Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rd 4: Jerald Hawkins

Legend

User Info Menu

Rd 4: Jerald Hawkins

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jerald-hawkins?id=2555420[/URL]

OVERVIEW
    Winning a job on LSU's offensive line is no easy task, as head coach Les Miles continually brings in large talents up front. But Hawkins managed to win the starting job at right tackle as a redshirt freshman, even playing on the blind side for an injured La'el Collins in one contest. The Louisiana native started every game at right tackle in 2014, as well, before moving to Collins' left tackle spot this fall. He missed the contest against Ole Miss with an ankle injury, but started the other 12 games in his final season in Death Valley. Despite his pleas to Collins to stay for his senior season last year, Hawkins decided to forego his fourth year on campus to head to the NFL; he's the only Tiger to do so this year.

PRO DAY RESULTS
    3-cone drill: 8.04 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
    Long*-limbed tackle with experience on both sides. Slides feet and hips into play-*side positioning after making squared contact on reach blocks and the backside. Flashes power in his paws snatching a portion of defender's frame and maintaining his grip. Plays with good weight distribution and balanced pass sets. Has foot quickness and change of direction for redirect move back inside without much hesitation and brace up his edge. Speedy snap off and search mechanism against twists. Generally well-timed climbs on combo blocks. Uses upward blow with decent hip snap into initial contact in run game. Held his own in snaps against A'Shawn Robinson from Alabama.

WEAKNESSES
    Possesses unusually linear build with thin waist for an offensive lineman. Power in base blocks hindered by his narrow drive base. Doesn’t always bring his feet through contact. Overall power and play strength need to improve. Wins early portion of the rep but often gives way to opponents' strength over second half of the snap. Not a natural knee*-bender and misses more than he hits on second level. Doesn't gain enough lateral ground to consistently get to cross*-face blocks and backside cut*off on linebackers. Hands too wide in pass pro set*up leading to slower, wider punch at times. Willing to waist-*bend when pass rusher gets to the edge.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4

SOURCES TELL US
    "You have to watch him in a few games because he's not asked to do as much in some games as others. In one game you think he looks really strong and then in another game he's kind of all over the place. Some of that is his feet. If he improves his feet he should improve his play strength." -- NFL offensive line coach

NFL COMPARISON Bobby Massie

BOTTOM LINE
    Hawkins is a tough evaluation because the length and footwork in pass protection are promising, but issues with bend and body control may be difficult to correct. Hawkins has talent, but his ceiling might be tied directly to whether a team allows him to sit while an offensive line coach works to correct the technical flaws that limit his effectiveness. Hawkins best spot may be right tackle.
    Thoughts?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Starter

User Info Menu

Real nice value pick at a position that the steelers could use some quality depth. While villanueva and gilbert are the starters, he will push them. And maybe even take someones job if the other two are not careful.

Love the selection.

Say your goodbyes to mike adams.

Backup

User Info Menu

I heard he stinks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    I heard he stinks
    Mike Munchak will have something to say about that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

seems solid to me. good length and feet

let munchak work him and develop

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Real nice value pick at a position that the steelers could use some quality depth. While villanueva and gilbert are the starters, he will push them. And maybe even take someones job if the other two are not careful.

Love the selection.

Say your goodbyes to mike adams.

Yep. Adams has to be gonzo, since the Steelers now have the tackles you mentioned, plus Ryan Harris.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the pick since he can play both sides. Good depth and future consideration at LT in A.V. doesn't fully blossom or GILBERT gets injured.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Hawkins: 'I don't wish that upon anybody'
    Posted May 22, 2016

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

One major thing was missing for Jerald Hawkins when he was drafted.

As Jerald Hawkins watched the 2016 NFL Draft, he wished there was a special person beside him.

As a kid, he always watched the draft with his father, Warren Hawkins. The two would talk about the players selected, and father would tell son that one day that would be him.

But when Hawkins’ time came, when it was his moment to be selected in the NFL Draft, the man that meant the most to him wasn’t there.

Warren Hawkins died of a heart attack in 2012 at just 55 years old. He wasn’t around to know that his son, the big offensive tackle from LSU, was selected by the Steelers in the fourth-round of the NFL Draft. But his son, he knew his father was there in spirit, something that helped guide him through it all.

“I remember when I was younger we would always watch the draft and he would say you are going to get that one day,” said Hawkins. “It finally came true. Once I got that call, all I could do is thank God and thank him for all he did for me.”

Hawkins admits it wasn’t easy being without him, nor was it easy losing him when he was just developing as a college player. He had some rough moments, moments he possibly needed in order to grow.

“It was hard,” said Hawkins. “I was in a slump for a good two months, missing class, digging myself into a deeper hole, until one of my teammates, Trai Turner, pulled me aside and said you have to get over it. I know you are grieving, but this is what will make you stronger. Mature from it and learn from it. I am glad he did that and took me under his wing. It made me the man I am today.

“It helped me mature even faster. I feel like I was still a kid, still a young man at 18. It was my freshman year. I saw him that Saturday and that Wednesday he passed away. I don’t wish that upon anybody, especially that quick. He was there one second and gone the next. It made me realize take nothing for granted. It helped me mature even more.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hawkins-I-dont-wish-that-upon-anybody/88584c0d-6901-42b7-8848-4371939bdf7a[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

The guy probably couldn't have landed in a better place. I mean, with our starting OT positions pretty much locked down for at least a few more years, he will have plenty of time to work with MM and hone his game. Develop his game and then, when the moment presents itself, vie for a starting position. In the mean time, learn from the great group of veterans around you, and a great OL coach to boot.

At the very least, be better than Mike Adams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post

At the very least, be better than Mike Adams.
    That won't take a whole lot.