Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: JJ

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Correct. But, if you have LBs that are fast and/or accomplished in short area coverage, you can theoretically get to the passer and disrupt timing and cover the run better...

To me, it comes down to the "best 11" theory...is our 5th LB a better player than our 5th DB? With Boykin and how Cockrell is playing, the answer may be "no"...

It was just an idea...
    If you play Shazier (when healthy) in Polamalu's old quasi safety-linebacker role in the nickel, then yeah.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you play Shazier (when healthy) in Polamalu's old quasi safety-linebacker role in the nickel, then yeah.
    IIRC, there were times with Keisel that we ran a 1-5-5...

With both Heyward and Tuitt, though, I would keep those two on the field as much as possible...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's a pace for 56 sacks. Most years, that will give you the league lead, or put you very close.
    That would be a 70% increase over last season...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

That would be a 70% increase over last season...
    Change is good
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

It is no longer the primary sack position in our defense...Butler has fully incorporated the changes that you have been clamoring for in the Steelers' defense: specifically, DEs rushing the passer. Now that that has happened, the pass rushing aspect of the OLBs have been de-emphasized and there is more of a requirement for gap integrity and contain responsibilities. You can't have it both ways...
    That's a very good point. I've been a JJ supporter and quite honestly, I'm a bit disappointed he hasn't registered a sack yet but he has pressured the QB. Last week, he only played 20-something snaps. He's played better this year than he has in the past. He's much better in run defense than he was previously. I see the Steelers signing him to a 2nd contract so let the complaining begin. Has he lived up to expectations yet? No. But he has showed improvement and quite honestly, they don't have any better options. My biggest issue with JJ is that he doesn't really play with an "edge" of any sort. He doesn't have elite strength to beat a LT and he doesn't have elite speed to beat them either. I really wish he would play with more of a mean steak. There are times where he doesn't "sniff" the QB and the LT manhandles him. Then, there are times where he seems to get a little pissed off, gets under the LT's pads and uses his improved strength and leverage and walks the LT back into the QB. He hasn't gotten the sack yet but the pressure still causes issues.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Howard Jones was activated from the practice squad for Tampa this week. He's got two sacks and a forced fumble in one half of play.

So, in 30 minutes he pretty much matched JJ's career output.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Howard Jones was activated from the practice squad for Tampa this week. He's got two sacks and a forced fumble in one half of play.

So, in 30 minutes he pretty much matched JJ's career output.
    Thought that other Jones was someone to hang on to... sucks they couldn't keep him.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Thought that other Jones was someone to hang on to... sucks they couldn't keep him.
    Apparently, the Bucs were willing to pay him an NFL minimum salary in order to stay on their PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    They could have kept him. If he and Jarvis had the same pedigree, it would have been a no brainer. He was always making plays in the PS, just never got a shot becase he wasn't supposed to succeed, and Jarvis was.

Politics.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    They could have kept him. If he and Jarvis had the same pedigree, it would have been a no brainer. He was always making plays in the PS, just never got a shot becase he wasn't supposed to succeed, and Jarvis was.

Politics.
    Yep..... my biggest pet peeve in sports is when contract or draft status trumps actual results.

The Seahawks went against the grain and ended up with Russell Wilson at QB over Matt Flynn
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!