Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three rookies could start on defense this season for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Three rookies could start on defense this season for Steelers

Never in modern history have the Steelers poured so much of their draft talent into the defense the way they have the past two years. All that’s left is for them to show it was worth it.

“You never know. If these guys help us win a championship, then it worked out,” general manager Kevin Colbert said. “This is the only way we evaluate any class.”

For the second consecutive year, the Steelers poured an unprecedented percentage of their draft picks on their defense —– five to two on offense. It comes one year after six of their eight draft choices were defensive players.

That 11-4 draft ratio in favor of their defense is unprecedented over two years and includes three defensive players in the first three rounds for the first time in modern history.

But their offense has been carrying them the past few years, and they know it as they watched their great defenses from the first part of the 21st century fade into retirements. Joey Porter played on some of those teams as a Pro Bowl outside linebacker, and now he coaches that position and knows what must be done.

“It’s been awhile since the offense carried us,” Porter said. “This is Pittsburgh, but they did last year. They were a strong part of our team. That’s always a good thing, but in Steeler Nation we still have pride in our defense. We always want to have pride in our defense.”

That defense has been in transition for a few years and generally performed better last season than was expected. They were third in the league with 48 sacks and raised their turnovers to 24. Yet they also ranked just 21st in yards allowed, 30th against the pass. The construction job is not done.

“We were happy where we finished last year, but it wasn’t enough,” Porter said. “If we get our defense back to where it used to be, I think we’ll have the pieces to do something special.”

Indeed, combined with an offense that ranked first in average yards per play in the NFL and fourth in points, the Steelers could be dynamic if their defense can catch up a little more. If it does, some of those rookies they drafted over the past three days could have an impact on it.

On a defense that had little room for rookies for many years, it is possible that their first three draft picks could start this season.

There are openings for cornerback Artie Burns, safety Sean Davis and nose tackle Javon Hargrave all to start even as soon as the opening game in Washington.

“I believe it’s realistic,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “That’s why we chose them where we chose them. But they have to earn it, and we’ll give them the opportunity to do that.”

The Steelers started four rookies over the past three seasons with various results — linebackers Jarvis Jones (2013), Ryan Shazier (2014) and Bud Dupree (2015), and end Stephon Tuitt (2014).

There have not been three rookie starters on defense in quite some time, but the openings and the need for upgrades are there.

That also does not count cornerback Senquez Golson, their second-round pick last year who missed his entire rookie season after shoulder surgery. He could compete with Burns to start on the left with both of them playing when they use the nickel, which was 70 percent of the time last season.

Their depth chart right now shows as starters Ross Cockrell at left cornerback, Robert Golden at strong safety and Daniel McCullers at nose tackle.

“Competition is always going to be the key that drives them,” Porter said, from experience. “We’re going to have some guys in positions at home looking at the draft now. It’s going to make it competitive

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/05/01/On-the-Steelers-Three-rookies-could-start-on-defense-this-season/stories/201605010196[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

That defense has been in transition for a few years and generally performed better last season than was expected. They were third in the league with 48 sacks and raised their turnovers to 24. Yet they also ranked just 21st in yards allowed, 30th against the pass. The construction job is not done.
    I think that's partly a function of the type of player they're selection. I said this a couple of times, but, their current MO is selecting "athletes with upside" instead of "football players". In other words, they'd pass on Hines and select Mike Wallace.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Three rookies potentially starting on defense. What a refreshing change. Wouldn't have happened before Butler. Get best talent on the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers prepared to start three rookies on defense
    Posted by Darin Gantt on May 2, 2016, 9:41 AM EDT

The Steelers have poured more resources than ever into defense the last two years, and it’s time for all those choices to get to work.

Five of their seven picks came on that side of the ball, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that starting jobs are there for cornerback Artie Burns, safety Sean Davis and nose tackle Javon Hargrave, their first three picks in the draft.

“I believe it’s realistic,” Tomlin said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “That’s why we chose them where we chose them. But they have to earn it, and we’ll give them the opportunity to do that.”

Coupled with last year’s draft, the Steelers have used 11 of their last 15 choices to try to fix their defense, and they know they need to catch up soon, if only to restore the franchise to its natural personality.

“It’s been awhile since the offense carried us,” outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said. “This is Pittsburgh, but they did last year. They were a strong part of our team. That’s always a good thing, but in Steeler Nation we still have pride in our defense. We always want to have pride in our defense.”

All the attention on defense began to pay dividends last year, as they rose to third in the league with 48 sacks, and started creating turnovers again. But they were 30th in the league against the pass, which is why using their top two picks on the secondary was justified.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/02/steelers-prepared-to-start-three-rookies-on-defense/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Three rookies potentially starting on defense. What a refreshing change. Wouldn't have happened before Butler. Get best talent on the field.
    With that, I agree... though, my money is one 1 for opening day (Hargrave), two by week 5 when Davis moves in alongside Mike Mitchell for a vicious safety tandem... All season long, Artie, Senquez and Cockrell play musical chairs.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Not to be the pessimist of the board, but I doubt we have 3 rookies starting this season. In fact, I'd be shocked if we did.

All of these guys we selected need development. They're all a work in progress. The most ready physically is probably Hargrave, but he hasn't had to go against top competition at the college level week in and week out, let alone being ready for NFL level competition.

Maybe Davis can make the transition the fastest because he's such a smart kid with versatility in his game.

Burns seems like he might need at least a year imho because he's a press corner that may struggle pressing NFL sized WRs at the LOS and he doesn't seem to play well off the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Not to be the pessimist of the board, but I doubt we have 3 rookies starting this season. In fact, I'd be shocked if we did.

All of these guys we selected need development. They're all a work in progress. The most ready physically is probably Hargrave, but he hasn't had to go against top competition at the college level week in and week out, let alone being ready for NFL level competition.

Maybe Davis can make the transition the fastest because he's such a smart kid with versatility in his game.

Burns seems like he might need at least a year imho because he's a press corner that may struggle pressing NFL sized WRs at the LOS and he doesn't seem to play well off the ball.
    I could see it happening at some point in the season although I don't think it's that big of a deal to "start" vs playing in sub packages.

I think all 3 will see playing time and contribute.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I can see all 3 guys starting or contributing by the end of the season, but I'd be shocked if they were starting day 1. My guess is that none are day 1 "starters." I bet the secondary opens with Gay/Cockrell and Mitchell/Golden with Golson as the nickel DB. But I bet Hargrave gets rotated in, Davis is the #3 safety and Burns gets some time in a rotation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I think that's partly a function of the type of player they're selection. I said this a couple of times, but, their current MO is selecting "athletes with upside" instead of "football players". In other words, they'd pass on Hines and select Mike Wallace.

I think it is more "athletes with the upside to succeed in the NFL" instead of "football players" who have hit their ceiling in college
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

pleeeaaase, this all all lip service.
    last year a proven veteran db was brought in thru a trade(boykins) but supposedly didnt play because he couldnt grasp the butler system.
    now 3 rookies with zero nfl experience and all defined as 'raw' are suppose to come in and start?
    this is nothing more than tomlin putting extra pressure on his current dbs and nt to work harder so a rookie doesnt beat them out while giving the rookies the thought that they can start if they work hard and hit the playbook
    Last edited by squidkid; 05-02-2016 at 03:29 PM.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown