Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legit question, no bashing

Backup

User Info Menu

Legit question, no bashing

Okay. How much playing time do yunz guys think DuPree would have if DL would still be DC? I think a fraction of what he has so far. Don't get me wrong, I loved LeBeau. I just think that as our defense aged, he didn't slimplify it some to let some rookies/younger guys play and get some experience. I like what I've seen so far from DuPree.
    Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dupree definitely looks like a player to be reckoned with. His 1st step is fantastic

Even DLs staunchest supporters would have to admit he was slow to get younger guys on the field sooner rather than later. If he was still here, I would bet dupree hasn't even seen the field yet

Legend

User Info Menu

We are all of ONE SEASON REMOVED from Lebeau starting a rookie linebacker on day one.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was a LeBeau supporter but hated when rookies wouldn't get on the field.

However I think with Dupree would have got playing time b/c we are so weak at the OLB position. I like MOATS, just not as the Starter on that side.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Simple answer. Who ever is no. 1 on the depth chart would start. No matter if it were DL or whomever. Jones got in pretty early 2 years ago...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I was a LeBeau supporter but hated when rookies wouldn't get on the field.

However I think with Dupree would have got playing time b/c we are so weak at the OLB position. I like MOATS, just not as the Starter on that side.
    Excellent point!
    it is HARD to play rookies on a top ranked defense. That was the case during most of the time Lebeau was here.
    When a defense is bad, rookies get more opportunities because you need to fix what is broken.

Look at the 70s teams. Lots of rookies played big minutes 69-74. After that, I can't think of a rookie of note until Louis Lipps in the 80s. As the team got better, rookies had very little PT or impact.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie mistakes are the weak link on a good defense is that is a well oiled machine. But rookie mistakes are tolerable if you can't make plays otherwise.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

...and Dupree doesn't seem to need a year to get "bigger and stronger" and learn an unnecessarily complex defense. Would not had happened last year or this year if Butler wasn't in charge
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...and Dupree doesn't seem to need a year to get "bigger and stronger" and learn an unnecessarily complex defense. Would not had happened last year or this year if Butler wasn't in charge
    Now back to the REAL WORLD.
    Hmmmm, seems to me the LAST TIME LEBEAU HAD A 1ST ROUND OLB, he was a starter, not a backup like Dupree.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Now back to the REAL WORLD.
    Hmmmm, seems to me the LAST TIME LEBEAU HAD A 1ST ROUND OLB, he was a starter, not a backup like Dupree.

Considering that Jones AND Shazier had MORE opportunities than Dupree there is ZERO basis for the contention that Dupree would not play under Lebeau.

TCFCLTC-