Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Incorporating More Cover 2

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Incorporating More Cover 2

Really good read below from Wexell:

[url]http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1567364-steelers-begin-bold-move-to-cover-2-defense[/url]

Dale Lolley also covered it in his blog:

[url]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2015/07/interesting-development.html[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

With the personnel that we currently have going forward, if they moved toward a 4-3 base at some point, they could use McLendon or McCullers as a 1-technique NT, Tuitt as a 3-technique DT, Heyward as the strongside DE, Dupree as the weakside DE, Shazier as the Will backer, Timmons as the Mike backer, and Jarvis as the Sam backer.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    With the personnel that we currently have going forward, if they moved toward a 4-3 base at some point, they could use McLendon or McCullers as a 1-technique NT, Tuitt as a 3-technique DT, Heyward as the strongside DE, Dupree as the weakside DE, Shazier as the Will backer, Timmons as the Mike backer, and Jarvis as the Sam backer.
    I'd be very surprised to see them go to a 4-3. I think you'll see more of a one-gap 3-4 in the base with the nickel that they ran about half the time last year, which is, in essence, an undersized 4-3.

To run a pure 4-3, you need to rotate lineman. The Steelers have Heyward, who is very good, Tuitt, who could be very good, McLendon, who is about league average, and McCullers, who is an unknown still with high upside. There is little depth to rotate at DT or DE.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 07-28-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You could also flip Tuitt and Heyward...depending on the kind of line assignments you run, it may not be all that different from the base defense...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So you want to draft in the 1st round two 3-4 OLBs (Jones and Dupree), give an extension to your best DL and move him outside the tackles??

Dupree is the ONLY man on the roster who could possibly be a successful 4-3 DE.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep. We have had the personnel to do this for a couple years. Still not sure they will but wouldn't make me cry.

Do you really see Jones as a "Sam?"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    So you want to draft in the 1st round two 3-4 OLBs (Jones and Dupree), give an extension to your best DL and move him outside the tackles??

Again, it just depends on how you line up those 4 DL and what you ask them to do. In Seattle, for example, Michael Bennett lines up at the strong-side 5 tech on early downs and often kicks inside on passing downs. Isn't that what we do with our DEs (Tuitt and Heyward)?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

I'm not pushing for the 4-3 at all. I'm fine with an odd man front on early base downs and even man fronts in nickel and dime situations, which may be about half the time in the league now. Just spitballing about where our current personnel might fit if such a change were made.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Do you really see Jones as a "Sam?"
    Timmons was the Will prototype when we drafted him (remember all of the comparisons to fellow FSU alum Derrick Brooks back then), but he's bulked up to play ILB in our 3-4 for all of these years, making him more of a Mike now.

Shazier is now the Will prototype. The run and hit playmaker type (when healthy, of course).

Your Sam backer needs to be able to hold up against the run, and Jarvis has certainly made strides in this area since entering the league. Many people look down on him because he hasn't yet blossomed into the pass rusher that folks thought they were getting in that draft, but has been able to set the edge against the run, which can be a difficult transition for NFL 3-4 OLB's. It was Worilds who was a turnstile in run support, not Jones.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons was the Will prototype when we drafted him (remember all of the comparisons to fellow FSU alum Derrick Brooks back then), but he's bulked up to play ILB in our 3-4 for all of these years, making him more of a Mike now.

Shazier is now the Will prototype. The run and hit playmaker type (when healthy, of course).

Your Sam backer needs to be able to hold up against the run, and Jarvis has certainly made strides in this area since entering the league. Many people look down on him because he hasn't yet blossomed into the pass rusher that folks thought they were getting in that draft, but has been able to set the edge against the run, which can be a difficult transition for NFL 3-4 OLB's. It was Worilds who was a turnstile in run support, not Jones.
    I think you got it. I think Jarvis has shown that he isn't the pure, "whip-the-guy-in-front-of-you" pass-rusher. He's more a timing, blitzing kind-of guy who needs that element of surprise. And despite his 4.9 speed, I think he is athletic enough to cover short areas. I agree that Timmons is the MLB; remembering that the guy at that position (Urlacher being the prototype) really has to be able to run. Among other things, being required to play the run, but also be able to turn and drop into that middle/deep zone. Shazier would be good there too (with his speed), but he seems a little light in the britches at this point in his career.

My only beef with such a switch, is that it only utilizes 3 LBs... when LB is the deepest position on our roster IMO.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.