Thread: jaylon smith draft risk

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

jaylon smith draft risk

After watching the NFL network, and their positive report on ND's Jaylan Smith. I want this guy!

Where would you risk to pick him up?

1st to risky
    2nd so so
    3rd is he going to be there?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good guy. Great player. Medical will decide. He may not even be on our board. It's risky but I wouldn't mind rolling the dice in 2nd but that is just me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hard for us fans to take another top pick of ours (Golson) medically redshirting again. But it also is very tempting to think of a healthy Jaylon Smith teamed with (a healthy) Ryan Shazier. They'd shut down the whole short/intermediate area of the field.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have read other reports that say he has nerve damage in the knee. Not sure I would touch him before 3rd round.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have read other reports that say he has nerve damage in the knee. Not sure I would touch him before 3rd round.
    That is the "if", the interview said, he was squating and leg pressing over 400 lbs, and walking without any limp... great improvement from the combine!

Legend

User Info Menu

Similar injury situation:

By Mike Florio
    April 2, 2016, 2:44 PM EDT
    Browns release Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

More than a year after a torn ACL suffered in practice derailed his hopes of being a first-round draft pick, cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu continues to try to re-establish his football career.

The Browns have announced that Ekpre-Olomu has been released. He’ll now be subject to the waivers system. If he clears waivers, he’ll become a free agent.

Cut with the “non-football injury” designation, Ekpre-Olomu’s knee apparently has still not fully recovered from the December 2014 injury.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the 49ers make a claim for Ekpre-Olomu, given that coach Chip Kelly recruited Ekpre-Olomu to Oregon.

Ekpre-Olomu reportedly received $3 million from an insurance company as a result of the injury. Still, if he ends up having no NFL career, he will have lost a lot more than that.

But, no, there continue to be no valid reason for providing college football players fair compensation for the millions their efforts generate.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would love to pick him no earlier then 3rd for me. But if/when healthy he is at least Spence. And being a top 5 talent if he hits that ceiling then he upgrades over Timmons. Nice fairy tale to think about for sure. Is the steelers Dr. Not one of the best knee guys in the country? I am sure they have a good handle on it. But I also think someone take's a chance on him before the Steelers would.