Thread: Bruce Gradkowski returns to Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Bruce Gradkowski returns to Steelers

By Mike Florio
    May 1, 2016, 9:12 PM EDT
    Bruce Gradkowski returns to Steelers

At a time when some quarterbacks are grandstanding because they haven’t been handed a starting job with an open-ended guarantee that they’ll keep it, another guy keeps plugging away, embracing on a year-to-year basis the chance to compete for a job.

PFT has confirmed that veteran quarterback Bruce Gradkowski will sign a one-year contract on Monday with the Steelers.

The 33-year-old Pittsburgh native entered the league in 2006 as a sixth-round draft choice of the Buccaneers. He has played for the Bucs (starting 11 games as a rookie), the Browns, the Raiders, the Bengals ant the Steelers.

A finger injury suffered last August landed Gradkowski on injured reserve, opening the door for the signing of Mike Vick. Gradkowski will compete with fourth-year veteran Landry Jones for the No. 2 spot behind Ben Roethlisberger.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Very solid. If healthy, I'd be fine going into the season with Gradkowski and Jones behind Ben. I would have preferred Hoyer, but he signed with the Bears.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Very solid. If healthy, I'd be fine going into the season with Gradkowski and Jones behind Ben. I would have preferred Hoyer, but he signed with the Bears.
    Hoyer already passed through here once very briefly. I like Gradkowski when he's healthy. He's also willing to stay in Pittsburgh for a reduced rate than he might get elsewhere because he's a local guy (a la Charlie Batch). I like that he stayed involved all last year talking to Ben on the sidelines as if he were another coach out there.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anything that increases the chances that Landry Jones never touches the ball is a PLUS (+) for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hoyer already passed through here once very briefly. I like Gradkowski when he's healthy. He's also willing to stay in Pittsburgh for a reduced rate than he might get elsewhere because he's a local guy (a la Charlie Batch). I like that he stayed involved all last year talking to Ben on the sidelines as if he were another coach out there.
    I remember hearing often after his brief stop here that the Steelers regretted letting him go. I'm sure part of it is money. If Gradkowski is healthy, I'm fine with him as well - I just wonder about the health after last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

not exactly a ringing endorsement for landry

while you cant really call that pick a failure, it certainly hasn't worked out as some wanted you to believe and remains one of the more boneheaded picks of the last few drafts, imo

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Gradkowski-Batch comparison is a good one. Although Grad gets injured a lot I would still be ok with him finishing out his career with the Steelers just like Batch.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just realized that this will be Gradkowski's 4th season with the Steelers, and he still has not thrown a pass while wearing black and gold during a game that actually counts in the standings. His first year in Pittsburgh was 2013, and he never got into a regular season game. His second year in Pittsburgh was 2014, and he has taken a knee twice. Then he spend the 2015 season with us on I.R. That's it. He's thrown for over 4000 yards with other teams, but only those -2 rushing yards for us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    not exactly a ringing endorsement for landry

while you cant really call that pick a failure, it certainly hasn't worked out as some wanted you to believe and remains one of the more boneheaded picks of the last few drafts, imo
    not boneheaded at all IMO. We have seen the good bad and ugly but also have seen him come thru in 1 or 2 games in relief.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"