Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.2 Tyler Matakevich

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Goodbye to the Zumwalt?
    We hardly knew him!
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I watched most of Temple's games and really liked this guy. He was the heart and soul of a tough defense. He's not an athletic freak like most of the guys drafted but he is a football player. He may not be the biggest hitter, but he is a solid tackler. As I said in the other thread, it wouldn't shock me if he was the special teams captain in a few years.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 05-01-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If we can get another Clint Kriewaldt with that pick, it is successful...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Spence is where the bar is set I would say for this former Owl. Spence was a solid little player both on special teams and as a back up. If he can contribute on special teams and be the 4th inside backer we did well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't make the same mistake twice
    Posted 4 hours ago

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

LB Tyler Matakevich prides himself on learning from mistakes.

It wasn’t that long ago that seventh-round draft pick Tyler Matakevich, the linebacker from Temple, was taking part in the team’s rookie minicamp. And like most of his fellow rookies, when he first hit the field, it was a bit overwhelming.

“I had no idea what was going on,” admitted Matakevich. “I was just running around.”

Fast forward to a month later, as the second week of OTAs are in full swing, and it’s a completely different feeling for Matakevich. His comfort level has soared, and while he isn’t where he wants to be yet, he is light years away from his first days on the field.

“I am starting to pick it up,” said Matakevich. “The coaches are helping me out. The vets are helping me out when I am out there, letting me know when I am wrong. That is the biggest thing right now, just making sure I am doing the right things and playing fast.”

Matakevich knows the best way for him to learn is from his own mistakes. He is going to make them. Every rookie does; veterans as well. But the most important thing is to not make the same mistake twice.

“I am still making some mistakes, but that is part of learning,” said Matakevich. “You just have to get out there, get in the meeting room, get them corrected and come back out here and don’t make the same mistakes.

“With me I am one of those guys that if I make a mistake, I know it and I won’t do it wrong again. There are a lot of things I have to learn. I am trying to get in here, do everything right and try to play fast.”

Helping to keep the mistakes at a minimum are Matakevich’s teammates, who understand what it was like to be a rookie and are all willing to help out.

“All of them are helping me out,” said Matakevich. “When I am out there, I am out there with Steven (Johnson) and we piggy back off each other. Then having Lawrence Timmons around, you see how good he is and why he is a pro. I am trying to follow those guys to be like them.

“I am trying to soak everything in I can and be the best I can be.”

He is also getting a quick lesson in what it means to be a Steelers player on and off the field. The rookies have already been out in the community multiple times, including a visit to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and the Mel Blount Youth Home.

“You have to take a lot of pride into getting out into the community and showing them who you are,” said Matakevich. “I did that at Temple and I feel like Coach (Mike) Tomlin and the Steelers organization is the same way. It’s something I enjoy and look forward to doing.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dont-make-the-same-mistake-twice/0d0d587d-73e7-4cc3-b6df-359c991892ec[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Goodbye to the Zumwalt?
    There is a reason the team has let him stick around though... (i.e. there must be something they like about him)

If both somehow make it, even better. Since I'd like to see Zumwalt "make it" (i.e. make the active roster and play), my ideal scenario would be for him to make the team this year and save Matakevich, let him sit on the PS one year.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Spence is where the bar is set I would say for this former Owl. Spence was a solid little player both on special teams and as a back up. If he can contribute on special teams and be the 4th inside backer we did well.
    Don't you know the rules of player comparisons?
    You cant compare him to a Black player!!!
    Stick with Zumwalt!
    Feeney is the guy you MUST compare Spence to.

Amazingly no Jerry O reference yet for Matakevich? I'm disappointed people.

(OK yes I too would compare him to Zumwalt.....I feel kinda guilty)

Actually that kind of productivity he might be much better than Z.
    He is kinda lightweight and not a burner, EXTREMELY productive, we could we have stumbled on another Lambe.....wait Ive gotta stop!!!!!

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Don't you know the rules of player comparisons?
    You cant compare him to a Black player!!!
    Stick with Zumwalt!
    Feeney is the guy you MUST compare Spence to.

Amazingly no Jerry O reference yet for Matakevich? I'm disappointed people

(OK yes I too would compare him to Zumwalt.....I feel kinda guilty)

Actually that kind of productivity he might be much better than Z.
    He is kinda lightweight and not a burner, EXTREMELY productive, we could we have stumbled on another Lambe.....wait Ive gotta stop!!!!!
    Dude are you smoking crack? What's the first post on this thread?
    Last edited by Jooser; 06-02-2016 at 12:32 PM.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't understand the connection people seem to have with Jordan Zumwalt.

The 4 starting linebackers are Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Shazier, Jarvis Jones, and Bud Dupree.
    The 4 veteran backup options are James Harrison, Arthur Moats, Vince Williams, and Steven Johnson.
    The 4 young linebackers with potential are Anthony Chickillo, Travis Feeney, Tyler Matakevich, and L.J. Fort.
    Then at the bottom of roster behind those dozen guys that we won't be able to keep are Jordan Zumwalt and Tyriq McCord. He's just a camp body at this point, but I'm sure there are several fans out there who are nonetheless convinced that roster fodder Jordan Zumwalt is a better football player than starting LB Jarvis Jones.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't understand the connection people seem to have with Jordan Zumwalt.

The 4 starting linebackers are Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Shazier, Jarvis Jones, and Bud Dupree.
    The 4 veteran backup options are James Harrison, Arthur Moats, Vince Williams, and Steven Johnson.
    The 4 young linebackers with potential are Anthony Chickillo, Travis Feeney, Tyler Matakevich, and L.J. Fort.
    Then at the bottom of roster behind those dozen guys that we won't be able to keep are Jordan Zumwalt and Tyriq McCord. He's just a camp body at this point, but I'm sure there are several fans out there who are nonetheless convinced that roster fodder Jordan Zumwalt is a better football player than starting LB Jarvis Jones.

Zumwalt has the same characteristics as Paul Posluzny and Sean Lee. Tough nosed white guys who remind people of Ham, Lambert and Russell. Heck, for years we had guys on this board acting like Posluzny was the second coming of Lambert when in reality he was just another Larry Foote.

Now as far as Zumwalt being better than Jones...who knows if he can actually get on the field