Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers expected to sign

Legend

User Info Menu

One extra bonus...the TE chant can live on. We can replace HEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH with GREEEEEEEEEEEEEN. Why weren't we doing that back in the Eric Green era?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like it, but defense wins championships. Let's build there.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I like it, but defense wins championships. Let's build there.
    That's what the draft is for. And it's a good draft for defense.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

I have to say I am glad to hear this. I was hoping that the Steelers would go after Green...he played extremely well when Antonio Gates went down last year.
    I believe his addition will make Ben a very happy QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here are the numbers on Green, per Aaron Wilson:

Ladarius Green Steelers deal: $20M total, $4.75M signing bonus, salaries $1.25M, $5M, $4.5M, $4.5M

Similar to the Mike Mitchell deal in a lot of ways. If he performs well, they keep him for a reasonable salary. If not, the cap hit this year is just under $2.3 million, which is quite manageable, and if he is a total bust, there is only $3.5 million in dead money.

Very workable deal.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 03-09-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I really like this move. He is actually running away from defenders in the secondary.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That's what the draft is for. And it's a good draft for defense.
    True, however, will Weddle or a rookie safety or CB actually see the playing field? The Steelers also need to build for right now, there's only 3 or 4 more years of elite Ben left, he is 34 after all. Weddle should be the choice before a rookie or an athletic TE, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Here are the numbers on Green, per Aaron Wilson:

Ladarius Green Steelers deal: $20M total, $4.75M signing bonus, salaries $1.25M, $5M, $4.5M, $4.5M

Similar to the Mike Mitchell deal in a lot of ways. If he performs well, they keep him for a reasonable salary. If not, the cap hit this year is just under $2.3 million, which is quite manageable, and if he is a total bust, there is only $3.5 million in dead money.

Very workable deal.
    Other up and coming TE's around Green's age (25 y.o., 4 years in NFL) who are coming off their rookie deals are getting big money second contracts like Coby Fleener (27 y.o., 4 years in NFL) getting $36 million for 5 years from the Saints and Dwayne Allen (26 y.o., 4 years in NFL) getting $29.4 million for 4 years from the Colts.

What we are paying Green is more in line with what veteran TE's on the back nine of their careers like Mercedes Lewis (31 y.o., 10 years in NFL) getting $12 million for 3 years from the Jaguars and Ben Watson (35 y.o., 12 years in NFL) getting $8 million for 2 years from the Ravens.

Certainly seems like a heck of a deal to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    True, however, will Weddle or a rookie safety or CB actually see the playing field? The Steelers also need to build for right now, there's only 3 or 4 more years of elite Ben left, he is 34 after all. Weddle should be the choice before a rookie or an athletic TE, IMO.

Pappy
    I'm rooting for a Weddle signing as well, Pap. Hopefully Dulac wasn't just blowing smoke in his chat today...

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder if the fact that Green visited Pittsburgh today, when the temperatures were unseasonably warm in the 70's made a difference in terms of his first impression of Pittsburgh for a guy who went to Ike Taylor's alma mater down in Louisiana and then was drafted by San Diego...it might have been different if it were an early March day in Pittsburgh day with temps in the 20's and snowing instead.