Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle

Legend

User Info Menu

ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle

Upgrading their secondary is the Steelers' top priority this offseason, and that will include looking into signing free agent safety Eric Weddle.

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Steelers will explore signing Weddle, a free agent that will likely not return to the Chargers, his team for the first nine years of his career.

Weddle, 31, is a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro. Similar to Troy Polamalu, Weddle, who has 19 career interceptions and 74 career passes defensed, is for known for his impeccable instincts, his athleticism, and his ability to thrive both in pass protection and in run support.

But for the first time since 2009, Weddle failed to play in all 16 games, as injuries sidelined him for three games in 2015. He also failed to record an interception for the first time since his rookie season last fall, while recording just 53 tackles, also his lowest total since his rookie season.

Despite his decline in production last season, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is a big fan of Weddle, and praised the veteran safety prior to Pittsburgh's matchup in San Diego last season.

“I love Eric Weddle, always have,” Tomlin said. “He’s so versatile. He’s a sub-package linebacker. He plays strong safety. He plays free safety. He plays half-field, middle of the field. They blitz him. He’s a do-everything type of a player, and a good one.”

As always, money is a significant factor in free agency, and that might be the biggest determining factor when it comes to whether or not Weddle will become a member of the Steelers. But if negotiations get serious between the two sides, Pittsburgh might be willing to spend more than normal to acquire a player that should immediately upgrade the Steelers' secondary.

While Weddle didn't have a great 2015 season, DeAngelo Williams also didn't have a very good final season with the Panthers before the Steelers made him the best free agent signing of the 2015 offseason. Williams, who battled injuries during his final season in Carolina, was reborn in Pittsburgh, enjoying his best year in seven seasons while helping the Steelers win its first playoff game since the 2010 season.

Weddle could have a similar story in Pittsburgh, while possibly being one of the final pieces of the Steelers' Super Bowl puzzle.

[url]http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-Steelers-will-explore-signing-veteran-safety-Eric-Weddle-43620658[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would be very pleased by this signing.

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as the numbers are reasonable, after all he is on the wrong side of 30.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    As long as the numbers are reasonable, after all he is on the wrong side of 30.

Pappy
    right on, pap
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Would be a great off season move
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Weddle could have a similar story in Pittsburgh as DW, while possibly being one of the final pieces of the Steelers' Super Bowl puzzle.
    We can't go after someone who had a good year? Sure he "could have" a similar season as DW, but that says little about whether he's *likely* to.

It would be such a bummer if we hired a recently-injured old guy who had a rotten season to find what-we-saw-is-what-we-got.

There's really no chance of getting someone in their prime we can plan on being productive for a while?
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 02-11-2016 at 09:48 AM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    We can't go after someone who had a good year? Sure he "could have" a similar season as DW, but that says little about whether he's *likely* to.

It would be such a bummer if we hired a recently-injured old guy who had a rotten season to find what-we-saw-is-what-we-got.

There's really no chance of getting someone in their prime we can plan on being productive for a while?
    I think that's a valid concern. I would hope they really do their homework before deciding to sign someone like Weddle. He's been very good in past years, but he's also at the age when he could be into his decline. It would be really nice if they could get someone very good at that position (or a stud CB) who is about six years younger. I understand, though, that such a player would probably demand a lot more money, which the Steelers cannot/will not pay.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't this about the age when it was becoming noticeable that Troy was not the same Troy Polamalu of previous years. I believe Troy is 34 right now, so 31-32 was about the time I think.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    That would be nose tackle Damon Harrison of the New York Jets...final piece of our DL puzzle (although we'd still need to draft 3-4 DE depth, but if we were able to sign NT Harrison as our one big FA acquisition, then we could focus on DL depth in round 4 or 7 instead of looking for a DL starter in round 1 or 2.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That would be nose tackle Damon Harrison of the New York Jets...final piece of our DL puzzle (although we'd still need to draft 3-4 DE depth, but if we were able to sign NT Harrison as our one big FA acquisition, then we could focus on DL depth in round 4 or 7 instead of looking for a DL starter in round 1 or 2.
    I'd have no problem with a signing like that.Upgrading your pass rush makes all four of your DBs better. QB has less time to throw, less likely to feel comfortable, less accurate. Also less need for DBs to be involved in the pass rush and allows LBs to drop back into coverage more if the front can get to the QB with a 4 man rush.