Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Niner Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Niner Offense

A potentially scary scenario for the Steeler secondary: Vernon Davis, Boldin, Torrey Smith

So far against the Vikes, unimpressed. Kaepernick has been off and their offense looks generally sluggish. But the Vike defense probably plays a part in that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A potentially scary scenario for the Steeler secondary: Vernon Davis, Boldin, Torrey Smith
    Just lining up correctly is a scary scenario for the Steelers defense. The 9er game will be no gimme.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've never been impressed with Torrey Smith. He's like the bastard stepchild of Mike Wallace and Darrius Heyward-Bey, nothing more. The Ravens were smart to let the Niners overpay for this guy in free agency.

I always loved Anquan Boldin's game (the closest thing to Hines Ward), but he's getting older, which means slower, but still reliable. He's probably roughly the same speed as most tight ends now (but given our difficulty covering TE's recently, that may not be a good thing).

Vernon Davis was a legit weapon a few years ago, but his game fell off a cliff last year. He's only a year younger than Heath Miller, for what it's worth.

I guess I'd put Gay on Torrey, Cortez on Anquan, Boykin on Quinton Patton, Blake on Bruce Ellington, and Shazier on Vernon.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I've never been impressed with Torrey Smith. He's like the bastard stepchild of Mike Wallace and Darrius Heyward-Bey, nothing more. The Ravens were smart to let the Niners overpay for this guy in free agency.

I always loved Anquan Boldin's game (the closest thing to Hines Ward), but he's getting older, which means slower, but still reliable. He's probably roughly the same speed as most tight ends now (but given our difficulty covering TE's recently, that may not be a good thing).

Vernon Davis was a legit weapon a few years ago, but his game fell off a cliff last year. He's only a year younger than Heath Miller, for what it's worth.

I guess I'd put Gay on Torrey, Cortez on Anquan, Boykin on Quinton Patton, Blake on Bruce Ellington, and Shazier on Vernon.
    The question is will they understand that covering a player means actually lining up across from them or at least identify them as a target?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

That running game should worry the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

boldin hasnt created separation for years now....still catches the ball anyway.

Obviously the game is not a "gimme", but torrey smith (who makes as much as antonio brown) is not exactly striking fear into the hearts of defenses. Hyde looked real good last night though

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Great description. You have a way with words.

I don't think much of Torrey Smith, either. Looking back on his history, lots of games where the Steelers have essentially shut him out. He has a few where he'll get a TD but no monster games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    That running game should worry the Steelers.
    Hyde looked good from what I saw early. That concerns me, as does a running QB.

I'm also concerned about that 3 TE set they seem to like, mainly because I'm afraid that the Steelers will react by putting safeties on the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Niners play with big men up front...i think Dupree gets a lot of action this game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Physical running team vs. a soft defense. I just don't see how we stop them unless we sell out to stop the run. Who cares if you get burnt in the passing game, it's giong to happen either way.