Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$$$ They Got

Legend

User Info Menu

$$$$$ They Got

Thought you might be interested to see the actual contracts given to some of the FAs the Steelers brought in (or that message board gurus thought they should bring in):

• Terrance Knighton, DT (Patriots): One year, $2.018MM. $250K signing bonus. Up to $500K in per-game roster bonuses. $100K workout bonus. Up to $300K in performance incentives. Up to $2MM in playing-time incentives. $500K Pro Bowl incentive.
    • Stefen Wisniewski, C/G (Eagles): One year, $1.51MM. $500K signing bonus. Up to $250K in per-game roster bonuses. Up to $1.25MM in incentives.
    • Jack Crawford, DE (Cowboys): One year, $1.1MM. $240K signing bonus. $100K workout de-escalator. Up to $500K in incentives.
    • Spencer Paysinger, LB (Dolphins): One year, minimum salary benefit. $80K signing bonus. $120K of $760K base salary is guaranteed.

Starter

User Info Menu

Count me among those that advocated for bringing Knighton aboard. He's a true NT, but he would have locked down his 20-30 snaps a game, helping us get to 2nd and 3rd and longs. Then its up to the rushers to create pressure and the DBs to make plays.

Why Knighton? It would allow us to go after DBs aggressively in the draft, while also taking advantage of the depth at DL and getting a capable guy to spell Heyward & Tuitt in Round 3 or 4. Knighton could be had for a reasonable amount (I would have advocated for a three contract with a nice first year and following years that would allow cutting him and saving cap space); I would have made space by signing DeCastro long term and reducing his 8M+ hit this year. Lock down the running game on D while Ben still is with us running the O. A small adjustment that would have made us better this year and not hurt our cap in the future years.

Kills me that the Patriots got him--he'll do a good job there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    Count me among those that advocated for bringing Knighton aboard. He's a true NT, but he would have locked down his 20-30 snaps a game, helping us get to 2nd and 3rd and longs. Then its up to the rushers to create pressure and the DBs to make plays.

Why Knighton? It would allow us to go after DBs aggressively in the draft, while also taking advantage of the depth at DL and getting a capable guy to spell Heyward & Tuitt in Round 3 or 4. Knighton could be had for a reasonable amount (I would have advocated for a three contract with a nice first year and following years that would allow cutting him and saving cap space); I would have made space by signing DeCastro long term and reducing his 8M+ hit this year. Lock down the running game on D while Ben still is with us running the O. A small adjustment that would have made us better this year and not hurt our cap in the future years.

Kills me that the Patriots got him--he'll do a good job there.

Amazing to me how cheap they got him. And you're right, the Steelers could have afforded him by making the moves you outlined.

We'll see how it plays out. I hate that the *'s seem to be able to make moves like this that keep them up near the top of the league all the time.

Starter

User Info Menu

The Steelers backups often surprise us ( I remember the groaning about taking up PS space with Hoke). Let's hope McCullers can surprise or we get someone in the draft who is up to the task in year one. Maybe the June 1 cuts give us another option.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Amazing to me how cheap they got him. And you're right, the Steelers could have afforded him by making the moves you outlined.

We'll see how it plays out. I hate that the *'s seem to be able to make moves like this that keep them up near the top of the league all the time.
    More and more now , I am getting convinced their GM spends a lot of time on Steeler message boards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    More and more now , I am getting convinced their GM spends a lot of time on Steeler message boards.
    tiproast.....?

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe Belichick himself is their de facto GM...I think he has better things to do than hang out here.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    The Steelers backups often surprise us ( I remember the groaning about taking up PS space with Hoke). Let's hope McCullers can surprise or we get someone in the draft who is up to the task in year one. Maybe the June 1 cuts give us another option.
    I'm optimistic McCullers will be a bright spot this season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I believe Belichick himself is their de facto GM...I think he has better things to do than hang out here.
    No doubt! But it is a coincidence that fans were looking for pass rush help last year and an in range Jabaal Sheard was there. NE grabbed him. He did a nice job for them. Of course, they, like some other teams needed CB help a couple years ago and got it. That pickup certainly did not hurt them on their way to a championship even though I thought it was a bit lucky. Now this year they reinforce their D-line with a quality player also apparently considered here, even though I agree with letting the draft address that situation.

But it's like BradshawsHairdresser said. They do what is necessary and are staying at the top. But of course it is just a coincidence.

Legend

User Info Menu

lol.. or he just addresses their needs because he cuts guys for breakfast regardless of performance or pay
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"