Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Davis over Vonn Bell?

Backup

User Info Menu

Sean Davis over Vonn Bell?

What do you guys think? Been reading on Davis pre draft and there are some scarey things like bad angles, missed tackles. Did they pick the wrong safety?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bell lasted to the end of the second round because NFL scouts apparently found his tackling to be lazy...I don't know about all that, but I don't study tapes like NFL scouts...

I guess they thought that the combo of Davis at SS and Mitchell at FS was stronger than the combo of Mitchell at SS and Bell at FS...

Also, Davis did switch positions last season from Safety to Cornerback, and there is some thought that the switch played into the problems you mention...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe they see Vonn Bell as a better college player than NFL player like another former Buckeye safety Mike Doss was (i.e. maxxed out his potential already), while Sean Davis has just begun to scratch the surface of his potential. Davis seems to have the athleticism and smarts to turn into something in time...Carnell Lake sure has some raw materials to develop now with Davis and Burns both being talented but raw.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't second-guess them in this pick. The only place I would, is where character/off-field or injury issues are there. With these two guys, I think both seem clean in those areas. The coaches know what they want... I'm happy with Davis over Bell for sure.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

After he was picked, I read somewhere (I think on Steelers.com) that the reason they picked Davis was because he could be a "coverage safety." There is more of an emphasis in what Butler wants to do on coverage ability than just a thumper like Ryan Clark.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    After he was picked, I read somewhere (I think on Steelers.com) that the reason they picked Davis was because he could be a "coverage safety." There is more of an emphasis in what Butler wants to do on coverage ability than just a thumper like Ryan Clark.
    To back you up Ovi. I read were he is perfect for covering the really good athletic TE. And that is very good to have IMO.

Rookie

User Info Menu

As a SS, he would also have the opportunity to play closer to the line, where his penchant for forcing fumbles could come into play...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Except that Davis IS a massive hitter like Clark was.

Legend

User Info Menu

A smart, athletic coverage safety who also hits like a truck and forces fumbles as well? Sure sounds promising to me...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

To me, Davis is the same player as Mike Mitchell. Not sure that he solves the need for a deep cover safety/backfield signal caller. Maybe the Steelers are not really figuring Davis so much to start opposite Mitchell as to replace him in 2017.