Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bizarro Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Bizarro Steelers

From ESPN. Botomline--offense leads the way.

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13266548/bizarro-steelers-need-win-offense-nfl[/url]
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems I dreamt of this....hmmm

Legend

User Info Menu

They had to prioritize offense. The new rules make a defensive dominant team less than what it was a decade ago.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    The new rules make a defensive dominant team less than what it was a decade ago.
    Is that why Seattle would be two time defending champs if their coach just made the easiest decision that even your grandmother would have made...handed the ball to Skittles on the goal line? And why the previous Super Bowl before that featured Baltimore vs. San Fran? Dominant defense is just as important as ever.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Is that why Seattle would be two time defending champs if their coach just made the easiest decision that even your grandmother would have made...handed the ball to Skittles on the goal line? And why the previous Super Bowl before that featured Baltimore vs. San Fran? Dominant defense is just as important as ever.
    I agree it's just that a dominant D in the 70's gave up 10 pts a game and today a dominant D gives up 20 points a game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ruth,

Did I say that defense is irrelevant? No. Just less important.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

The most important aspect is a franchise QB. The second most important is defense. Franchise QB + Defense wins championships. If you lack either of those two things, you are ultimately more pretender than true contender.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

it seems if you prevent your opponent from scoring more points than your team you will win a lot of games.

the way i look at it, there are two ways to accomplish that, but the more consistent way has favored strong D over strong O. Most good offenses rely on a great QB and at least one other great offensive weapon (these days it seems to favor a WR). Lose one of the two, and the offense completely changes. my opinion, a defense can handle more missing playmakers and still perform better than an offense missing key guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, the real question is ... do people think we have a SB-caliber defense this year?

(Offense - clearly so, IMO. Defense ... well, I'm asking your opinion because I'm not sure! I somehow think it comes down to Cortez Allen. And that is a scary thought ...).
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 07-22-2015 at 12:23 PM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I want Cortez to succeed as much as the next guy. We really could use a big, skilled corner to deal with some of the behemoth wideouts this league has to offer these days, and Cortez is our only CB over 6' right now. However, if it doesn't happen, then I don't think we are in dire straits with Will Gay as our #1, Antwan Blake as our #2, Senquez Golson as our #3, and Doran Grant as our #4, even if all of those guys are listed as either 5'9" or 5'10". Gay is solid and coming off his best season as a pro, I like Blake more than most (really like his feistiness and attitude back there), and the two rooks look promising.

I'm a little bit more worried about our safeties, since we are counting on Mike Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas to start (both huge question marks right now) with Will Allen the only bona fide depth behind them (and Will Allen is only a year younger than Troy Polamalu who we released because he got too old). Robert Golden and Ross Ventrone are pretty much only special team contributors at this point, and Gerod Holliman may never play in any actual NFL games if he doesn't get his tackling issues straightened out.

If Cortez does work out at corner, and we are able to start Tez and Gay with Blake and Golson contributing in nickel and dime situations, might they try Doran Grant out at safety with fellow Buckeye alum Will Allen as his tutor?