Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Official 2016 Visit Thread.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Added Jayron Kearse. No date given. He confirmed that he visited.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Somewhere I've read we were linked with artiE burns CB. Pro day and maybe an interview somewhere.
    Didn't see him in our list

Great job BTW

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at the list of 27 official visits that calm has listed so far...to get an idea of what positions that we might be targeting in which rounds.

The team brought in 3 defensive tackles, 2 with a 1st round projection and 1 in the 3rd round.

The team brought in 11 safeties (ELEVEN!), 4 with a 2nd round projection, 2 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th-5th, 1 in the 5th, 1 in the 5th-6th, and 2 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 2 wideouts, 1 with a 2nd round projection and 1 in the 2nd-3rd.

The team brought in 6 corners, 2 with a 3rd-4th round projection, 1 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 1 in the 5th-6th, and 1 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 2 linebackers, 1 with a 5th round projection and 1 in the 6th.

The team brought in 2 offensive tackles, 1 with a 2nd-3rd round projection and 1 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 1 defensive end with a 7th-FA projection.

Judging solely by this data alone, this could be our draft haul in term of position by round:
    1. DT
    2. S
    3. WR
    4. CB
    6. LB
    7. OT
    7. DE
    (additional safeties and corners could be added with our late round picks or as priority free agents).

Of course, we also know that the team sent out large contingents (including GM, HC, DC, and DB coaches) to visit guys like Eli Apple, William Jackson III, Artie Burns, etc. at their place instead of at our place (they also wined and dined Andrew Billings after the Baylor Pro Day as well), so the official visit info is only part of the story, but it is interesting to see these types of trends emerging.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Two more defensive backs visit Steelers
    Posted by Zac Jackson on April 19, 2016, 2:31 PM EDT

The Steelers hosted three draft prospects Tuesday, and two of them have something in common with many of the team’s previous pre-draft visitors.

They’re defensive backs. The Steelers are taking a look at lots of them.

In Tuesday were Texas A&M cornerback Brandon Williams, Michigan safety Jarrod Wilson and Utah running back Devontae Booker. The Steelers had previously hosted some of the draft’s top defensive backs — both safeties and cornerbacks — including Ohio State’s Vonn Bell, Florida’s Keanu Neal, West Virginia’s Karl Joseph, Alabama’s Cyrus Jones and Boise State’s Darian Thompson.

Williams was one of the fastest players at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, posting a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash. He played both offense and defense and returned kicks in his college career.

Wilson is a late-round safety prospect who had his best college season last fall. Booker was a productive running back at Utah who’s battled some injury issues, and the Steelers figure to add a young back at some point in this draft to play behind Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams.

The Steelers have now hosted 29 of their 30 allotted pre-draft visitors.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/19/two-more-defensive-backs-visit-steelers/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Looking at the list of 27 official visits that calm has listed so far...to get an idea of what positions that we might be targeting in which rounds.

The team brought in 3 defensive tackles, 2 with a 1st round projection and 1 in the 3rd round.

The team brought in 11 safeties (ELEVEN!), 4 with a 2nd round projection, 2 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th-5th, 1 in the 5th, 1 in the 5th-6th, and 2 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 2 wideouts, 1 with a 2nd round projection and 1 in the 2nd-3rd.

The team brought in 6 corners, 2 with a 3rd-4th round projection, 1 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 1 in the 5th-6th, and 1 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 2 linebackers, 1 with a 5th round projection and 1 in the 6th.

The team brought in 2 offensive tackles, 1 with a 2nd-3rd round projection and 1 in the 7th-FA.

The team brought in 1 defensive end with a 7th-FA projection.

Judging solely by this data alone, this could be our draft haul in term of position by round:
    1. DT
    2. S
    3. WR
    4. CB
    6. LB
    7. OT
    7. DE
    (additional safeties and corners could be added with our late round picks or as priority free agents).

Of course, we also know that the team sent out large contingents (including GM, HC, DC, and DB coaches) to visit guys like Eli Apple, William Jackson III, Artie Burns, etc. at their place instead of at our place (they also wined and dined Andrew Billings after the Baylor Pro Day as well), so the official visit info is only part of the story, but it is interesting to see these types of trends emerging.

what really surprises me the most is the lack of LBS.
    for being a 3-4 team, our lack of good olbs, age and depth of ilbs, and our past history of bringing in lots of them puzzles me.

as i said before, i will be satisfied with c,s,dt and olb the first 4 picks or doubling up on c,s or dl the first 4 rounds.
    any offensive pick is gonna have me screaming
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the lack of LBs is because the Steelers spend so little time in the base D...there aren't 4 LBs being LBs very often...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    what really surprises me the most is the lack of LBS.
    for being a 3-4 team, our lack of good olbs, age and depth of ilbs, and our past history of bringing in lots of them puzzles me.

as i said before, i will be satisfied with c,s,dt and olb the first 4 picks or doubling up on c,s or dl the first 4 rounds.
    any offensive pick is gonna have me screaming
    I'm hoping for a very defense heavy draft, especially early on, but I could live with one offensive player in our top 4 picks (what if someone like WR Sterling Shepard or OG Joshua Garnett is still on the board at #89?), as long as the other 3 picks are a CB, S, and DT (in some order).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Currently I show 30 visits taking place. Some outlets are still only reporting 29. I believe this is because Jayron Kearse stated that he visited the Steelers, but no official media outlet posted it as a visit, the day he did visit. So I will hold at 30 and complete up until someone officially reports another visitor. Also the visits by round has not be fully updated with the last few visitors yet. I hope to have that completed today it time permits.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Updated 4/20/16
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Top-30 visits shortly before NFL draft important part of selection process

April 27, 2016 12:00 AM

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers brought in 30 college prospects over the past month to meet with their coaches, front-office executives and scouts. They gave the players a tour of their facilities, had them meet individually with position coaches and did some X’s and O’s with them on the chalkboard.

All NFL teams get to meet with prospects early in the draft process at the Senior Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine and their respective pro days. The Steelers interviewed 120 prospects at various places this winter and spring, but the 30 visits teams are allocated with prospects at their facilities are by far the most extensive meetings they get with prospects.

“What you’re really trying to get at is what, authentically, are they all about?” said Louis Riddick, a former director of pro personnel with the Redskins and Eagles who now is an analyst with ESPN. “They’re so coached up in today’s process starting from Senior Bowl to these top-30 visits that it’s very hard to crack the code with these guys, to get out of that monotone agent/adviser speak that’s always ‘Yes sir, no sir, I’ll do whatever you ask me to do sir.’

“Because you know that’s not how 95 percent of these players are. You have to be very tactful in how you try to say ‘Hey look, let’s cut through all that stuff and I really want to get to whether this is the best place for you, whether you are the best player for us.’ Because in the end everyone wants to be successful, the player wants to be successful, the organization wants to be successful. Some teams, some coaches, some scouts are better at disarming players than others.”

In that way, it’s like any job interview. Except in this case the employer is trying to find out whether it’s smart to invest millions of dollars in athletes who are between 21-24 years old.

“You’re not going to hire someone unless you interview them,” said Charley Casserly, a former general manager of the Redskins and Texans who now is an analyst for the NFL Network. “It’s part of the process. You might have some tough questions for them on their character, their background or whatever. That’s what you have to work on there. You go through that, you try to figure out what makes him tick, his drive, his determination. Getting a feel for his personality is important.”

Twenty-four of the 30 prospects who visited with the Steelers were safeties (13), cornerbacks (6) or defensive linemen (5), their three biggest areas of need entering the NFL draft Thursday through Saturday.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin also like to schedule dinner dates with some of their top draft targets the night before their pro days at their college campuses. These can be just as important as a top-30 visit because it’s a chance to visit with a prospect when his guard might be down.

Recent history does indicate the players who pass through the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex are strong candidates to be drafted or signed as undrafted free agents.

In each of the past two years, seven of the 30 prospects who visited were drafted or signed as undrafted free agents by the Steelers. The players who were drafted or signed who were top-30 visitors a year ago were Senquez Golson, Doran Grant, Tyler Murphy, Sammie Coates, Jesse James, Cameron Clear and Devin Gardner.

If that seems like a lot of work and expense when only seven players on average are drafted every year, it’s not. The homework teams do on players they don’t draft during the predraft process isn’t discarded after the draft. It’s filed away and used again when players are released or become free agents later in their careers.

In advance of the 2012 draft, the Steelers brought in a tight end from Louisiana-Lafayette named Ladarius Green. The Steelers did not draft Green (he went to the Chargers in the fourth round), but they signed Green to a $20 million free agent contract in March because they knew he would fit in their organization as a result of the 2012 predraft process.

The Steelers obviously liked what they learned about Green and others they did select in the draft, but there are times teams are so dissatisfied with a top-30 visit that the player is taken off their draft board altogether.

“Have I ever been turned off by a player? Absolutely I have,” Riddick said. “And I’ve been turned off after the fact when I found out that we weren’t able to crack the code. As soon as an intern or driver takes him to the airport after a visit, he lets his true self be known. Maybe he badmouths his visit, didn’t like his hotel, didn’t like he wasn’t first class on the airplane. And we have eliminated players based on that kind of behavior alone. Teams will find out sooner or later authentically who you are. It behooves players to show it to us right off the bat.”

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/04/27/Top-30-visits-shortly-before-NFL-draft-important-part-of-selection-process/stories/201604270018[/URL]