Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might we be willing to trade with Philly for a CB for the second year in a row?

Legend

User Info Menu

Might we be willing to trade with Philly for a CB for the second year in a row?

This is complete speculation on my part (I have not seen this rumor anywhere else), but when I saw the following PFT article about former 2nd round pick Eric Rowe, it got me thinking.

I believe that we were really high on Eric Rowe in the draft last year (but Philly took him 9 slots ahead of us in round 2, and we ultimately ended up taking Senquez Golson with our second round pick).

It sounds like the H.C. Doug Pederson/D.C. Jim Schwartz coaching staff (who inherited him) doesn't feel that Rowe fits in with what they expect from their corners as much as the H.C. Chip Kelly/D.C. Billy Davis coaching staff (who drafted him) did.

If you have a 7th round rookie ahead of you on the depth chart after 1 week of camp, your role in that defense doesn't appear to be promising. Perhaps a change of scenery could be in the kid's best interest, particularly if our staff still thinks his skill set would be beneficial in the scheme we run.

We have a history of making preseason trades with this team before (even before the Brandon Boykin trade last year, we also acquired Felix Jones from them during camp a few years ago as well).

Eric Rowe listed with third team on Eagles depth chart

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2016, 11:19 AM EDT

Teams are releasing their first depth charts of the year ahead of the first week of preseason action and they give some sense of where players stand in their battles for playing time even as teams stress the unofficial nature of the charts.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson confirmed Tuesday that one of the more surprising entries on their depth chart can be taken as official, however. The Eagles have 2015 second-round pick Eric Rowe listed with the third team at cornerback with 2016 seventh-round Jalen Mills ahead of him on the second team.

Pederson said, via Les Bowen of Philly.com, that order is accurate “at this time” and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz explained recently what he likes about the rookie.

“He doesn’t shy away from matchups,” Schwartz said. “You need that in a corner. If you’re on the edge and you don’t embrace being on that island, you’re in the wrong business. You know, you go around here, I mean, Philly’s had a great history of some corners that were on islands that embraced that. I think Jalen has shown signs that he can do those things.”

The Eagles haven’t played a preseason game yet and some things will likely change once they do, but Rowe wouldn’t be the first player to see his fortunes change after a change in coaches. Schwartz is looking for different things than the Eagles were looking for last season and two of his charges in Buffalo — Leodis McKelvin and Ron Brooks — are listed as the first team corners at Philly’s camp.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/eric-rowe-listed-with-third-team-on-eagles-depth-chart/[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That would be incredible...loved rowe as a corner and safety

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    That would be incredible...loved rowe as a corner and safety
    I liked him a lot in the draft last year. Good size and the ability to probably play either corner or safety. I see him as a Sean Davis type in this defense, but better as a cover guy and not as much of a hitter.

If he could be had for a late round pick, you'd have to consider it.

Legend

User Info Menu

how'd jalen mills last till the 7th... wow

(is it bad that this was my first thought...?)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    how'd jalen mills last till the 7th... wow

(is it bad that this was my first thought...?)
    Fractured his left fibula (leg) and tore ligaments in his ankle a year ago.

Arrested for second-degree battery of a woman in the summer of 2014 (but the charges were eventually reduced to a misdemeanor and he was assigned to a diversion program).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would do it in a heartbeat

i will be extremely surprised if golson ever contributes in any meaningful way and gay is on the wrong side of 30. That leaves us burns, Davis, and cockrell. Adding a guy like Rowe might pay big dividends in a year or two

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i dont know how you can just write golson off at 23 years old...plenty of time left in his career to get healthy in contribute.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I would do it in a heartbeat

i will be extremely surprised if golson ever contributes in any meaningful way and gay is on the wrong side of 30. That leaves us burns, Davis, and cockrell. Adding a guy like Rowe might pay big dividends in a year or two
    Take it for what it's worth but in Bouchette's chat on the PG today; he said twice that it was 100% that Golson doesn't play this year. Seemed adamant about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont know how you can just write golson off at 23 years old...plenty of time left in his career to get healthy in contribute.
    I'm not gonna "write Golson off", but I think it would be prudent for the Steelers to look at some other options in case he never pans out. When a guy never sees the field for the first half of his rookie contract, as it appears may happen with Golson, then you'd be foolish to count on him for the future.

I hope they take a long, hard look at getting someone like Rowe. They may be gun-shy on making trades, though, after shipping picks last year for Scobee and Boykin.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So if Rowe came to Pittsburgh...then are you saying Davis is staying at corner? Are you giving up on Burns already?

To be honest...I don't want a trade like last year to happen...wasting a pick for a player that didn't start playing until the end of the year. No thanks.
    Last edited by Rara; 08-09-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa