Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The day the Browns passed on Big Ben

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I could see the Dolphins offering the Browns their second round pick to move up from 13 to 8 (their original draft position before the Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso trade) to get Elliott since they tried to sign every RB under the sun in free agency but came up empty handed.
    It would be epic insanity for Cleveland to trade out of the the blue chip tier level of this draft-TWICE. As you said, Ruthless, at 8 they are still gonna get a top tier player no matter how the draft shakes out.
    Plus not only do they play the Eagles in week 1, but they also play miami in week 3. Flirting with a lot of fate, there.

I just feel like doing a trade like that is trying to do too much. Almost like undoing some of the potential good you created with the initial trade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    And I could definitely see Cleveland taking Elliott.
    Some say Dallas. It'll be an interesting draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Some say Dallas. It'll be an interesting draft.
    If San Diego takes Tunsil, I can't see the Cowboys passing on Ramsey.

If San Diego takes Ramsey, I could see the Cowboys taking Elliott.

However, with Hardy gone and now Demarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory both suspended for the first month of the season, they could really be tempted to go for a pass rusher like Bosa instead. We'll see in a week.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really like Carson Wentz as a prospect. I think he's best QB to come out since Luck (I like him more coming out than Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Bridgewater, and Carr). Glad he has zero chance of going to an AFC North rival now.
    Wow, what do you base it on? When I see Wentz, I see potential. But it is hard to consider him anything other than that, given his lack of big-time play. Wouldn't Landry Jones have looked as good at ND State? Or Nick Foles? Or Tom Savage, the big kid from Pitt, or any of many major college kids? It seems risky to take a guy #1 overall like that.

For the record, I don't really like taking small-hands Goff #1 overall either. Seems like just a good player (e.g. Jake Plummer, Alex Smith) rather than a potential superstar.
    Last edited by Shoe; 04-21-2016 at 12:42 AM.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Wow, what do you base it on? When I see Wentz, I see potential. But it is hard to consider him anything other than that, given his lack of big-time play. Wouldn't Landry Jones have looked as good at ND State? Or Nick Foles? Or Tom Savage, the big kid from Pitt, or any of many major college kids? It seems risky to take a guy #1 overall like that.

For the record, I don't really like taking small-hands Goff #1 overall either. Seems like just a good player (e.g. Jake Plummer, Alex Smith) rather than a potential superstar.
    Size, arm strength, athleticism, leadership skills, a winner, and ran a pro style offense. The only thing against him is level of competition, but he dominated the opposition put in front of him, which is all you can expect. The reason that Ben went 3rd behind Eli and Rivers is because Miami of Ohio was not regarded as highly as Ole Miss or N.C. State, just like North Dakota State isn't regarded as highly as Cal Berkeley.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could see the Dolphins offering the Browns their second round pick to move up from 13 to 8 (their original draft position before the Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso trade) to get Elliott since they tried to sign every RB under the sun in free agency but came up empty handed.
    If so, i think the Browns get their QB at 13, in Lynch ( I think he has lot of upside), and still have 2 2nd rounders ,2 3rd rounds, and 2 4th fourth rounders... and i think this a deep draft in DL, OG, S I would love for us to have so many picks in 2nd or 3rd.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And that's the problem when you locked into drafting for need...you can only draft whomever is available...

Just because you need a QB, that doesn't mean that Andrew Luck is available in the draft...hence, overdrafting a Goff or a Wentz at #1 overall...

The Steelers have been lucky in the past...either a draft is deep in the position that they need (like this draft) or a top rated prospect falls into their laps (DeCastro)....
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And that's the problem when you locked into drafting for need...you can only draft whomever is available...

Just because you need a QB, that doesn't mean that Andrew Luck is available in the draft...hence, overdrafting a Goff or a Wentz at #1 overall...

The Steelers have been lucky in the past...either a draft is deep in the position that they need (like this draft) or a top rated prospect falls into their laps (DeCastro)....
    Yep, I'm actually impressed Cleveland moved back this year. I definitely think this years QB class isn't legit.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yep, I'm actually impressed Cleveland moved back this year. I definitely think this years QB class isn't legit.
    I would have just taken Wentz. You need a legit QB to compete in this league. That doesn't mean I would have necessarily mortgaged my future to go get one like L.A. and Philly did, but if I had a top 2 pick already and did not have a franchise QB, I would simply stay put and take one. To me, passing up the opportunity to take Carson Wentz is like if we chose to draft Shawn Andrews instead of Ben Roethlisberger when we were picking 11th in 2004. I think they are going to regret this decision. Again.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would have just taken Wentz. You need a legit QB to compete in this league. That doesn't mean I would have necessarily mortgaged my future to go get one like L.A. and Philly did, but if I had a top 2 pick already and did not have a franchise QB, I would simply stay put and take one. To me, passing up the opportunity to take Carson Wentz is like if we chose to draft Shawn Andrews instead of Ben Roethlisberger when we were picking 11th in 2004. I think they are going to regret this decision. Again.
    I can't argue with this at all. Someone else said the Browns passing on these 2 QB's means they will definitely have good careers.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"