Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'd put in a waiver claim for this guy, to give us a couple of long Berger names @ QB

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd put in a waiver claim for this guy, to give us a couple of long Berger names @ QB

Titans waive Zach Mettenberger
    Posted by Josh Alper on May 16, 2016, 9:45 AM EDT

The Titans are moving on without quarterback Zach Mettenberger.

The team announced Monday that they have waived the 2014 sixth-round pick. They signed Matt Cassel to play behind Marcus Mariota earlier this offseason and also have Alex Tanney on their 90-man roster.

Mettenberger made six starts during his rookie season and generated some talk about a future as a starter in Tennessee or elsewhere while posting an 83.4 quarterback rating and averaging nearly eight yards per pass attempt on a bad Titans team. The Titans didn’t trade him after drafting Mariota, however, and it appears Mettenberger didn’t do much to help his value by struggling in four starts while Mariota was injured last year.

He’s still a young quarterback who has had flashes of promise, though, and it would be surprising if he makes it through the waiver wire unclaimed. If he is, we’ll find out on Tuesday where he’ll be continuing his NFL career.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/titans-waive-zach-mettenberger/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Zach Mettenberger Released - Any Interest?

I remember hearing that the Steelers liked him coming out. Gradkowski is a bit of a question mark because of his health, and Jones is a question mark because of his ability.

The Titans had Cassel as their backup and wanted to give Mettenberger a chance to move on. If he doesn't find a team with a chance to start (like the Jets), I'd like to bring him in to compete to be the backup to Ben.

Thoughts?

Starter

User Info Menu

I would,but I doubt the Steelers will.

Legend

User Info Menu

No thanks, we have LANDRY!!!
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing when I read Mettenberger was placed on waivers. Why not? He's still young enough and could beat out Jones and eventually take over for Roethlisberger in a few years (since Gradkowski is nearly as old as Roethlisberger).
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Mettenberger and find this move curious. He played reasonably well for a young guy in a bad situation. I would sign him in a heart beat.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

It probably has something to do with having a 0-10 record as a starter. But the supporting cast in Tennessee has been so bad the last few years that other starting QB's there haven't fared much better (or else the Titans wouldn't have earned the 2nd and 1st overall draft picks in consecutive seasons).

I think we should put in a claim, but I doubt we get him, because there are plenty of other teams ahead of us in the waiver order who could use a cheap, young 6'5" backup QB with good NFL arm strength.

Right now, unless Grad's injury situation rears its ugly head again, we are almost certain to enter the season with Ben, Grad, and Landry...Dustin Vaughn is nothing more than a camp arm. Sure, Grad and Landry will battle each other to determine which one is the gameday backup and which is the inactive 3rd stringer, but I'd much rather have Grad, Landry, and Mettenberger in a 3 way battle for 2 spots on the 53 man roster and the loser unemployed....THAT'S competition.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ouch:

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/204059/historically-zach-mettenberger-has-no-chance[/url]
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It probably has something to do with having a 0-10 record as a starter. But the supporting cast in Tennessee has been so bad the last few years that other starting QB's there haven't fared much better (or else the Titans wouldn't have earned the 2nd and 1st overall draft picks in consecutive seasons).

I think we should put in a claim, but I doubt we get him, because there are plenty of other teams ahead of us in the waiver order who could use a cheap, young 6'5" backup QB with good NFL arm strength.

Right now, unless Grad's injury situation rears its ugly head again, we are almost certain to enter the season with Ben, Grad, and Landry...Dustin Vaughn is nothing more than a camp arm. Sure, Grad and Landry will battle each other to determine which one is the gameday backup and which is the inactive 3rd stringer, but I'd much rather have Grad, Landry, and Mettenberger in a 3 way battle for 2 spots on the 53 man roster and the loser unemployed....THAT'S competition.
    big kid with a big arm...throwing to no bodies and behind a OL made of Swiss cheese. If he makes it to the Steelers I believe he is a better option than Jones.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone remember this?

[url]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/17/7238711/nate-washington-puts-titans-ahead-of-steelers-on-huge-bomb-from-zach[/url]