Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' ultimate equalizer: Launching deep balls without a care

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' ultimate equalizer: Launching deep balls without a care

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Mark it in your scouting report, Colts.

The Steelers are going deep on you. Often. Book it.

And they'll do it simply because they feel like it. When asking receiver Markus Wheaton what factors trigger the decision to throw deep passes, Wheaton shrugs and says, "I just think (Ben Roethlisberger) really likes doing it."

It's already established that Roethlisberger throws a nice deep ball compared to his peers. Couple that with a lethal group of receivers with several deep threats and the Steelers simply can't help themselves.

This is the NFL version of the 1987 Providence basketball team.

The stats are revealing. In seven games, Roethlisberger has completed a league-high 14 completions on passes thrown at least 30 yards downfield. In the last decade, Peyton Manning holds the record with 16.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throws a pretty deep ball. AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar
    Three of those completions came Sunday in Seattle, where the Steelers tested the Seahawks' vaunted secondary seven times and connected on three of them, including twice to Wheaton on his 201-yard day. The three completions of at least 30 yards are the most Seattle's allowed since 2008 against the Cardinals.

This is not what Colts coach Chuck Pagano wants to hear after Roethlisberger's 522-yard, six-touchdown game against the Colts last year.

"If we don’t [make changes], we’re going to be barking up the same tree again," Pagano said.

Two primary factors fuel the Steelers' affinity for the deep ball, and defensive scheme isn't one of them. Sometimes coverage dictates when to launch, but the Seahawks tried to take the sideline away and Roethlisberger still tested them over and over.

Primarily, the playmaking receivers make the attempts enticing. The Steelers have three receivers with at least 470 receiving yards. including arguably the game's best in Antonio Brown. At 6-foot-4 with a 40-yard-dash time of less than 4.4 seconds, Martavis Bryant is a natural target down the sideline.

"We’ve got a lot of guys capable of making big plays," Brown said. "We’ve got a big-time quarterback that spreads the ball pretty good. The linemen are doing a good job taking care of him, and receivers will reap a lot of good benefits from it."

Also, Roethlisberger's touch on the deep pass, particularly with arc, helps receivers get underneath the ball. For Brown, he knows the ball's coming in accurately and on the outside shoulder.

"He puts good air on it, too," Wheaton said. "He helps the receiver time it and get to it."

Every good quarterback has at least one quality unique to them. The deep ball is on Roethlisberger's list.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/86812/steelers-ultimate-equalizer-launching-deep-balls-without-a-care[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    This is the NFL version of the 1987 Providence basketball team.
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, since I am clueless about college basketball history.

But I think the Colts can be had on the ground this week. Sure, we'll air it out some as well but I expect a much larger dose of DeAngelo vs. Indy this week as compared to Seattle last week.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, since I am clueless about college basketball history.

But I think the Colts can be had on the ground this week. Sure, we'll air it out some as well but I expect a much larger dose of DeAngelo vs. Indy this week as compared to Seattle last week.

Providence shot a lot of 3 pointers (first year with the 3 point line) and made it to the Final Four
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

"Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?"

"Because it's there." – George Mallory, 1923

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Providence shot a lot of 3 pointers (first year with the 3 point line) and made it to the Final Four
    was Rick Pitino's intro to prime time. He quickly adopted the 3-point line, and his star player (Billy Donovan, presently Florida's coach) rose to fame rather rapidly.

Having said that, it's kinda silly to think they'd do that NOW. They fired a guy who liked to do that and instead, hired a guy whose job was to keep Ben upright with lots of quick passes. Meanwhile, that other guy has Carson Palmer looking like a star - imagine what he could have done with Ben...

Heck, I'm thinking they'd still have Mike Wallace -- who was a one-trick pony, but, that one trick was unstoppable -- had Haley not taken his one trick away.

But, I digress...

Deep passes? WHY? Who authorized that? LOL
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Rookie

User Info Menu

The trick is not relying only on the deep pass, but spreading the ball around...

Say what you will, but since Haley has taken over, the attempts, passing yards, TD% have all gone up while the sack rate has gone down...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The trick is not relying only on the deep pass, but spreading the ball around...

Say what you will, but since Haley has taken over, the attempts, passing yards, TD% have all gone up while the sack rate has gone down...
    But he has been injured a ton and we havent sniffed a playoff win...

Its kind of sad how people keep talking about Bens yards and prolific offense that cant win a playoff game yet when he was getting killed and going to superbowls fans were angry at the OC.

When Ben was a "game manager" fans were upset because werent passing on every down like the *'s.

Say what you want about BA's offenses but everywhere he goes the QB puts up numbers and they make the playoffs.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    was Rick Pitino's intro to prime time. He quickly adopted the 3-point line, and his star player (Billy Donovan, presently Florida's coach) rose to fame rather rapidly.

Having said that, it's kinda silly to think they'd do that NOW. They fired a guy who liked to do that and instead, hired a guy whose job was to keep Ben upright with lots of quick passes. Meanwhile, that other guy has Carson Palmer looking like a star - imagine what he could have done with Ben...

Heck, I'm thinking they'd still have Mike Wallace -- who was a one-trick pony, but, that one trick was unstoppable -- had Haley not taken his one trick away.

But, I digress...

Deep passes? WHY? Who authorized that? LOL
    Yeah, more than likely Wallace and Brown or Sanders stays on the team with BA. They loved his vertical philosophy.

Sadly, we now have fans who brag about having a top 5 offense who cant win a playoff game...

A lot of these fans were angry when we were winning playoff games because BA was going to get Ben killed...

Sure seems like he has been killed a ton the last few seasons though.

I bet we also wouldnt see these stupid trick plays with BA as well.

Oh well, at last we have a top 5 offense to brag about.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Don't be silly. There were plenty of failed trick plays with Arians! If we had the same top 5 defense that we had with Arians, we'd be winning playoff games. The Steelers didn't contend because of Arians' offenses, though, honestly, I didn't hate him while he was here...

But, this year, if we're going to the playoffs, we'll need the offense to shoulder the burden. I feel like they could now and I never felt that way with Arians...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JethroSnell View Post
    So have the losses, Ben games missed, and the number of irrelevant, garbage time stats that Ben has compiled in garbage time.

I try to stay away. I also tried to make nice this week due to some "perspective", but when you post tripe like this? If no one else will? I'll refute it.
    You try to stay away? Possibly the biggest lie ever told on this board...