View Poll Results: Does Dungy deserve consideration for the Hall of Fame?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he has the credentials worth consideration.

6 54.55%
  • No, his credentials dont really set him apart from other good coaches.

5 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throwback Thursday: Tony Dungy

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Throwback Thursday: Tony Dungy

Tony Dungy is from my hometown of Jackson, Michigan. He came into the Steelers backfield during the late 70s, started at CB, and actually led the league in interceptions one of those years. But really, his best contributions came as a coach and you can tell he is highly esteemed by everyone across the league. I wondered if anyone else things Dungy has the credentials for at least consideration to enter the Hall of Fame as a coach?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Coach who turned around two different franchises that sucked. Won a Super Bowl as a coach. Great ambassador for the game. Counselor and mentor for many players. He deserves consideration.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wasnt Dungy the first african american to win the Super Bowl as a head coach?
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know if he is a lock, but he should be in the conversation.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Coach who turned around two different franchises that sucked. Won a Super Bowl as a coach. Great ambassador for the game. Counselor and mentor for many players. He deserves consideration.
    Consideration, yes, election, no, just my opinion. The HOF is for the best of the best and IMO Tony doesn't warrant that selection, but, of course, the entire HOF is becoming watered down a bit (or maybe a lot), so why not Dungy? At least he's a good guy by all accounts, so maybe the HOF should elect him in, would be a better selection than guys like Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp regardless of their statistics and performance.

Maybe character should count more than it does.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Consideration, yes, election, no, just my opinion. The HOF is for the best of the best and IMO Tony doesn't warrant that selection, but, of course, the entire HOF is becoming watered down a bit (or maybe a lot), so why not Dungy? At least he's a good guy by all accounts, so maybe the HOF should elect him in, would be a better selection than guys like Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp regardless of their statistics and performance.

Maybe character should count more than it does.

Pappy
    Okay. Question: Which coach not in the HOF merits induction more than Dungy?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Okay. Question: Which coach not in the HOF merits induction more than Dungy?
    Coaches who won more Super Bowls than Dungy that aren't in the Hall of Fame:

Tom Flores
    Jimmy Johnson
    George Seifert
    Mike Shanahan
    Tom Coughlin (active)
    Bill Belichick (active)

Mike Holmgren won the same number of Super Bowls as Dungy as a head coach, plus made it to two others.

Dan Reeves never won the Super Bowl as a head coach (he was on two Super Bowl winning teams with Dallas; one as a player and one as an assistant coach...been to 9 total Super Bowls as a player and coach combined), but he's been to 4 of them (and that got Marv Levy inducted), including 3 with Broncos team that consisted of John Elway and little else, and then later on the with the Falcons (losing to, ironically, John Elway's Broncos in that game).
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 06-26-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Coaches who won more Super Bowls than Dungy that aren't in the Hall of Fame:

Tom Flores
    Jimmy Johnson
    George Seifert
    Mike Shanahan
    Tom Coughlin (active)
    Bill Belichick (active)

Mike Holmgren won the same number of Super Bowls as Dungy as a head coach, plus made it to two others.

Dan Reeves never won the Super Bowl as a head coach (he was on two Super Bowl winning teams with Dallas; one as a player and one as an assistant coach...been to 9 total Super Bowls as a player and coach combined), but he's been to 4 of them (and that got Marv Levy inducted), including 3 with Broncos team that consisted of John Elway and little else, and then later on the with the Falcons (losing to, ironically, John Elway's Broncos in that game).
    Out of those guys, I think Coughlin and Holmgren may be more deserving than Dungy. Perhaps Reeves as well. Johnson, Seifert and Shanahan were train wrecks when they went to other teams. Belichick is a damned cheater. Flores coached the Raiders...that should automatically disqualify him.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Wasnt Dungy the first african american to win the Super Bowl as a head coach?
    Yes. Doesn't warrant HOF induction though.
    IMO he deserves to get in, but the above reason shouldn't even be in the conversation for WHY he gets in.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Yes. Doesn't warrant HOF induction though.
    IMO he deserves to get in, but the above reason shouldn't even be in the conversation for WHY he gets in.
    Yeah, no Rooney Rule in the HoF. In response to Pappy, i think that character should definately be a factor to consider. Doesnt the NFL want to elevate those who are he best examples of winners? I mean its embarrassing to have Irvin and Sapp in there.