Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas Benched

Legend

User Info Menu

Shamarko Thomas Benched

Will Allen is going to start:

[url]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2015/09/sunday-news-notes.html[/url]

Especially against Brady, it makes sense to start the veteran, but this is not a good sign for the Thomas. I also some some reference to Blake getting reps over Cortez Allen with the first team at corner.

Despite investing a second, a fourth, a seventh, and a future fourth/fifth in the secondary, it looks like the secondary isn't much better off than it was last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Despite investing a second, a fourth, a seventh, and a future fourth/fifth in the secondary, it looks like the secondary isn't much better off than it was last year.
    What defensive backs have they drafted and successfully developed since W. Gay in 2007?

I guess you could say Keenan Lewis, but his best days came after he left Pittsburgh. Otherwise, nobody of starting caliber that I can think of.

Especially puzzling, since the secondary is supposed to be Tomlin's greatest area of expertise.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cortez, Shark, and this years picks all still have hope
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im glad they are going with Allen in week 1. If nothing else I think he will be where he's supposed to be on the field

I don't think they trust Thomas in that regard right now

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    What defensive backs have they drafted and successfully developed since W. Gay in 2007?

I guess you could say Keenan Lewis, but his best days came after he left Pittsburgh. Otherwise, nobody of starting caliber that I can think of.

Especially puzzling, since the secondary is supposed to be Tomlin's greatest area of expertise.
    And it's ok. It hasn't crippled the Steelers.

I guess we will never know if talent evaluation and coaching works well for every coach. Some coaches can do both and some can only coach.

I guess we will never know because Tomlin may never have the power or influence that Cowher did. It seems that even Cowher got overruled at times. I believe the Steelers win and lose as an organization. Not one person is to blame.

Legend

User Info Menu

You answered your own question.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    And it's ok. It hasn't crippled the Steelers.
    It certainly hasn't helped them.

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I guess we will never know if talent evaluation and coaching works well for every coach. Some coaches can do both and some can only coach.
    If that's the case, then don't you bring on board someone who can do what you can't, to help?

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I guess we will never know because Tomlin may never have the power or influence that Cowher did. It seems that even Cowher got overruled at times. I believe the Steelers win and lose as an organization. Not one person is to blame.
    There could be some truth in what you say. It could be that, while DL was onboard, he had more say than Tomlin in running the defense and in drafting and developing players. Maybe now Tomlin will have more of an influence on it.

Not one person is solely to blame, but it seems obvious to me that some could be more to blame than others.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Cortez, Shark, and this years picks all still have hope
    2/3 of those draft picks that have hope have hope somewhere else it seems

Legend

User Info Menu

It certainly hasn't helped them.

If that's the case, then don't you bring on board someone who can do what you can't, to help?

There could be some truth in what you say. It could be that, while DL was onboard, he had more say than Tomlin in running the defense and in drafting and developing players. Maybe now Tomlin will have more of an influence on it.

Not one person is solely to blame, but it seems obvious to me that some could be more to blame than others.
    The positives outweigh the negatives for this franchise. They've been able to overcome the negatives or areas of weakness to win games.

They have scouts and coaches to help evaluate talent.

Who has the final say? The Rooneys? Colbert? Tomlin? Draft board(based on everyone's in agreement predraft)? What if everyone agrees that a need will be picked if the talent available is considered equal based on the scouts and coaches evaluations before the draft? It's been generally said that everyone agrees on the draft picks. I supposed this would prevent some infighting among coaches, scouts, GM, and ownership. At the end of the day we will probably never know. I guess if anyone is mostly to blame it's the ownership.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Im glad they are going with Allen in week 1. If nothing else I think he will be where he's supposed to be on the field

I don't think they trust Thomas in that regard right now
    I agree. Allen can play the Cover 2. Not sure Thomas has a clue what to do yet. Hopefully he can figure it out. Unfortunately we do lose speed with Thomas out.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"