Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Tomlin not confident in Cortez Allen's future and other articles

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Tomlin not confident in Cortez Allen's future and other articles

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen has been a complete bust since signing a $24 million extension in 2014. Head coach Mike Tomlin conceded Wednesday that even he isn't sure Allen can ever make an impact, let alone live up to his contract.

Allen's 2015 season last just one game due to a knee injury. In 2014, he began the season as a starter but was benched midway through the season. Tomlin, who doesn't usually get too specific when it comes to player evaluations, was blunt in his four-word answer when asked Wednesday if he's confident in Allen's ability to become an impact player.

"I'm not. We'll see," Tomlin said via Steelers.com. Scroll ahead to the 11-minute mark to see the video.

The Steelers can save $4.4 million against the cap if they release Allen after June 1. Unless he has a remarkable offseason, Allen may be as good as gone.

-----------------–------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell, Shazier among six Steelers set for surgery

If the Pittsburgh Steelers were playing in the AFC Championship game this week, they would be a battered bunch. Head coach Mike Tomlin revealed Wednesday that six players, and possibly more, are facing offseason surgery.

Safety Mike Mitchell is scheduled to get his left shoulder "cleaned up" next week, according to Tomlin, keeping him on the shelf for four months. Mitchell had been dealing with pain in his shoulder for a number of weeks, and was forced to wear a harness in the divisional round loss to the Broncos that prevented him from lifting his arm above his head, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Punter Jordan Berry will undergo surgery on his right shoulder after getting injured in Denver. He is also looking at a four-month recovery, Tomlin said. Linebacker Ryan Shazier and tight end Matt Spaeth will be getting arthroscopic knee surgery, while offensive linemen David DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert will have their ankles scoped.

Tomlin sais that he's gotten positive reports on the team's other injured players such as Le'Veon Bell, Kelvin Beachum and Maurkice Pouncey, but added that more players may face additional treatment.

"There are still more MRIs and medical evaluations that need to be done," Tomlin said. "Maybe that list grows, but that’s a pretty comprehensive list."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Report: Steelers WR Antonio Brown to skip Pro Bowl

receiver Antonio Brown will not make the trip to Hawaii to play in this year's Pro Bowl, according to multiple reports.

Brown will be replaced by Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry.

The news begs the question of whether Brown would have been able to play this Sunday if the Steelers had advanced to the AFC Championship game against New England. Unfortunately for Steelers fans, that point is now moot, but they won't be able to watch Brown at the league's All-Star game on Jan. 31.

Brown was not cleared from the league's concussion protocol to play in the divisional round against Denver. If Brown's absence is due to the lingering effects of the concussion, he likely would have been sitting again this week.

[url]http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-pro-bowl-concussion-012016[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

yet he ran lewis out of town and offered all that money to allen, strange
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Yet he ran Wallace out of town and kept some dude Brown!

Legend

User Info Menu

Reports said Lewis was going to NO regardless but I agree, I didnt like how that played out.

I never saw why we offered Core0tez all that money
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Cortez showed some ability and promise in 2013. Whether it was $24 million worth is certainly debatable, but that's presumably the reason they extended him. Every contract extension is a gamble to some degree, and this one so far has not worked out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Cortez showed some ability and promise in 2013. Whether it was $24 million worth is certainly debatable, but that's presumably the reason they extended him. Every contract extension is a gamble to some degree, and this one so far has not worked out.
    Yeah, I dot think he showed 24 mill worth. Its like we had to sign someone to make it look like we were investing in the DB's.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Reports said Lewis was going to NO regardless but I agree, I didnt like how that played out.

I never saw why we offered Core0tez all that money

actually the word was tomlin didnt like him and kinda forced his move to NO

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Yet he ran Wallace out of town and kept some dude Brown!

you are totally wrong.
    actually tomlin liked him so much that he asked colbert to try to make it happen. brown was the consolation prize from that not working. if it had, brown would be on another team now.

Legend

User Info Menu

actually the word was tomlin didnt like him and kinda forced his move to NO
    No, I posted articles that stated Lewis wanted to play for N.O. and no one else.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

you are totally wrong.
    actually tomlin liked him so much that he asked colbert to try to make it happen. brown was the consolation prize from that not working. if it had, brown would be on another team now.
    Tomlin referred to Wallace as a "one trick pony"...what's not to love?
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S