Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Butler difference

Legend

User Info Menu

The Butler difference

From Trib. Butler lets players play. He gets it

Two years ago, Artie Burns and Sean Davis had virtually no shot at starting.

Even playing would've been a challenge, even for the top two rookies in the Steelers' draft class.
    Now, they at least have a chance.

The Steelers on Tuesday open their four-week voluntary but highly attended on-field organized team activities at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, with a handful of holes in the secondary that could be filled by the Steelers' top two rookies.

When Keith Butler took over for veteran Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator last year, one of the most notable changes was Butler not bogging down the unit with the complexity of the defense.

Instead, he simplified it and let players play. The volume of the playbook was scaled back dramatically to reduce mental errors, which allowed young players to get on the field sooner than in the past.

It had positive results.

Sacks went from 33 to 48; turnovers went from 21 to 30; and points allowed dropped almost four per game as the Steelers advanced to within three minutes of the AFC championship game despite an injury-riddled roster,.Players such as rookie linebacker Bud Dupree and inexperienced cornerback Ross Cockrell saw plenty of playing time.

Veteran outside linebacker Arthur Moats said Butler's approach was crucial to their success in 2015 and key to their plans in 2016.
    “Coach LeBeau is going to challenge you more mentally in the sense of going into some games to have 30-40 calls, and you have to be able to execute them at a high level,” Moats told the Tribune-Review. “A lot of the younger guys couldn't get on the field right away because the mental complexity of it would be overwhelming for them.

“Coach Butler is more about simplifying things and let your ability take over. The younger guys can play faster because they don't have to think as much.”

Dupree took over a starting outside linebacker spot midway through the season after playing half the snaps leading up to that. Cockrell, who was picked up by the Steelers shortly before the season after Buffalo released him, played nearly 700 snaps.
    According to Moats, that should give rookie draft picks Burns, Davis, Javon Hargrave, Tyler Feeney and Tyler Matakevich an opportunity. Also, 2015 second-round pick Senquez Golson, who was lost for the season during the spring with a shoulder injury, should be in better position to play right away under Butler.

“If those guys are ready to play, they are going to get that opportunity,” Moats said. “But I don't feel like any of them have got to be forced into action. Their talent is going to speak for themselves. You see what they did at the collegiate level. They can help us out right away, whether it is special teams first then get into the defense. You don't draft guys in the first round to have them sit.”
    However, the Steelers are pretty set on defense in Butler's second year. For a third straight year, they used their first two picks in the draft on defensive players (Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt in 2014; Dupree and Golson in 2015; and Burns and Davis.)

Only Steve McLendon doesn't return from the starting front seven from last year's team, which was third in the league in sacks and turnovers. The rotation of linebackers —Moats, Dupree, James Harrison and Jarvis Jones — will continue, and as giving Moats has confidence that the Steelers are close to being a dominant defense once again.

“I feel as the season ended last year that we were getting better and better,” Moats said. “From a confidence standpoint, we were just a more confident group.”

Moats started 10 of 16 games last year and finished with four sacks despite splitting time with Dupree. Moats, who injured his pectoral muscle in the playoff loss to the Broncos, feels the Steelers are a better team than Denver. The Broncos won Super Bowl 50.
    “We just didn't have a couple of plays here and there that didn't bounce our way,” Moats said.

“To see Denver to go out there and win it all, we know that we are the better team and what we are capable of. It fuels us that much more for this season.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

"Coach Butler is more about simplifying things and let your ability take over. The younger guys can play faster because they don't have to think as much.”

I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Then why did we have so many communication issues with the secondary last year?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll preemptively agree with Lemming's post in which he, once again, debunks the myth that young players are contributing earlier under Butler.

In another article on the site that shall not be named, there are comments from Golden that Butler is more aggressive. The stats show that he did blitz more, and although the Steelers obviously had problems, it was effective to some extent.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 05-25-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    "Coach Butler is more about simplifying things and let your ability take over. The younger guys can play faster because they don't have to think as much.”

Sounds like a lot of the posters here (they don't think much.) oh wait??????

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

In 2013 Lebea.....oh wait.....Philly just said....Nevermind.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Then why did we have so many communication issues with the secondary last year?
    The issues were early in the year. Around mid season they became not so normal.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    The issues were early in the year. Around mid season they became not so normal.
    IIRC, they were still having plenty of these problems by mid season, although were showing some improvement by then.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

football is not a simple game. I get the strategy of simplifying it when necessary to get young guys on the field - but all things being equal, i'd rather have a complex defense that confuses opponents and is well understood by the 11 guys executing it to the point where it's second nature and they can let their natural abilities augment the scheme.

i know, that's called having your cake and eating it too....

but hey, i'm selfish that way.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!