Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: RuthlessBurgher's Initial Offseason Mock Draft 1.0 prior to the Senior Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Ruthless 3 injured players of the top 4. High reward but high risk to say the least. Doesn't mean it can't work but someone is getting fired if it didn't.
    If completely healthy, I could see Jaylon Smith coming off the board in the neighborhood of #5, Kendall Fuller around #15, and Karl Joseph about #25 or so.

And because of the extraordinary depth at DT this year, Austin Johnson will likely come off the board in round 2 even though he might have come off the board late in round 1 in most other drafts that aren't so DT-heavy. So, that's a lot of value there.

I think Fuller and Joseph will both be good to go by training camp (the fact that they aren't now is only making them better values in my mind...don't see either as a long-term injury risk...of course, team doctors obviously know way more that I do).

I acknowledge that Jaylon Smith will likely need at least one full medical redshirt year, and may never be the same player again, but at that point in the draft, it's a risk I'd be willing to take (especially if I was able to get an extra day two pick via trade down).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If completely healthy, I could see Jaylon Smith coming off the board in the neighborhood of #5, Kendall Fuller around #15, and Karl Joseph about #25 or so.

And because of the extraordinary depth at DT this year, Austin Johnson will likely come off the board in round 2 even though he might have come off the board late in round 1 in most other drafts that aren't so DT-heavy. So, that's a lot of value there.

I think Fuller and Joseph will both be good to go by training camp (the fact that they aren't now is only making them better values in my mind...don't see either as a long-term injury risk...of course, team doctors obviously know way more that I do).

I acknowledge that Jaylon Smith will likely need at least one full medical redshirt year, and may never be the same player again, but at that point in the draft, it's a risk I'd be willing to take (especially if I was able to get an extra day two pick via trade down).
    Didn't say I didn't like it. You could hit it out of the park with that group.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Ruthless 3 injured players of the top 4. High reward but high risk to say the least. Doesn't mean it can't work but someone is getting fired if it didn't.
    Report: Jaylon Smith not expected to play at all in 2016
    Posted by Darin Gantt on April 15, 2016, 1:03 PM EDT

Jaylon Smith thinks he’s going to be the best player in this draft, but it’s going to take him longer to start proving that.

Smith went through the medical re-check in Indianapolis this week and teams are reviewing his file, but the news apparently was not good.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Notre Dame linebacker is not expected to play in 2016. The expectation is that he’ll be ready for the 2017 season, after he’s recovered from his Fiesta Bowl knee injury.

Smith tore his ACL and MCL in his final game, which will knock him from the high reaches of the first round.

Now the question becomes which team is willing to roll the dice on his recovery, and when. A good team with depth could afford to wait on him, but not many teams are able or willing to take a redshirt player.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/15/report-jaylon-smith-not-expected-to-play-at-all-in-2016/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Jaylon Smith not expected to play at all in 2016
    Posted by Darin Gantt on April 15, 2016, 1:03 PM EDT

Jaylon Smith thinks he’s going to be the best player in this draft, but it’s going to take him longer to start proving that.

Smith went through the medical re-check in Indianapolis this week and teams are reviewing his file, but the news apparently was not good.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Notre Dame linebacker is not expected to play in 2016. The expectation is that he’ll be ready for the 2017 season, after he’s recovered from his Fiesta Bowl knee injury.

Smith tore his ACL and MCL in his final game, which will knock him from the high reaches of the first round.

Now the question becomes which team is willing to roll the dice on his recovery, and when. A good team with depth could afford to wait on him, but not many teams are able or willing to take a redshirt player.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/15/report-jaylon-smith-not-expected-to-play-at-all-in-2016/[/URL]
    To use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on Smith IMO you need to have a very high level of confidence he is going to be a Pro Bowl player because the risk level is so high that he can ever be the player the was a ND

I think you see him dropping because the med evals are probably indicating some nerve damage
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

By Josh Alper
    April 17, 2016, 7:36 AM EDT
    Report: Kendall Fuller gets good news at medical recheck

Virginia Tech cornerback Kendall Fuller was one of the 2016 draft prospects to head back to Indianapolis last week for rechecks on issues from their medical exams at the Scouting Combine.

Fuller tore the meniscus in his right knee last season and had microfracture surgery as part of the repair process. The injury wiped out most of his final season in Blacksburg, although it didn’t stop him from declaring for the draft with a year of eligibility remaining.

It doesn’t look like the injury will stop him from contributing as a rookie. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the expectation is that Fuller will be ready for training camp after having the knee re-examined and that there’s a chance he’ll be able to participate in minicamp as well. The general consensus among draft pundits has been that Fuller will be a second day pick.

When Fuller does get on the field, he’ll join brothers Vincent, Corey and Kyle as NFL players. The Fullers will be the second or third family with four brothers to make it to the NFL — Ross, Jim, Joey and Keith Browner were the first — as Glenn Gronkowski is also trying to extend his family’s place in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

2.45 CB Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech 5'11" 187
    2.58 DT Austin Johnson, Penn State 6'4" 314
    3.64 SS Karl Joseph, West Virginia 5'10" 205
    3.89 LB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame 6'2" 223
    I'm DeVille and I approve this draft. (well, those 1st four picks, anyway).

Would be AMAZING.

7.229 LB Ian Seau, Nevada 6'2" 259
    worth a flier... decent pass rusher...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

1.25 CB Eli Apple, Ohio State 6'1" 199
    2.58 DT Austin Johnson, Penn State 6'4" 314
    3.89 SS Karl Joseph, West Virginia 5'10" 205
    4.123 LB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame 6'2" 223
    6.220 WR Mike Thomas, Southern Mississippi 6'1" 197
    7.229 LB Ian Seau, Nevada 6'2" 259
    7.246 DE Delvon Simmons, Southern California 6'5" 295
    I'd wet my pants if we got those first three picks there RB. However, I highly doubt we get Joseph in the 3rd. We may be able to get KJ Dillon there though....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    I'd wet my pants if we got those first three picks there RB. However, I highly doubt we get Joseph in the 3rd. We may be able to get KJ Dillon there though....
    My current sig mock still has us taking Joseph in the 3rd, but it's with the first pick in the 3rd round from Tennessee #64 overall in a trade down scenario rather than with our late 3rd round pick down at #89. Just thinking that he might drop a bit due to injury and other similarly ranked safeties that might go earlier in the 2nd who aren't injured. We'll see.

Legend

User Info Menu

My current sig mock still has us taking Joseph in the 3rd, but it's with the first pick in the 3rd round from Tennessee #64 overall in a trade down scenario rather than with our late 3rd round pick down at #89. Just thinking that he might drop a bit due to injury and other similarly ranked safeties that might go earlier in the 2nd who aren't injured. We'll see.
    Roger that, but I'd gladly take him in R1 or R2.....

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Roger that, but I'd gladly take him in R1 or R2.....

Our second round pick at #58 is only 6 slots ahead of where I projected him at the top of the third round at pick #64, so I would be awfully satisfied if we are able to land Joseph at 2.58. But I don't want any safeties in round 1 (after Jalen Ramsey, who will be off the board in the top 5 overall picks, of course).

There are so many solid day 2 safeties that we have shown interest in (Karl Joseph, Vonn Bell, Keanu Neal, or Jeremy Cash in round 2 and Darian Thompson or T.J. Green in round 3...we hosted all of those guys on official visits to team HQ). Unless the team views one of these guys as Troy Polamalu caliber and the rest of them as Mike Doss caliber, I would prefer that we use our top pick on a CB or DT and wait for a day two safety.