Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suisham Officially Released

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    lets see what tomlin does with that situation this year
    Tomlin doesn't have time to evaluate kickers. He's too busy deciding whether or not he should fire...err, retire...his coordinators.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/24/shaun-suisham-calls-hall-of-fame-game-injury-catastrophic/[/URL]

Shaun Suisham calls Hall of Fame Game injury “catastrophic”

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 24, 2016, 12:20 PM EDT

When Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham suffered a knee injury in last year’s Hall of Fame Game, attention immediately turned to the turf at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio. Now that Suisham has been released by the Steelers, more questions should be raised about that turf.

Suisham released a statement after the Steelers cut him suggesting that the injury will prove to be career-ending.

“Unfortunately, the injury I sustained in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game last preseason was catastrophic and has proven to be critical to continuing to my career. My journey in the NFL has come to a crossroads,” Suisham wrote. “I will mis the challenge of game day and the preparation that is required. Change is hard, but I’m comfortable with where I am in life as a husband and father.”

Although Suisham did not actually say he’s retiring, the statement came across as a retirement announcement. Suisham did not say whether he plans to take legal action against the Steelers, the NFL or the Hall of Fame in order to recoup the millions of dollars of lost future income that a forced retirement will cost him.

Whether Suisham sues or not, it’s incumbent on the NFL to ensure that every stadium where football is played — the 31 home stadiums as well as stadiums that host preseason games, International Series games and the Pro Bowl — is safe. If the Hall of Fame Stadium can’t install turf that’s up to the standards that NFL players demand, then the Hall of Fame Stadium shouldn’t host NFL games.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

That should free up a couple million in cap space

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

Just enough to sign Arian Foster to a 1 year "prove it" deal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Just enough to sign Arian Foster to a 1 year "prove it" deal.
    Sometimes I don't get internet humor. Is this a joke?
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Sometimes I don't get internet humor. Is this a joke?

Wasn't intended to be one, so no, it's not a joke.

But people find humor in the darndest of places.

To explain where I was coming from-

I still get a sick feeling when I think about what might have been if we had been a bit deeper at the RB position the past couple of years.

Not many teams I would like to align myself with if I were Foster and I was seeking a championship. It's quite obvious the guy isn't in a position to demand any sort of large payday. And the Steelers' fortune with RBs in December and beyond has not been good the past couple of seasons. I admit Foster would have zero ST value, which may be a reason the team would not consider him. But if that was overlooked, it would be the best three headed monster in the league in the backfield.

And given the somewhat unknowns of Bells recovery and the nature of asking Williams to deliver a performance like he did last year, again, having Foster would be nice. The team would most likely not even need him until the playoffs anyway. To have a guy of his caliber there at the ready, chomping at the bit to prove to the league that he still has it, would be a special thing to have up the sleeve.

Just my .02

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Wasn't intended to be one, so no, it's not a joke.

But people find humor in the darndest of places.

To explain where I was coming from-

I still get a sick feeling when I think about what might have been if we had been a bit deeper at the RB position the past couple of years.

Not many teams I would like to align myself with if I were Foster and I was seeking a championship. It's quite obvious the guy isn't in a position to demand any sort of large payday. And the Steelers' fortune with RBs in December and beyond has not been good the past couple of seasons. I admit Foster would have zero ST value, which may be a reason the team would not consider him. But if that was overlooked, it would be the best three headed monster in the league in the backfield.

And given the somewhat unknowns of Bells recovery and the nature of asking Williams to deliver a performance like he did last year, again, having Foster would be nice. The team would most likely not even need him until the playoffs anyway. To have a guy of his caliber there at the ready, chomping at the bit to prove to the league that he still has it, would be a special thing to have up the sleeve.

Just my .02
    Ha, well I certainly could imagine it if we already didn't have a veteran, former star in the fold in Williams. All you need behind that, is a young, hungry, up-and-comer type (a guy like Touissant, Todman, Redman). I think the kid we just picked up from Penn State may have that potential.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Arian Foster is done. He has been so battered he likely has nothing left in the tank and likely couldn't make it through a season. makes no sense to sign someone as "injury insurance" when the insurance is likely to be injured.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, I guess from what I read yesterday, Suisham has actually retired. Boswell's salary counts agains the 2+ million that is saved by Suisham's departure, so I think the cap space is estimated at about 1.7 mil or so....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Now let's just hope that Boswell doesn't get "Jeff Reed Disease" aka "Moron-itis" and get stupid when want to give him a long term contract. Boswell has the chance to be a long term solution at kicker.