Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Vick - you'd think we learn by now.

Legend

User Info Menu

People Eating Tasty Animals...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    If you don't like the idea of Vick playing for the Steelers you can sign this petition which has 20,000+ signatures already.

[url]https://www.change.org/p/steelers-fans-say-no-to-michael-vick-on-the-pittsburgh-steelers-team?recruiter=47322194&utm_source=share_petition& utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_t erm=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default[/url]
    Thanks for the link!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Uh oh...10,000 people clicked a button of disapproval. There will still be 68,000 butts in the stands at Heinz for each game, and millions of more eyeballs glued to flatscreens at home or at bars.
    This is a pretty damn good cross section indicator of how people feel... This is how Polls are done my friend.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You can make the argument that the NFL is treating their players the same way Vick treated those dogs. Perhaps every football fan around the globe deserves to go to prison for watching, condoning, and enjoying the violence that is the NFL.
    Flippy - I appreciate your take on this -- and I agree (partially) that Michael Vick could certainly feel that Dog Training and Fighting is similar to playing Pro Football.

However the difference is NFL players play by choice, they are in no way FORCED into it. NFL players are not brutally murdered for being too small, NFL players don't play to the death, and NFL players are not locked up and beaten on a regular basis to make them meaner.

For any fan/person there is a line in the sand about what "kind" of player is acceptable to play for the team you "invest" in -- and for me Michael Vick rap sheet involving more than just dog fighting is too much ---

I expect the Steelers to operate on a higher level than the Ravens or Raiders -- I also ask them to win more games -- it's a tough beat, but they've done it before.

To address the question about why anyone cares about our "back-up" Quarterback, well that's simple -

**Either this position is relatively unimportant -- and if that's true why would the Steelers hire a player that is so reviled by many fans?

**If the player is important -- than it just says the Steelers feel (having a chance) to win a few more games is more important than a Good Name ---- anybody remember Jerome Bettis speech at the Hall of Fame about --- all one has to give is a good name????

All of this being said -- I have to live by my own code (so to speak). Michael Vick has done his time and if the Steelers feel his upside presents a better "product" for their fans than his "downside" does....so be it.

Personally I had hoped the scumbag would never win a Super Bowl --- and now I'm stuck ---- (although I also think he sucks at being a Quarterback).

L.B.

Legend

User Info Menu

See I didn't take Flippy as comparing the two directly. What I got was...the thrill much of the US population gets from violence. The mentality and the need for us to look at our own propensities to engage and be entertained by violent sport which we find socially acceptable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Why do you keep moving the goal post?

There has alway been a vocal minority in here who remind the angels of Ben's problems, JH's domestic problem and how we really aren't that much better than the next franchise when it comes to signing/keeping players who are good with questionable off field reputations.

Heck, there was a 30 page thread with fans bashing Pouncey for the Hernandez hat.

Steeler fans on here sit on both sides of the aisle for various discussions...

you just like to lump fans into one group when making your false accusations.
    nobody is moving anything.
    i find it humorous how steeler fans rag on other teams players and the teams that signed them but as soon as we sign one of them, they defend the player and the move..............
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    See I didn't take Flippy as comparing the two directly.
    Shawn - If you read it again -- you'll see Flippy actually says the "main difference" between the NFL and Dog Fighting is primarily that the NFL has better Lawyers -- his words.

Obviously I disagree about the Main Differences......however I DO think the spirit of what Flippy wanted to write was more along the lines of what you state:

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What I got was...the thrill much of the US population gets from violence. The mentality and the need for us to look at our own propensities to engage and be entertained by violent sport which we find socially acceptable.
    And with that in mind -- I'll say I've never been an MMA fan (although I realize it's hugely popular) --- I've always enjoyed football because it's competitive.....not because it's violent --- I guess my point is that if you could turn the injuries "off" in real life (or at least the violent ones) --- I would do it.....wouldn't most people??

Again I watch the NFL for it's competition, strategy and the drama of it all --- (or sadly just to justify my drinking on Sundays) -- I'm disgusted when a broadcast repeatedly shows a vicious hit over and over again, hoping to entertain someone who gets off on that kind of violence -- I'm not okay with it.

However I do I choose to ignore the more violent and criminal aspects that are apart of this game.

This is all about where one draws the line.

L.B.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Hide your blue healer, Vick's a Steeler
    This made me chuckle!

Vick's here good golly, hide your Collie
    Vick's a thug, hide your pug
    Vick's been found, beware of your hound
    Vick's not a receiver, stow away your retriever
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-27-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm just happy nobody is being a douchebag...

Imagine...having a difference of opinion like grown-ups....
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    'fans' crack me up.
    you couldnt find a single steeler fan on this board a year ago that would say any thing nice about vick. POS, dog killer, terrible qb etc etce tc.
    as soon as he put on a steeler uniform, the lemmings come out proclaiming him to be a great person, good qb and a changed man that paid his debt to society. and once that debt is paid, all should be forgiven.
    Are you sure about that? In 2012 here on PG I wrote the following...

I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake. No one here has stolen, lied, cheated on a spouse, done illegal drugs, committed a crime or anything of the like. We are saints sitting on our judgmental thrones pointing the finger at Vick..a guy who paid more than his time to society. We have a former linebacker who is idolized by the original poster...and said linebacker held a gun to the head of his own son. That is ok because he was a Steeler. People do stupid, sometimes evil things and hopefully they grow from them. I would have welcomed Vick with open arms.

and PS...before you throw out how bad of a crime it is to abuse dogs...check your own eating habits. Most here support a meat industry that makes Vicks animal cruelty look like a walk in the park.