country that is providing you freedom and providing you $60 million a year is the best way to do it when there are black minorities that are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and protecting our freedom for less than $20,000 a year.”
    Villanueva was an active member of the U.S. Army from 2010 to 2013 before coming to the Steelers. He was awarded numerous medals for his service, including the Bronze Star Medal for Valor. His father was a Lieutenant Commander in the Spanish Navy and also worked for NATO.
    It bothers him Kaeperinick has a platform to express his opinion because of the military members who died protecting the very same freedom that allows him to express his opinion.
    “I just know I’m very thankful to be an American,” Villanueva said Monday. “I will stand very proudly and sing every single line of the national anthem every single time I hear it. I will stop whatever I’m doing because I recognize I have to be very thankful to be in this country.”
    “I tell my teammates all the time, especially when they talk about contracts, I’m one of the cheapest left tackles in the NFL [but] just by being an American I’ve won three lotteries. And if you have a little money on top of me, that means I have 3 ½ lotteries.
    “I’ve been very fortunate to travel a lot and see what it’s like in different countries. I’ve experienced true racism that happens in Europe with a lot of minorities. It’s very difficult for me to be here in America, as grateful as I am, in the best country in the world, and have people not be pleased about it.”
    Villanueva said he understands Kaepernick’s right to speak and act freely, even if people don’t agree with it. But, as an athlete who can use the media for a national platform, Villanueva said Kaepernick needs to be more careful.
    “I think he’s obviously upset and I think we all agree, the majority of America would agree, there’s an issue with minorities in our country, the way some groups in our population are being treated,” Villanueva said. “I just think not standing up for America is a little bit unfair on his part because he’s not taking into consideration the minorities that are fighting for the flag, like myself, the thousands of people who lay their lives so he can express himself.”
    Villanueva’s teammates agreed.
    “I just wish people could talk openly without calling someone racist, without calling someone anti-American, and have a conversation about it,” guard David DeCastro said. “I don’t think people realize how good they have it in this country. It’s not perfect, but there are a lot of things people take for granted. Obviously, there are things we’ve got to work on, but to disrespect the flag is pretty tough.”
    Defensive end Cam Heyward said the playing of the national anthem before a game is “the time I take very personal” and he uses the moment to “show dedication and salute” the military people who serve the U.S.
    “I think I heard something where [Kaepernick] wasn’t trying to offend the military because he has family from military,” Heyward said. “But, at the same time, then use another forum, take the presser after a game or time to really address it. I understand you feel very strongly but there are still people that fight and respect your country."
    Heyward was asked if it would bother him if one of his teammates elected to do what Kaepernick did before a game.
    “No, it’s not going to break my heart,” Heyward said. “But, at the same time, I’m going to make sure I show respect. And he better have a damn good reason supporting why he doesn’t want to do it.”
    Last edited by fordfixer; 09-10-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I predict that Ben kneels down as the clock runs down in the 4th quarter...victory formation.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many fans will kneel during the anthem in protest of the Washington team name?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers will lead the league in non-kneelers.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

How many fans at home that have a problem with it will actually stand up during the national anthem?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why do we even have a national anthem before all sporting events? I have to admit, I think it's silly every time they sing it at any event except for the Olympics. What's the point? The NFL, NHL, MLB, etc. are in business to make money, not rouse their crowds with a song of patriotism or nationalism.

It's not like it's about the song anyway. Just think about the SuperBowl. It's about who sings it, not the song. If I was an uber patriot/nationalist, I think I'd be bothered by that as disrespectful to the song anyway.

Seemingly, half the stadium is in line for the bathrooms, beer, or food when it's being sung most of the time anyway. So who cares what the players are doing at the time?

I gotta admit, I don't even understand what Kapernick's point is either. And it seems like it should be a non issue. I think he'd make more sense simply questioning what the song has to do with sports in the first place?

I also wondered why the atheists that go to games never protested the anthem, given one of the lines in the unsung verses is "And this be our motto, 'In God is our Trust'".

In all honesty, I've never felt patriotic after hearing the anthem at a game. On the flip side, I've screamed my head off after listening to Renegade at Heinz Field. Perhaps that should become the national anthem before Steelers games. It seems to serve it's purpose. It get's the crowd roused into a frenzy. If the national anthem doesn't get people going that same level of bonkers, there's no reason to play it at a game.

All that said, I've got nothing against anyone and just stand and sign along with my hat off out of respect to everyone else because it's the socially acceptable thing to do. But in the back of my head, I think it's a little silly every time. I suspect most people don't really understand it either, although most probably just go along without even thinking about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why do we even have a national anthem before all sporting events? I have to admit, I think it's silly every time they sing it at any event except for the Olympics. What's the point? The NFL, NHL, MLB, etc. are in business to make money, not rouse their crowds with a song of patriotism or nationalism.

It's not like it's about the song anyway. Just think about the SuperBowl. It's about who sings it, not the song. If I was an uber patriot/nationalist, I think I'd be bothered by that as disrespectful to the song anyway.

Seemingly, half the stadium is in line for the bathrooms, beer, or food when it's being sung most of the time anyway. So who cares what the players are doing at the time?

I gotta admit, I don't even understand what Kapernick's point is either. And it seems like it should be a non issue. I think he'd make more sense simply questioning what the song has to do with sports in the first place?

I also wondered why the atheists that go to games never protested the anthem, given one of the lines in the unsung verses is "And this be our motto, 'In God is our Trust'".

In all honesty, I've never felt patriotic after hearing the anthem at a game. On the flip side, I've screamed my head off after listening to Renegade at Heinz Field. Perhaps that should become the national anthem before Steelers games. It seems to serve it's purpose. It get's the crowd roused into a frenzy. If the national anthem doesn't get people going that same level of bonkers, there's no reason to play it at a game.

All that said, I've got nothing against anyone and just stand and sign along with my hat off out of respect to everyone else because it's the socially acceptable thing to do. But in the back of my head, I think it's a little silly every time. I suspect most people don't really understand it either, although most probably just go along without even thinking about it.

Tradition! Showing respect for a country that gives you the opportunity to safely watch games. The affluence to buy very expensive season tickets. Etc.

If you want to sit kneel whatever thats your choice. Do it in the bathroom or stay in the locker room if you are a player.

I travel a lot on business and have many friends internationally. Almost universally they comment on how impressed they are with so many American flags there are on houses and how much pride Americans have. They see it as a good thing and they typically wish it was more that way back home.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, as far as patriotic music goes, I'd much rather just hear a recording of Ray Charles' version of America the Beautiful before every game than listening to some random talentless diva try to pull off the Star Spangled Banner in an overdramatic fashion every time.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

I've never really liked the national anthem. When you think about it, the song is about surviving a sustained bombardment. That said, it seems needlessly divisive to refuse to stand to make a political point. That's my view and I hope none of the Steelers do it. There are better ways to speak up and make a difference.