Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Heath Miller Retires

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    REMEMBER how many of you wanted Matt Jones, QB/WR from Arkansas instead of Heath?

(runs away from thread giggling like a fool)
    6'7", 4.4 speed, who wouldn't want him
    What became of him eventually anyway? Is he in prison or in Canada?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    6'7", 4.4 speed, who wouldn't want him
    What became of him eventually anyway? Is he in prison or in Canada?
    Should have beefed him up into a tight end

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

“Without Heath, we still have Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell, Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton,” Colbert said. “I don’t know how big of a part [tight ends] will play. It depends on their abilities and their ability to contribute within our group. They might contribute more on another team than they would with us because we have some other weapons available.”

Maybe its smoke but it sounds legit.

Heath was definitely a factor in a few games last year as a receiver but far too often he was ignored by Ben who was looking for WR's downfield.

Adequate is probably what we prefer from our TE. Heath was a good blocker but he was an aequate weapon as a receiver. Having the ability to do both well made him special to us...

Last edited by feltdizz; 02-27-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Heath was a good blocker but he was an aequate weapon as a receiver. Having the ability to do both well made him special to us...
    Which is why I am proposing drafting TE who has the ability to do both...you acknowledge that's special.

Jesse James in year 2 won't be more than adequate this year. A rookie in year 1 won't be more than adequate this year either. And with our other offensive weapons, maybe adequate TE production next year will be enough.

But I'm not just picking for next year...I'm picking for the next decade. What if the top TE's coming out in the next couple of drafts are all "move" TE's rather than complete TE's? I take the guy who can do both, the guy who can potentially be special for us over the next decade.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I might pump the brakes on Jesse James a bit...he's played in 10 games so far and has 9 total catches. I give him credit for being a willing blocker (many TE's coming out of college these days give minimal effort in this regard), but he's not much more than that yet in my opinion. I think he was certainly a solid value pick where we got him last year, but I see James as more of a complementary piece than our heir apparent to Heath (a rich man's Jerame Tuman, perhaps?). I think Arkansas's Hunter Henry is more of a Heath type in terms of an old school throwback type complete TE. And he's ranked by most as an late first or early second round type of prospect...at the perfect time in my eyes.
    I just disagree. James is 6'7" and runs, catches, and blocks as well as Heath at this point. Maybe not when Heath was in his prime but James isn't in his prime yet either. It wasn't his fault he wasn't utilized due to Heath's presence. I saw the same potential in AB when he wasn't being used all that much as a rookie. Coaches are irrationally loyal to vets. James passes the eye test and he has the measurables.

It's hard for many people to see past where a player was drafted. Some people can project forward and some need a season or two of starter production until they finally come on board. So I see James catching 50-60 balls next season. No reason to use a top pick on a TE imo. He's that good. I don't see a reason to pump the breaks. We found our future TE. Cool thing about opinions and projections is we get to find out who is right and wrong once next season hits.

It's similar to Villanueva. From the first time I saw him play I knew he'd be able to make it as a LT. There are probably still people who think we should draft a LT or sign Beachum to a big contract where I believe we are set. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a LT in the draft or a TE in the draft. It just means to me, we can use those first few picks on other positions like corner, safety, ILB, NT where we are desperate for top notch talent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Watching TE's at Combine. Morgan from UTSA stuck out, but may be a bit slow. The TE from OSU- Vannett- looked pretty good. Henry was ok too. Vannett may be one to watch...In fact, I liked him over Henry....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 02-27-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Rookie

User Info Menu

Vannett is good...I wouldn't be sad at all if we drafted him...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelYinzer View Post
    I just disagree. James is 6'7" and runs, catches, and blocks as well as Heath at this point. Maybe not when Heath was in his prime but James isn't in his prime yet either. It wasn't his fault he wasn't utilized due to Heath's presence. I saw the same potential in AB when he wasn't being used all that much as a rookie. Coaches are irrationally loyal to vets. James passes the eye test and he has the measurables.

It's hard for many people to see past where a player was drafted. Some people can project forward and some need a season or two of starter production until they finally come on board. So I see James catching 50-60 balls next season. No reason to use a top pick on a TE imo. He's that good. I don't see a reason to pump the breaks. We found our future TE. Cool thing about opinions and projections is we get to find out who is right and wrong once next season hits.

It's similar to Villanueva. From the first time I saw him play I knew he'd be able to make it as a LT. There are probably still people who think we should draft a LT or sign Beachum to a big contract where I believe we are set. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a LT in the draft or a TE in the draft. It just means to me, we can use those first few picks on other positions like corner, safety, ILB, NT where we are desperate for top notch talent.
    Good points. I guess its easy to see James as a career back up based on seeing him as Heath's back up.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Watching TE's at Combine. Morgan from UTSA stuck out, but may be a bit slow. The TE from OSU- Vannett- looked pretty good. Henry was ok too. Vannett may be one to watch...In fact, I liked him over Henry....
    Was Morgan the one with his hair in a bun?
    If so, i agree whole heartedly

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Was Morgan the one with his hair in a bun?
    If so, i agree whole heartedly
    I believe he did, but so did my guy from ECU- Bryce Williams. Bryce made catches last year that reminded me of Gronk. He has long arms and is 6'6". His problem is that he wasn't used much as a blocking TE- if at all.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion