Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder surgery, contact lenses could unlock 'Big' Dan McCullers mystery for Steeler

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    I am an optometrist. The fact that players have blurred vision and no evaluations is completely absurd to me. Especially at that level. I seriously thought Ike Taylor had vision trouble as well or binocular vision/stereopsis issues with all of his drops. It's unacceptable that multi-millions are spent and many times the eye is neglected.
    AND...aren't most issues correctable with laser surgery these days? I wonder why someone like McCullers would choose contacts over laser? Seems like contacts would be a pain for a football player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not all are candidates. Usually the more nearsighted are, and it's not likely McCullers is very nearsighted since he has been functional. Optically an athlete sees better in contact lenses than they do post lasik. In fact, because MLB players require the best vision possible, Lasik is discouraged if they want the best vision, and that is attainable in a contact lens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    I am an optometrist. The fact that players have blurred vision and no evaluations is completely absurd to me. Especially at that level. I seriously thought Ike Taylor had vision trouble as well or binocular vision/stereopsis issues with all of his drops. It's unacceptable that multi-millions are spent and many times the eye is neglected.
    I always wonder about that as well. You hear about it in baseball, football, etc. I can't believe that they don't have an eye exam as part of an annual physical. Given the money spent on everything else, it seems so basic.