Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign a new kicker

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers sign a new kicker

Steelers change kickers: Josh Scobee out, Chris Boswell in

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 3, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT

After two missed field goals in the fourth quarter led to an overtime loss on Thursday night, the Steelers are making a change at kicker.

Chris Boswell tried out for the Steelers and will sign, Adam Caplan of ESPN reports. That means Josh Scobee, who has gone just 3-for-7 on field goals beyond 40 yards this season, is on the way out.

The Steelers have had a tough time finding a kicker who can last this year. Kickers Shaun Suisham and Garrett Hartley are both on injured reserve.

After going undrafted out of Rice last year, Boswell spent time under contract to both the Texans and Giants but has never played in a regular-season game. The Steelers have to hope he’s ready to go, and to kick well. Or at least kick better than Scobee.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/03/steelers-change-kickers-josh-scobee-out-chris-boswell-in/[/url]
    If I spell a word incorrectly or make a grammar mistake, I apologize. English is not my native language.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's see how this guy turns out. Can't be any worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Had to be done. Not just because you can't be afraid to use your kicker but the Coaches needed to show that ineptitude and job failure are not acceptable.

Legend

User Info Menu

sure was good idea to have only 1 kicker in camp and kick in meaningless pre season games eh?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Rookie

User Info Menu

They did bring in another kicker: Hartley. Then he got hurt. Should they have brought in 4 or 5 guys?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Let's see how this guy turns out. Can't be any worse.
    Scobee might be both the worst acquisition of Colbert's career and worst kicker in Steelers history. What a disaster. I really can't see anyone ever being worse

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like Boswell can punt, too. According to Wikipedia, he filled in for the Texans punter for a short time last year, punting 15 times, averaging 44 yards and putting it inside the 20 six times. Could the Steelers be looking to save a roster spot by having Boswell do double duty?

Got to find some way to keep Dri Archer on the roster, I suppose.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 10-03-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7upnext View Post
    Scobee might be both the worst acquisition of Colbert's career and worst kicker in Steelers history. What a disaster. I really can't see anyone ever being worse
    clearly didn't work out - but I won't second guess Colbert's decision. Scobee had a productive and consistent career in Jax.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    They did bring in another kicker: Hartley. Then he got hurt. Should they have brought in 4 or 5 guys?

my mistake, i didnt realize hartley was in training camp all year, i thought he was brought in after the injury to suisham
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brazilsteel View Post
    Steelers change kickers: Josh Scobee out, Chris Boswell in

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 3, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT

After two missed field goals in the fourth quarter led to an overtime loss on Thursday night, the Steelers are making a change at kicker.

Chris Boswell tried out for the Steelers and will sign, Adam Caplan of ESPN reports. That means Josh Scobee, who has gone just 3-for-7 on field goals beyond 40 yards this season, is on the way out.

The Steelers have had a tough time finding a kicker who can last this year. Kickers Shaun Suisham and Garrett Hartley are both on injured reserve.

After going undrafted out of Rice last year, Boswell spent time under contract to both the Texans and Giants but has never played in a regular-season game. The Steelers have to hope he’s ready to go, and to kick well. Or at least kick better than Scobee.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/03/steelers-change-kickers-josh-scobee-out-chris-boswell-in/[/URL]
    I worry a lot, am I going overboard to say that it's worrisome that the guy has never kicked in an NFL game?

(But he graduated from my kid's school, so it's gonna be good! I'll see if he knows anything about him, like maybe he has a reputation for being tough like that good kicker we had from Baylor. Though, then again, isn't that how Suisham got hurt this year, being a tough guy and trying to tackle? Maybe we want a wimp, but with a good leg!).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!