Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell releases rap song which states "I'ma need 15 a year and they know this."

Legend

User Info Menu

Le'Veon Bell releases rap song which states "I'ma need 15 a year and they know this."

By Mike Florio
    July 4, 2016, 11:05 AM EDT
    Le’Veon Bell unveils contract demands in unique way

Le’Veon Bell’s knee must be fine.

That’s the only explanation for Bell’s decision to address his contractual expectations, which he previously said he wouldn’t address until “my knee’s good.”

But Bell didn’t make his requirements known in an interview or a blog post or negotiations with the team or a leak to the media or any of the other traditional avenues for making his demands known. Instead, Bell slipped his minimum into the lyrics of a rap song.

Bell debuted on Twitter a tune called Focus. The folks at FOXSports.com heard this telling line in it: “I’m at the top and if not I’m the closest, I’ma need 15 a year and they know this.”

He may need “15 a year,” but it won’t be easy for Bell to get it. He’s currently eligible for a new contract, and his rookie deal expires after the coming season. Absent a long-term deal, he’ll hit the open market or receive the franchise tag in Pittsburgh before March 2017.

For running backs, the tag carried a value of $11.789 million in 2016. Bell could perhaps parlay that into a long-term deal with enough back-end fluff to push the overall value to $15 million per year, but the front end wouldn’t reach that level.

Whatever level Bell reaches, he’ll need to be healthy and perform like he did in 2014 (when he rushed for 1,361 yards and added 854 receiving) in order to get the most money from the Steelers or someone else.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

He needs to play a full season and he's knows it

Rookie

User Info Menu

Hey, all the more reason to win a SB this year before the band breaks up...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/04/leveon-bell-unveils-contract-demands-in-unique-way/[/URL]

Posted by Mike Florio on July 4, 2016, 11:05 AM EDT
    PITTSBURGH, PA

Le’Veon Bell’s knee must be fine.

That’s the only explanation for Bell’s decision to address his contractual expectations, which he previously said he wouldn’t address until “my knee’s good.”

But Bell didn’t make his requirements known in an interview or a blog post or negotiations with the team or a leak to the media or any of the other traditional avenues for making his demands known. Instead, Bell slipped his minimum into the lyrics of a rap song.

Bell debuted on Twitter a tune called Focus. The folks at FOXSports.com heard this telling line in it: “I’m at the top and if not I’m the closest, I’ma need 15 a year and they know this.”

He may need “15 a year,” but it won’t be easy for Bell to get it. He’s currently eligible for a new contract, and his rookie deal expires after the coming season. Absent a long-term deal, he’ll hit the open market or receive the franchise tag in Pittsburgh before March 2017.

For running backs, the tag carried a value of $11.789 million in 2016. Bell could perhaps parlay that into a long-term deal with enough back-end fluff to push the overall value to $15 million per year, but the front end wouldn’t reach that level.

Whatever level Bell reaches, he’ll need to be healthy and perform like he did in 2014 (when he rushed for 1,361 yards and added 854 receiving) in order to get the most money from the Steelers or someone else.
    Thoughts?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

OOOPS, sorry didn't see the thread already started. My bad...
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

As correctly stated, if Bell can't prove he cam make it through a season without an injury then a long term contract is moot let alone top dollar. The recent market experience for RBs isn't favorable for bell having much leverage. RB may be the easiest position in the NFL to replace with a draftee.

Legend

User Info Menu

He can say whatever he wants. That number isn't going to happen. He can play this year for the end of his rookie deal, next year on a tag, and the year after that on a tag. He wouldn't get his $15 million until his age 27 season - assuming that he doesn't suffer another injury between now and then.

$15 million per year is $1 million more than what Adrian Peterson is making. But he has very little guaranteed money - only $13 million in a $42 million deal. The next highest average is McCoy, at $8 million per year. Of that, $18 million is guaranteed.

My guess would be that Bell gets $10-12 million / year, with a higher percentage of guaranteed money than Pederson. If he holds out or plays on franchise tags, he takes a lot of risk at a position that historically doesn't get paid well in FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

did Tomlin run his wheels off already?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sorry Mr. Bell.......as much as I love your overall talent and versatility there is no way you're getting 15 million a year when you can't finish out an entire season.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Sorry Mr. Bell.......as much as I love your overall talent and versatility there is no way you're getting 15 million a year when you can't finish out an entire season.
    Pretty much an accurate statement...NO RB is worth that kind of $$$$ any more.