Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Take On That 4th and 1 in 1st Qtr

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting Take On That 4th and 1 in 1st Qtr

I was just listening to Ben's radio show on 93.7 The Fan and they asked him about the 4th and 1 play.

Ben said that Jesse James lined up in the backfield and was actually the #1 read on the play and was to go to him out of the backfield, however, he was covered, so Ben went to his #2 option Wheaton deep. Wheaton was in a one on one and Ben thought he was open with the defender's back to him, so that's where he went as he was getting pressure. He thought Wheaton should've made the play.

When asked about Heath being wide open on the play, Ben says he saw he was coming open but because of the pressure, he went with his #2 immediately to avoid a sack.

Would like to actually see this replay.....

So, if anyone was wondering, there's the explanation from the QB. He also said he wasn't in on any decisions on FG attempts.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

He might have been open for a moment but he wasn't by the time the ball got there. Talib is on him like a blanket with his hands on the ball. I haven't read anywhere (other than Ben saying he should have caught it) that it was a drop. It was a pass break-up by a CB in good coverage.

Starter

User Info Menu

Thank you for this information, pfelix73.

Legend

User Info Menu

not sure why people were calling it a drop... and I think Ben had time to hit Heath.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    not sure why people were calling it a drop... and I think Ben had time to hit Heath.
    Cook said that too, after the interview, and then just chalked it up to us being able to see all that better up top in press box, or on TV and not in the moment on the field. So, anyway. With James being the primary target and Wheaton the #2, Ben felt he had to get rid of the ball...He also said, on those one on ones, they (Steelers coaches, etc.) consider that a winnable situation and they will take that chance. Ben saw the defender's back to Wheaton, so he went there. I'll chalk it up as a bad play called by OC there. I mean Jesse James the primary target on a 4th and 1? Why not Heath?
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

He might have been open for a moment but he wasn't by the time the ball got there. Talib is on him like a blanket with his hands on the ball. I haven't read anywhere (other than Ben saying he should have caught it) that it was a drop. It was a pass break-up by a CB in good coverage.

After seeing these photos, why no flag? he's not looking back at ball, and he's all over him.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Valid question regarding PI. I tried but couldn't find an actual clip of the play. Pics were the best I could find on short notice. I'd like to see the whole play again from the snap. Will say, I don't recall thinking at the time that Ben was in danger of getting sacked if he didn't get rid of it immediately. And even if it was an uncalled PI; that's still not a drop. Kind of crappy of Ben to phrase it that way. He could have thrown it deeper to ensure it was past the CB.

The Steelers were the most successful team in the NFL on 2 pt conversions this season by a lot. Why not use one of those plays to get the 1 yard?

Legend

User Info Menu

Valid question regarding PI. I tried but couldn't find an actual clip of the play. Pics were the best I could find on short notice. I'd like to see the whole play again from the snap. Will say, I don't recall thinking at the time that Ben was in danger of getting sacked if he didn't get rid of it immediately. And even if it was an uncalled PI; that's still not a drop. Kind of crappy of Ben to phrase it that way. He could have thrown it deeper to ensure it was past the CB.

The Steelers were the most successful team in the NFL on 2 pt conversions this season by a lot. Why not use one of those plays to get the 1 yard?
    one of Ben's biggest problems this year IMO. Too many times a WR was behind his man and the ball was underthrown
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great question. I can remember many 4th and 1's, crucial 3rd and shorts that didn't work out and thinking the same about all those successful 2 pt. conversions.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    After seeing these photos, why no flag? he's not looking back at ball, and he's all over him.
    I said that and was pissed when it went down....
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S