Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two point conversion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Well, if you want to go by math...

XPs were converted at a 94% rate this year...

2 pt tries were converted at a 47% rate this year...

Therefore, 100 attempts of each would yield 94 points...

The Steelers converted a record number of 2 pt tries this year at a 72.7%...we made only 90.6% of our extra point tries...

Therefore, 100 2 point tries would yield 144-146 points while 100 XPs would yield 90-91 points...
    Slappy---you're the man!!!!

I wonder if our proficiency with two point conversions may be our secret weapon in the play offs????????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer View Post
    Taking unnecessary risks is bad. This simple life lesson also applies to football.
    Depends on your definition of a "risk"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers converted a record number of 2 pt tries this year at a 72.7%...we made only 90.6% of our extra point tries...

Therefore, 100 2 point tries would yield 144-146 points while 100 XPs would yield 90-91 points...
    Well, what this means is that Mike Tomlin took a 47% chance (failing on the 2 pt conversion) of keeping the Browns within a TD and a FG rather than 94% chance of forcing them to need two TDs. Why? Forcing a team to have to score 2 TDs is better than them needing a TD and FG. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense today, of course, they were successful, so the Browns needed 2 TDs which they would have needed had he allowed Boswell to take the 94% probability XP.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Depends on your definition of a "risk"
    Actually, it depends entirely upon the term "unnecessary." There are times, mathematically, when it makes sense to go for two. All other times you go for one. It is simple. People who don't understand it are wrong.

I realize that's some tough medicine for some to take, but I don't have a lot of patience for this nonesene and nor should the Rooneys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Taking unnecessary risks is bad. This simple life lesson also applies to football.
    not really...

down by 1 with 5 minutes less it's probably a good idea to tie the game but once you are in rhythm or if we score first I say try for 2.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Forcing a team to have to score 2 TDs is better than them needing a TD and FG. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense today, of course, they were successful, so the Browns needed 2 TDs which they would have needed had he allowed Boswell to take the 94% probability XP.

Pappy
    Right. But even the numbers he is using are hopelessly flawed. A % derived from a season average is not very useful against a specific team in the playoffs at a specific point in the game involving specific players and different coaches.

In short, your "chances" of a successful 2 point conversion against the Browns in a rout last night has no applicability in the 1st quarter of a playoff game against the Bengals. A season average of all 2 point conversions may give you a more generic figure, but that number means nothing against a Patriots in third quarter, in Foxborough.

The only math that should be factored into the equation is whether the Steelers should go for two based on the score on the scoreboard.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I don't see why a 2-pt conversion try against Cleveland was so risky.
    It wasn't "so risky." It was just an unnecessary one. Sooner or later that sort of thing will cost the Steelers. Much like unnecessary dancing around in the end zone like little children draws unnecessary penalties that can and eventually will effect a game. I will give Tomlin props on apparently doing something about the jackass celebrations. I didn't see any yesterday that were beyond the normal sort of thing that is safe and reasonable by today's standards.

Legend

User Info Menu

I came her to discuss football and math-nerd fight broke out...

Legend

User Info Menu

It wasn't "so risky." It was just an unnecessary one. Sooner or later that sort of thing will cost the Steelers. Much like unnecessary dancing around in the end zone like little children draws unnecessary penalties that can and eventually will effect a game. I will give Tomlin props on apparently doing something about the jackass celebrations. I didn't see any yesterday that were beyond the normal sort of thing that is safe and reasonable by today's standards.
    LOL... if AB scores a long TD or Gay returns a pick 6 best believe they will celebrate. You and a few geezers will be mad while the rest of Steeler Nation celebrates.

..and best believe if we route the Bungles we will dance even harder than usual on the last TD and may get a penalty and you will be upset and use it as proof that Tomlin lost the team or it will cost us next game.

eventually
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Those stats are all well and good if you are talking about going for 2 in the general sense. But as many have pointed out already in this thread, in that specific situation, there was less to be gained by going for 2 but more to be lost.