Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SKL Mock #1

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

SKL Mock #1

First off it's good to get back on the board and see a few familiar names. Per my usual it seems I spend more time here in the offseason. Wish we still had one more game to play. Lets get down to the brass tacks. This mock as usual is not necessarily what I think Kevin Colbert will do, but what I would do if I were him. First off.....I think the talent at the back end of this years first round screams trade down. With that I'd like to trade out of the first round with a team in the top 5 of round 2 (Dallas and Tenn would be strong considerations), picking up an extra 3rd rounder in the process. This gives us 4 picks in the top 100. Here we go.

2a) Kendall Fuller-CB-VaTech-Obvious talent meets need value. A strong CB class and a meniscus lets Fuller drop into the top of the second round.
    2b) Vernon Butler-DT-LaTech-The DL needs some help. Butler is a disruptive force who could be a rotational player from week 1 and a starter by week 8
    3a) Karl Joseph-S-WVU-This kid is one of my favorite players in the draft. Would have been the first Safety picked before he got hurt. Ryan Clark 2.0
    3b) Zack Sanchez-CB-Oklahoma-He is a bit on the light side but has a nose for the football and is so gritty. The secondary transformation continues.
    4) Cody Kessler-QB-USC-Obvious need to get a kid to develop behind Ben. Landry is not the answer. Kessler could be a McCarron type QB for us.
    7) Mike Mathews-C-TAMU-Bloodlines
    7) Riley Dixon-P-Syracuse-Please....no more Berry

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Honestly that is a sweet mock! I'd be all for moving out of the first.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    First off it's good to get back on the board and see a few familiar names. Per my usual it seems I spend more time here in the offseason. Wish we still had one more game to play. Lets get down to the brass tacks. This mock as usual is not necessarily what I think Kevin Colbert will do, but what I would do if I were him. First off.....I think the talent at the back end of this years first round screams trade down. With that I'd like to trade out of the first round with a team in the top 5 of round 2 (Dallas and Tenn would be strong considerations), picking up an extra 3rd rounder in the process. This gives us 4 picks in the top 100. Here we go.

2a) Kendall Fuller-CB-VaTech-Obvious talent meets need value. A strong CB class and a meniscus lets Fuller drop into the top of the second round.
    2b) Vernon Butler-DT-LaTech-The DL needs some help. Butler is a disruptive force who could be a rotational player from week 1 and a starter by week 8
    3a) Karl Joseph-S-WVU-This kid is one of my favorite players in the draft. Would have been the first Safety picked before he got hurt. Ryan Clark 2.0
    3b) Zack Sanchez-CB-Oklahoma-He is a bit on the light side but has a nose for the football and is so gritty. The secondary transformation continues.
    4) Cody Kessler-QB-USC-Obvious need to get a kid to develop behind Ben. Landry is not the answer. Kessler could be a McCarron type QB for us.
    7) Mike Mathews-C-TAMU-Bloodlines
    7) Riley Dixon-P-Syracuse-Please....no more Berry
    Maybe the numbers tell a different story, but I thought Berry was having a good year except for the last game and he is young.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many times have we traded down in the first round?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I can't recall trading out of the first, but we have in the second round, so never know.

Slap, nice early mock....

Fuller sounds very, very interesting and worthy of our top choice.
    I have been hearing a lot of positives on how Butler, but is his height scares me, and is 2nd too high for a future rotation player? Would a Safety or OL be of better value?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Santonio Holmes

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Santonio Holmes
    SKL, good to see you back.

On Holmes, the Steelers actually moved up few spots to grab him. I generally like your mock, but I wonder if you can still get Fuller if you move down. Especially with the Ravens, with their awful secondary, picking in the top 5 picks.

Starter

User Info Menu

I like getting more picks, but the CB talent after Fuller and Apple drops off dramatically. Trading down may take away that opportunity land either one of them. That said, if your draft played out, it's sweet! Sanchez is a next tier talent for CB, so that's a good pick, and I love picking anyone from the Matthews family. Nice draft.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    SKL, good to see you back.

On Holmes, the Steelers actually moved up few spots to grab him. I generally like your mock, but I wonder if you can still get Fuller if you move down. Especially with the Ravens, with their awful secondary, picking in the top 5 picks.
    Thx philly ....yes you are correct....Casey Hampton I believe was the last trade down in the first. A handful of other trade downs in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds in the Colbert era. Like I said. This is just how I would approach it. Unfortunately we don't seem to do a great job drafting DB talent so we may need to take a couple. Butler may be a riser as the process unfolds so we will see. I'm sure there will be a handful of revisions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Local paper identified the following who excelled

[url]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-the-10-players-who-helped-themselves-the-most-at-the-senior-bowl-20160130-photogallery.html[/url]

Southeastern La CB Harlan Miller could be mid rounder
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"