Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Myth of BPA

Legend

User Info Menu

Because Lolley mentions matter of factly that they had a higher grade on tackles does not convince me that it is so.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Because Lolley mentions matter of factly that they had a higher grade on tackles does not convince me that it is so.
    I think our philosophy has always been BPA and need. There are a lot of quality DL's left.

I think we finally drafted CB in the first and people are still upset. It's not like we were top 10. We were 25th.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think our philosophy has always been BPA and need. There are a lot of quality DL's left.

I think we finally drafted CB in the first and people are still upset. It's not like we were top 10. We were 25th.
    Well the last CB we took in Round 1 was "Charred" Scott and now we got a guy named Burns as in burnt." Can't really love that symmetry
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

it was a reach but maybe a reach made with the thought that the talent level drop off of the remaining cb's was much bigger than the drop off of remaining dl's
    i know at least 3 or 4 DLs were predicted to be drafted in round 1 (thru numerous draft sites) that are still available starting round 2
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    According to the link below, the Steelers had higher grades on DTs but went with Burns anyway:

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160429/making_sense_of_the_artie_burns_pick#.VyLjgXy50BM. twitter[/URL]

Quite simply, they reached for a position of need. We saw how well that worked out with Troy Edwards. Let's hope that the DTs they passed on do not become the equivalent of missing on Jevon Kearse / John Tait again.

This is the second year in a row that the Steelers reached for a corner, and I say that as a guy who didn't hate the Golson pick. These corners absolutely need to play up to their draft status, or the franchise will suffer a setback similar to the huge misses in 2008.
    I think many Steeler fans looked at the CB prospects and saw a substantial drop after Ramsey, Hargreaves, Apple, and Jackson...thus everyone calling this pick a reach.

But it's quite possible that the Steeler brass looked at the CB prospects and saw a substantial drop after Ramsey, Hargreaves, Apple, Jackson, and Burns. Maybe Mackenzie Alexander's personality rubbed them the wrong way (plus the fact that he has zero interceptions in his college career) and they weren't confident in Kendall Fuller's medical reports.

I could easily see how guys like Andrew Billings, Jarran Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, etc. might have been ranked a bit higher on the Steelers overall draft board, but because of the extraordinary depth at DT, they might be able to get one of those guys tonight (or Austin Johnson, Chris Jones, Javon Hargrave, Jihad Ward, etc.).

It's a simple matter of supply and demand. To make a fantasy football comparison, you tend to get the most points from your QB, so novice fantasy players tend to take a top notch QB early (their draft guide tells them that Aaron Rodgers scores more fantasy points than Le'Veon Bell, so they take Rodgers without thinking twice about it). But there are a lot of good QB options out there, so seasoned players know that they can wait a bit to draft a QB and still land a good one. On the other hand, workhorse RB's who aren't in a committee that can get you points on the ground, through the air, and score in the red zone are very rare commodities. Since there are only a handful of them available, they go quick, and you'll be left out of the party if you don't take one early. Taking an elite back early like Le'Veon Bell and then waiting for a reasonably solid QB like, say, Matt Ryan later is a better option than going with a top notch QB early like Aaron Rodgers and then ending up with someone like Alfred Morris as a starting RB later. In this comparison, super-athletic CB prospects this year are rare like workhorse RB's are in fantasy, while solid DT prospects are plentiful this year, like solid QB options in fantasy. Make sense?

Let's say, for instance, among the guys available to them at #25, they had mid-first round grades for 3 DT's, late-first grades for another 2 DT's, 2 more DT's with early-to-mid second grades, and another 3 DT's with mid-to-late second round grades. That's 10 possible DT's they like who might fall into their laps at #58. And at CB, maybe they had Artie Burns with a late-first round grade, and the next tier of corners perhaps had late-second, early-third round grades in their eyes. Objectively, the 3 DT's with mid-first round grades would be ranked higher on their board than a CB with a late first round grade...oh no, they reached for need instead of staying true to their board! But if Burns was the last available CB they really liked, and they would be happier with any one of 10 different DT prospects who might fall to them in round 2 as compared to any of the remaining CB prospects after Burns...then they made a prudent decision in the grand scheme of things. We'll see what happens.

Basically, to sum up a lot of words and examples, if they aren't impressed with the overall depth at corner by comparison to defensive tackle, then it actually makes sense to take a guy they like from the shallow pool (CB) first, and then wait for someone of similar value from the deeper pool (DT) to fall to you later.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    it was a reach but maybe a reach made with the thought that the talent level drop off of the remaining cb's was much bigger than the drop off of remaining dl's
    i know at least 3 or 4 DLs were predicted to be drafted in round 1 (thru numerous draft sites) that are still available starting round 2
    Your comment wasn't here when I started my long winded response, but what you wrote here pretty sums up the gist of all my rambling. What he said.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

+1.. thank you. I was trying to think of a way to say this but got sidetracked with work.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Burns also had 6 INTs, leading the ACC. You could conceivably call it a reach, but everything I saw about Burns was a late first round/early second round grade...

Neither Burns nor Jones were actually a reach in the first round. They were both drafted exactly where they were graded. If a draft pick doesn't pan out after the fact, that does not retroactively make that pick a reach.

Troy Edwards was a true reach in 1999...
    I seem to recall that the Steelers really wanted David Boston in 1999 but he got drafted like 5 picks earlier so instead the Steelers went ahead and reached for Edwards. Similar to last night I guess when they couldn't get WJ3 so they grabbed for the table scraps instead of starving.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Your comment wasn't here when I started my long winded response, but what you wrote here pretty sums up the gist of all my rambling. What he said.

now if they dont go s and dl tonight, i'm gonna lose it.....lol
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

now if they dont go s and dl tonight, i'm gonna lose it.....lol
    If they are able to land a quality d-lineman and safety tonight, then everything else tomorrow is gravy.