Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell facing 4-game ban for missed drug test

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    It's the NFL's fault. They could have called Le'Veon's dealer and asked for the new contact info.
    Al Jazeera knows the truth...Le'Veon Bell is obviously involved in a dogfighting ring with Ashley Manning.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

this may set up nice for bell and his future Sprint network commercial....."Roger Goodell. can you hear me now"?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Al Jazeera knows the truth...Le'Veon Bell is obviously involved in a dogfighting ring with Ashley Manning.
    So both him and Ashley are Dog wacked

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

From Labriola's chat on Steelers.com:

STEVE MARSHALL FROM ENFIELD, CT:
    How does a player "miss" a drug test? Are the tests scheduled and the player forgets? Do they call the player but can't reach him? Do they show up at the player’s residence and the player refuses?

ANSWER: This is a complex process detailed by pages and pages of legalese, but I’m going to make some attempt to explain it briefly and as simply as possible. But please understand I cannot and will not attempt to cover every contingency, because it’s impossible. There are two categories of substances that can trigger punishment from the NFL – performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) and substances of abuse (SOAs). If a player is in the program for some previous violation of the SOA policy, he is subjected to random tests, which can number as many as 10 over a 30-day period. In these cases, a player is given a three-hour notice as to the administration of a random test, and players are required to provide accurate, up-to-date phone numbers and addresses. If the player cannot be reached, or if the player is somewhere other than the address given, and the three hours expires then that counts as a missed test.

JOHN DOMINY FROM LANOKA HARBOR, NJ:
    What kind of discipline can the Steelers place on Le’Veon Bell, or is time to cut the cord no matter how good he is?

ANSWER: The punishments players receive for violating either the substance abuse policy or the performance enhancing drugs policy have been collectively bargained between NFL management and the NFLPA. Those take precedence, which means the individual teams largely are prohibited from attempting to implement any of their own discipline beside what is called for in the labor agreement, especially when the infraction rises to the level of a suspension.

As to the “cut the cord” portion of your question, you aren’t the only one to suggest the Steelers take this action, but doing so at this time would make no sense to me. Bell’s talent is undeniable, and he was a first-team All-Pro running back in 2014. He is under contract through the 2016 season, and at a bargain rate. A suspended player isn’t paid, nor does he count against his team’s salary cap, during the term of the suspension, and this is not the time to be looking on the street for a franchise running back. Then there’s this: what if the suspension is overturned on appeal?

JORDAN KNAPTON FROM SALT LAKE CITY, UT:
    Will Le'Veon Bell's second suspension affect his contract negotiations?

ANSWER: Until there is a final determination on Le’Veon Bell’s appeal and a suspension either is imposed or not, and the length of said suspension is determined, I see it as impossible to be talking contract. It once was explained to me that in contract negotiations the trust factor becomes hugely significant as the dollar amounts rise. That teams must have a sense of trust with the player and in the player before committing the really big money. Yes, the outcome of this will have a huge impact on contract extension talks with Bell, but what that impact might be is impossible to predict until the events play out. Until then, I would guess everything is on hold.

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-July-26/131bf7b4-7ee9-4044-b179-b50666920d80[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

By Mike Florio
    July 27, 2016, 7:58 PM EDT
    Pessimism swirls regarding Le’Veon Bell’s chances on appeal

Yes, Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell has vowed to not miss any games after reportedly missing several drug tests. No, no one beyond a very small circle should have even known about the potential suspension until the appeal process had concluded.

Regardless, the cat has escaped from the bag — and based on information PFT has gathered there’s a strong sense Bell won’t be escaping the suspension.

Even with neutral arbitration now available in suspensions arising under the substance-abuse policy and the PED policy, none in the know believe Bell has a strong chance to win the appeal.

It’s been suggested that Bell changed phones and didn’t receive notice of the tests. If that’s his defense, it’s hard to imagine it flying. For a guy in the program, surely an obligation exists to notify all appropriate persons of a change in cell service. Otherwise, a guy could avoid testing simply by buying a new phone.

Bell’s appeal possibly will be finalized before Week One. For now, the smartest move for the Steelers will be to assume that DeAngelo Williams will once again carry the load early in the season after Bell makes his exit following the fourth preseason game.

Legend

User Info Menu

I know no one wants to hear this but it's tine to address running back in the first three rounds in the 2017 draft. Between health issues and drug issues Bell is having a hard time seeing the field. Someone will pay Bell big money but I don't believe it will be the Steelers. What kind of message would it send. Hey keep doing drugs and get big money contracts. No, as much as I love Bell it's time to let him walk unless he is very reasonable in his contract demands.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I know no one wants to hear this but it's tine to address running back in the first three rounds in the 2017 draft. Between health issues and drug issues Bell is having a hard time seeing the field. Someone will pay Bell big money but I don't believe it will be the Steelers. What kind of message would it send. Hey keep doing drugs and get big money contracts. No, as much as I love Bell it's time to let him walk unless he is very reasonable in his contract demands.
    Bryant and Bell's exploits are making upcoming financial decisions much easier. Give the big money deals to guys who truly deserve it like Antonio Brown and David DeCastro as opposed to guys who are supremely talented but have proven to be unreliable options based upon their off field decision making.

Even before this suspension happened, I was surprised that we didn't jump on a RB in round 4 of the last draft when Devontae Booker and Kenneth Dixon fell into the 3rd day of the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Multiple suspensions expose Cowboys, Steelers to major fines
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2016, 9:58 AM EDT

Nearly a decade ago, the NFL crafted a policy aimed at promoting good player behavior by requiring teams to surrender a portion of a suspended player’s lost salary as a fine, if multiple players are suspended in a given year.

In 2013, the then-five-year-old policy likely cost the Seahawks more than $60,000 for a trio of suspensions to offensive lineman Allen Barbre, safety Winston Guy, and cornerback Brandon Browner. The Rams likely faced a similar problem in 2013, due to multiple player suspensions.

As noted by Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the policy that was first applied to the Cowboys in 2008 will be applied to them again, given the suspensions of Randy Gregory, Demarcus Lawrence, and Rolando McClain. The policy as currently written requires in the event of three suspensions the payment of 25 percent of the collective forfeited base salary to the league, with a maximum payment of $250,000.

With Gregory due to make $608,406 in 2016, Lawrence on the books this year for $920,604, and McClain owed $1.25 million, the Cowboys easily got to the $250,000 ceiling. (Absent the limit, they would have owed 25 percent of $1.095 million, or $273,750.) If another player is suspended, the Cowboys will be required to cough up a full third of the lost wages for each suspended player.

The Steelers could be facing a similar problem, with the full-season suspension of Martavis Bryant and the looming suspension of running back Le’Veon Bell. The policy requires the forfeiture of 15 percent of the lost salary when two players are suspended. With Bryant due to make $600,000 this year (he’ll lose all of it) and Bell slated to earn $966,900 (he’ll lose $235,294 if the suspension is upheld), 15 percent of the lost salary equates to $125,294.

“It’s obviously so important to us in drafting guys with the right character but sometimes things happen that are unforeseen,” Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said earlier this year. “Right now, I totally get that it may not look like it in terms of the mishaps we’ve had here, but it’s certainly very important to us and something we’ll continue to evaluate and try to be better.”

Ultimately, giving up a chunk of the salary that otherwise won’t be paid won’t deter teams from taking risks on players who may be predisposed to engaging in behavior that could get them suspended or provide an even stronger incentive to keep troubled players out of trouble. To get the attention of teams, they must face the potential loss of draft picks.

Previously, the possibility has been considered in connection with multiple violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. That idea never went anywhere. If the league truly wants to reduce suspensions under all policies, that’s the best (and perhaps only) way to do it.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/multiple-suspensions-expose-cowboys-steelers-to-major-fines/[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Multiple suspensions expose Cowboys, Steelers to major fines
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2016, 9:58 AM EDT

Previously, the possibility has been considered in connection with multiple violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. That idea never went anywhere. If the league truly wants to reduce suspensions under all policies, that’s the best (and perhaps only) way to do it.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/multiple-suspensions-expose-cowboys-steelers-to-major-fines/[/URL]
    Incredible the way people (Florio) think. Taking away draft picks from teams is NOT the best, and certainly not the only way to reduce suspensions in the NFL. By far the best way to reduce suspensions of at least the type Bell/Martaviousness have inflicted on their teams is to stop testing for marijuana use. The NFL would be 50% of the way to a suspension-free NFL!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Incredible the way people (Florio) think. Taking away draft picks from teams is NOT the best, and certainly not the only way to reduce suspensions in the NFL. By far the best way to reduce suspensions of at least the type Bell/Martaviousness have inflicted on their teams is to stop testing for marijuana use. The NFL would be 50% of the way to a suspension-free NFL!