Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Cutdown Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Spring Cutdown Thread

Instead of doing individual posts, I thought it could make sense to start a big master thread.

CFL standout Shawn Lemon was cut and given an injury settlement. Eli Rogers, who had a really strong start to camp by all accounts, was released as well after injuring his foot:

[URL]http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/08/05/steelers-waive-wr-eli-rogers-in-favor-of-a-special-teams-guru/[/URL]

That's a shame. Sounded like he was going to push hard for a roster spot early on.

Edit: I meant to put "Camp" in the title instead of "Spring" but I can't seem to change it. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 08-06-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

That definitely sucks about Rogers. I really liked the kid. Seemed like he could be somewhat of a poor man's Antonio Brown type (similar build, playing style, etc.). I would have liked to see him back with the team when healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on to, say, Minnesota, since he was teammates with Teddy Bridgewater in high school and college (and even lived in the Bridgewater household for a while like Chris Rainey with the Pounceys).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That definitely sucks about Rogers. I really liked the kid. Seemed like he could be somewhat of a poor man's Antonio Brown type (similar build, playing style, etc.). I would have liked to see him back with the team when healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on to, say, Minnesota, since he was teammates with Teddy Bridgewater in high school and college (and even lived in the Bridgewater household for a while like Chris Rainey with the Pounceys).
    A lot of us at camp including "Steeler Delivery" Alex and myself all were pulling for this rook as he wasn't the fastest(4.57) nor the biggest 5'10 180 (on a good day) but we nicknamed him "Smooth" as he just did everything like a natural. I thought he would have had a good shot at the PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a tough business.

At a position like OLB this year, you have four guys locked in - Jones, Moats, Harrison, and Dupree. That leaves one opening, and the likes of HoJo, an impressive looking Chickillo, Shayon Green, and Lemon...

At WR you have locks of Brown, Bryant, Wheaton, and Coates. Also fighting are DHB, Gardner, Goodwin, Murphy, and Rogers.

Bottom line - if you are fighting for a spot at a position with a lot of depth, expect to be cut.

Be careful Garvin and Zumwalt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Doesn't he revert to IR essentially buying him a year with the team since he was waived injured? Unlikely he would had made the Final 53 no matter what he did.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It's a tough business.

At a position like OLB this year, you have four guys locked in - Jones, Moats, Harrison, and Dupree. That leaves one opening, and the likes of HoJo, an impressive looking Chickillo, Shayon Green, and Lemon...
    I like what I'm hearing about Chickillo
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I like what I'm hearing about Chickillo
    I'm hearing better things about Chickillo than I am about Bud Dupree right now. Hope it doesn't turn into a Gus Ferrotte-Heath Shuler scenario where the late rounder outshines the first rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

We all knew Bud Dupree was a project. He is a very raw talent with measurables. It's the reason that I had him as a second round talent. But, make no mistake the guy is an athlete and can fly. While I don't agree with the draft strategy of Tomlin and co. when it comes to recent LBrs...I have to respect that they have an idea and are filling the pieces. They are moving away from klunky physical run stuffing, pocket collapsers. They want DB/LBr hybrids with speed. They are willing to give up some physicality in the process...ie Shazier and Dupree. Neither are known for being physical guys. But both are fast. I'm just hoping we don't become Oakland East.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't believe Dupree lacks physicality at all

Rookie

User Info Menu

Neither Dupree nor Shazier lack physicality...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.