Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Jarvis Jones?

Legend

User Info Menu

What to do with Jarvis Jones?

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9839723-74/jones-season-steelers#axzz3xvxcLhmE[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

If they knew he would continue to play like he did in these last two games, I think it would make their decision much easier.

Starter

User Info Menu

i wouldn't extend him. i would just let him play out the coming season and see if he improves and go from there. so far he's been a BUM.. 2 sacks?? pathetic... DUPREE has outplayed him already..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Rookie

User Info Menu

It seems like a no brainer...

Pick up the 5th year option...apparently, it costs nothing in 2016 and can be rescinded without penalty prior to the 2017 season...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless he gets close to double digit sacks (8+) next year don't waste anymore money on him because we will have to draft someone who can perform at OLB anyway. Like I have said for three years: great high motor but he doesn't have the ability or explosiveness to beat or even challenge a Left Tackle on a regular basis like a ROLB should. Hopefully even his fan club can see he won't ever be a consistent producer rushing the QB which, no matter how much revisionist history is engaged in, is what he was drafted to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    i wouldn't extend him. i would just let him play out the coming season and see if he improves and go from there. so far he's been a BUM.. 2 sacks?? pathetic... DUPREE has outplayed him already..
    Exactly. Sorry that I can't get excited over a number one draft pick guy that only has 5 sacks in 36 games. He's a bust in my opinion. Despite his sacks or how ever you like to judge a guy he shows very little. For a guy wearing Greg Llyods number you think that alone would make him standout. And it doesn't.
    Last edited by fezziwig; 01-25-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Exactly. Sorry that I can't get excited over a number draft pick guy that only has 5 sacks in 36 games. He's a bust in my opinion. Despite his sacks or how ever you like to judge a guy he shows very little. For a guy wearing Greg Llyods number you think that alone would make him standout. And it doesn't.
    Yea, but, not picking up the 5th year seems like a dumb idea, because if he doesn't have a good year next year, you cut him and move with minimal affect on the cap. If he has a great year, then you have him for the 5th year and you negotiate a contract. Releasing him now makes no sense, IMO, he's part of the rotation and has some experience, I have a feeling 1.25 might be an OLB if available.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yea, but, not picking up the 5th year seems like a dumb idea, because if he doesn't have a good year next year, you cut him and move with minimal affect on the cap. If he has a great year, then you have him for the 5th year and you negotiate a contract. Releasing him now makes no sense, IMO, he's part of the rotation and has some experience, I have a feeling 1.25 might be an OLB if available.

Pappy
    Yes, you are right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Unless he gets close to double digit sacks (8+) next year don't waste anymore money on him because we will have to draft someone who can perform at OLB anyway. Like I have said for three years: great high motor but he doesn't have the ability or explosiveness to beat or even challenge a Left Tackle on a regular basis like a ROLB should. Hopefully even his fan club can see he won't ever be a consistent producer rushing the QB which, no matter how much revisionist history is engaged in, is what he was drafted to do.
    What if we moved to your beloved 4-3 and made Jarvis a traditional SAM backer instead of an edge rusher? Timmons would be your MIKE backer and Shazier your WILL backer. Put Bud Dupree's hand on the ground and make him your weakside DE, Cam Heyward your strongside DE, Tuitt your 3-technique DT, and McLendon your 1-technique NT. Would your opinion of Jarvis change? Just curious...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    I think you are dead on. There is almost no downside to picking up the option since you can essentially rescind it without penalty. Pick up the option now, and if Jones plays like he did the last two games, great. If not, you terminate the option and try to resign him to a Moats like contract.