Legend

User Info Menu

#&@%!!!! Maurkice Pouncey has setback, more surgery coming

Maurkice Pouncey has setback, more surgery coming

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: Oct. 15, 2015 at 01:26 p.m.
    Updated: Oct. 15, 2015 at 01:33 p.m.

Maurkice Pouncey remains far off from a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported Thursday that Pouncey is experiencing complications from his ankle injury and is expected to undergo a second surgery, according to sources briefed of the injury.

The setback has prompted fears that Pouncey will miss more of the season than initially anticipated.

Pouncey suffered a broken bone in his ankle in a preseason game on Aug. 23. He underwent surgery to repair the break and was placed on injured reserve with the designated to return tag on Sept. 6.

Under league rules, Pouncey is eligible to return to practice after spending at least six weeks on the team's reserve/injured list. The earliest Pouncey could return to game action is Week 9 against the Raiders.

Pouncey has been missed in the Pittsburgh lineup. His replacement, Cody Wallace, has has graded out as one of the league's worst centers through five weeks, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000557538/article/maurkice-pouncey-has-setback-more-surgery-coming"]
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000557538/article/maurkice-pouncey-has-setback-more-surgery-coming[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

"Pouncey has been missed in the Pittsburgh lineup. His replacement, Cody Wallace, has has graded out as one of the league's worst centers through five weeks, according to ProFootballFocus.com."

I really hadn't noticed that Wallace was God-awful. I actually thought that he was a serviceable center for the time being.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    "Pouncey has been missed in the Pittsburgh lineup. His replacement, Cody Wallace, has has graded out as one of the league's worst centers through five weeks, according to ProFootballFocus.com."

I really hadn't noticed that Wallace was God-awful. I actually thought that he was a serviceable center for the time being.
    When our frame of reference for awful center play is Sean Mahan, then Cody Wallace would have to do something like turn around and hike the ball toward the defense for us to consider his performance to be awful by comparison.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ed Bouchette Twitter:

Steelers All-Pro C Maurkice Pouncey likely to miss rest of the season after second ankle surgery bec infection set in. On short-term IR now
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Ed Bouchette Twitter:

Steelers All-Pro C Maurkice Pouncey likely to miss rest of the season after second ankle surgery bec infection set in. On short-term IR now
    Infections are nothing to be trifled with...Giants TE Daniel Fells has required 5 surgeries so far and might require a foot amputation to help combat a staph infection.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Infections are nothing to be trifled with...Giants TE Daniel Fells has required 5 surgeries so far and might require a foot amputation to help combat a staph infection.
    A staph infection pretty much ended LeCharles Bentley's career...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Staph - isn't that ultimately what derailed Greg Lloyd?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wasn't counting on Pouncey being effective even if he had suited up this year. Now I'm starting to wonder about next year and beyond. The guy has had such rotten lousy luck. In 2013, DeCastro takes him out with a cut block from behind; 350 pounds of Flozell falls on his ankle in the 2010 AFCC game, and another guy falls on his ankle in a preseason game this year when he shouldn't have even been on the field. And, IIRC, all three injuries occurred just as the whistle blew or after the play was over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    I wasn't counting on Pouncey being effective even if he had suited up this year. Now I'm starting to wonder about next year and beyond. The guy has had such rotten lousy luck. In 2013, DeCastro takes him out with a cut block from behind; 350 pounds of Flozell falls on his ankle in the 2010 AFCC game, and another guy falls on his ankle in a preseason game this year when he shouldn't have even been on the field. And, IIRC, all three injuries occurred just as the whistle blew or after the play was over.
    I know 'injury prone' is controversial. Some guys just seem to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time more than others.
    A buddy of mine is a typical case, we talk about how he has a black cloud following him every where... even he jokes about it for the stuff in gets into.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When our frame of reference for awful center play is Sean Mahan, then Cody Wallace would have to do something like turn around and hike the ball toward the defense for us to consider his performance to be awful by comparison.
    I LoL'd for real
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!