Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Norman a Skin. How it effects us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Josh Norman a Skin. How it effects us.

75 million and 5 years. Good for him.
    Now that is likely one less team in front of us who could look corner in 1. We'll need a few more breaks to have one of the elite 4 corners make it to 25 but it's something of a positive so I just figured I'd toss it out there. Two won't get out of top 10 but the other 2 may make it to us.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the 2 round mock I did earlier today, after Ramsey and Hargreaves went in the top 10 as widely expected (in this particular case to the Chargers and Giants, respectively), the only other team ahead of us that I had taking a corner was Washington (William Jackson III). Every time I do a mock, a team does something to screw it up immediately, of course. I should take it as a sign that I should not waste my time on such things. But I won't.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

As the draft gets closer I am still baffled by how far Mackenzie Alexander has fallen.

I just don't get the knocks on this kid.
    Like his size. He's 5'10, 190. Thats the size of most of the better CBs in this league. Yet he is considered small.
    Or his speed. Well, not every CB is gonna run a 4.4 40YD, and to be great you don't need to.

From what I understand, this guy is a film room junkie who studies his opponents. I effin' love that! And he has that brash, borderline cocky attitude of a shutdown corner, which, personally, I like in a CB. It's an admirable trait from my POV(to a degree).

Not to mention his statistics of some stupid number without giving up a TD. Mainly because QBs/coordinators are scared to throw in his direction.
    Oh yeah, and he's solid in run support.

Why has A-this guy fallen out of favor and B-had other CBs leap frog him(i.e.-Jackson, Apple, Fuller and, in some cases, Burns)?

Because with yet another team selecting in front of us satisfying there need for a CB via Free Agency(Norman to Washington), if Alexander is there at 25, there would be no hesitation when it comes to turning in that card(if it were me).

What gives???

Rookie

User Info Menu

Teams are also looking for elite athleticism and upside in the first...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Teams are also looking for elite athleticism and upside in the first...
    For me, I have a hard time letting combine numbers trump game knowledge and skill set.

Starter

User Info Menu

Alexander can play.

He knows it.

And every team he played against knew it, too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    For me, I have a hard time letting combine numbers trump game knowledge and skill set.
    Cornerback is the position where raw speed matters most.

The last time we ignored combine numbers in a top pick and focused only on dominant college play we took Jarvis Jones.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Cornerback is the position where raw speed matters most.

The last time we ignored combine numbers in a top pick and focused only on dominant college play we took Jarvis Jones.
    Apparently, the Steelers learned their lesson and chose Shazier in the next draft....a guy with off-the-chart athleticism AND was very​ productive in college...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

As the draft gets closer I am still baffled by how far Mackenzie Alexander has fallen.

I just don't get the knocks on this kid.
    Like his size. He's 5'10, 190. Thats the size of most of the better CBs in this league. Yet he is considered small.
    Or his speed. Well, not every CB is gonna run a 4.4 40YD, and to be great you don't need to.

From what I understand, this guy is a film room junkie who studies his opponents. I effin' love that! And he has that brash, borderline cocky attitude of a shutdown corner, which, personally, I like in a CB. It's an admirable trait from my POV(to a degree).

Not to mention his statistics of some stupid number without giving up a TD. Mainly because QBs/coordinators are scared to throw in his direction.
    Oh yeah, and he's solid in run support.

Why has A-this guy fallen out of favor and B-had other CBs leap frog him(i.e.-Jackson, Apple, Fuller and, in some cases, Burns)?

Because with yet another team selecting in front of us satisfying there need for a CB via Free Agency(Norman to Washington), if Alexander is there at 25, there would be no hesitation when it comes to turning in that card(if it were me).

What gives???
    From Tony Pauline:

Mackensie Alexander and Shaq Lawson, Clemson
    I'm not hearing good things about Mackensie Alexander outside the lines.

Despite his on-the-field talent, numerous sources have told me the junior cornerback is a very difficult person to deal with off the field. He was difficult at Clemson, and some of his coaches are giving Alexander less than rave reviews to NFL teams - and I'm being kind. This is something originally brought to my attention during Clemson's pro day on March 10, and something I took with a grain of salt. But since last Friday, I've spoken with multiple sources, and it seems Alexander's off-the-field personality has been spoken about at length in war rooms around the league. In my opinion, the junior cornerback has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the draft, but if he starts to drop deep into Round 1, or even out of the first frame altogether, it'll be due to his off-the-field persona.

The situation could not be any different for Shaq Lawson. I'm told the guy is a warrior; not only on game day, but on the practice field, and his motor is always on. He's someone teammates are drawn to, and the feeling is Lawson will be a major asset on game day, on the practice field and in the locker room.

Read more at
    [URL="http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#8FLvEJErxte60hFR.99"]http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#8FLvEJErxte60hFR.99[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Alexander can play.

He knows it.

And every team he played against knew it, too.
    Alexander can play. 5 years from now he could be the best corner in this draft. He could be drafted well before we pick. I like him and this is no knock on him at all. I have him as my 5th corner but there is a lot to like.
    Went back and looked at the Clemson vs Fla State game. I think the tape here shows MA's strengths n weaknesses. They all have both.
    Clemson plays him in bail tech a lot. Alexander lines up everywhere in this game. Slot ,wide ,off, up and he appears to handle it all. Fla St runs a wheel on him early on and he is quick to turn open his hips and has good play speed and gets his head around and the pass was incomplete.
    He gets a little grabby on some drag routes and that can be cleaned up. Now on some 9 hole plays he got wash out to easy, his vision to see the play including the blockers will need to and should get better. He gets cut off his feet a bit to easy for me in the run game. Missed a few tackles in this game and that can and will need to get cleaned up as well.
    A very good solid prospect who is quick enough but lacks some length.
    Can he cover AJ Green ? Now that is the question.