Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Brandon Boykin to Visit the Carolina Panthers Monday

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Brandon Boykin to Visit the Carolina Panthers Monday

One of the top remaining cornerbacks on the free agent market, Brandon Boykin, is expected to visit the Carolina Panthers on Monday.

The Carolina Panthers have yet to address the nickelback position this offseason with Bene Benwikere heading to the outside and Cortland Finnegan not brought back. However, that may change on Monday as the team is expected to meet with Brandon Boykin on Monday according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Boykin, who started his career with the Philadelphia Eagles before being traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers prior to last season, has made a name for himself playing the nickel position. At only 5'10" the former Georgia Bulldog would be at a disadvantage on the outside, going up against taller wide receivers.

Despite the height, there would be plenty of upside for the Panthers to add a player like Boykin to their defense. He has yet to miss a game in his four-year career due to injury and has really created a name for himself at the position. The Panthers meanwhile do have a significant hole in their secondary and being only 25 years old, he could be a long-term answer versus just a stop gap for a season or two.

The market has been fairly quiet for Boykin this offseason and the reason may be because of his struggles this past season with the Steelers. According to Jim Wexell, Boykin really didn't see much playing time until midway through and the reason was because coaches had said he failed to really grasp their defense.

This could benefit the Panthers though as now being almost a month in, the price tag to sign a young cornerback like Boykin may have significant dropped.

This is one player that makes sense for Carolina from a skill set point of view as well as a need for this defense. At the end of the day, it may come down to money and if the two sides can agree on a contract.

[url]http://www.scout.com/nfl/panthers/story/1655425-report-boykin-to-visit-panthers-monday[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ohh well, Steelers screwed up by leading Boykin down the road he walked last season and lost a pick for it. Move along.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Ohh well, Steelers screwed up by leading Boykin down the road he walked last season and lost a pick for it. Move along.
    This actually sucks... bigtime. I agree with your thoughts on them slow walking him though.. If Boykin leaves, that puts Corner as a top position of need in the draft. Sad thing is, he could have been retained for a reasonable deal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

pCan't understand everyone's obsession with BOYKIN??
    The only thing that disappoints me is we gave up a draft pick for him.

Other than that there has to be a reason for his lack of playing time. I myself was the harshest critic of BLAKE and cried for BOYKIN all season to move to the slot.
    However this guy isn't demanded in the market for a reason maybe??

Something tells me he thinks he's a big money starter in the NFL when he'll never be more than a NICKEL slot CB.
    He could have some mental issues and that's why the STEELERS have moved so slow on him. Who knows but something is missing here b/c he looks like he could be a really good slot CB and in today's NFL that's a VERY important position. You'd think he would have drawn attention in the 1st week of FA.

To put it in perspective, ANTWON BLAKE was signed before this guy got a visit!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Boykin signs, the Steelers will get a pick back for him, most likely...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Boykin signs, the Steelers will get a pick back for him, most likely...
    Ah, good thinking my man. What factors will decide the position of the COMP pick?? The amount he signs for??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Ah, good thinking my man. What factors will decide the position of the COMP pick?? The amount he signs for??
    There are a few other factors they take into account, but the biggest weight by far is contract dollars.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    pCan't understand everyone's obsession with BOYKIN??
    The only thing that disappoints me is we gave up a draft pick for him.

Other than that there has to be a reason for his lack of playing time. I myself was the harshest critic of BLAKE and cried for BOYKIN all season to move to the slot.
    However this guy isn't demanded in the market for a reason maybe??

Something tells me he thinks he's a big money starter in the NFL when he'll never be more than a NICKEL slot CB.
    He could have some mental issues and that's why the STEELERS have moved so slow on him. Who knows but something is missing here b/c he looks like he could be a really good slot CB and in today's NFL that's a VERY important position. You'd think he would have drawn attention in the 1st week of FA.

To put it in perspective, ANTWON BLAKE was signed before this guy got a visit!!
    Obsession? I just look at the facts. Boykin got on the field more late in the year.. and, in the process.. we got better as a secondary unit. Hate to let those kind of guys go. I haven't read anything about him being a character issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure Tomlin was/is high on the guy.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Obsession? I just look at the facts. Boykin got on the field more late in the year.. and, in the process.. we got better as a secondary unit. Hate to let those kind of guys go. I haven't read anything about him being a character issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure Tomlin was/is high on the guy.
    I agree with Ernie here. I hate to say it But I think he was on a snap count this year to only give up I think it was a 5th and not a 3rd rd pick. It is the only thing that made any sense. As long as they were winning enough I think they felt they had to stick to this. Todays NFL . It would be nice to bring him back but not a must. Think alot has to do with there plans with C Allen. If they allow Allen to stick they will go with Allen, Gay , Cochrell, and Golson and a 1st through 3rd round corner and feel comfortable actually they would be fine with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Boykin signs elsewhere he will be with his third team in 18 months. We aren't talking Rod Woodson here. Would he be nice to retain for depth...sure. But he is likely nothing more than a #3 CB and I think the team has Golson pegged for that position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"