Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wexell: HOLLIMAN WON'T LET DRAFT SLIDE DEFINE HIM

Legend

User Info Menu

The shoulder was injured his freshman year. Sounds like it wasn't him playing in pain...but in fear. He was afraid of injuring the shoulder a third time and created poor tackling habits. Can that be corrected? Yes. He could become the steal of the draft.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The shoulder was injured his freshman year. Sounds like it wasn't him playing in pain...but in fear. He was afraid of injuring the shoulder a third time and created poor tackling habits. Can that be corrected? Yes. He could become the steal of the draft.
    I'd imagine that it is like a baseball player getting hit in the head. Eventually, you have to stand in there again, but it can be tough to do.

I don't think he'll ever be a Ryan Clark as a tackler, but if he can become an acceptable tackler his ball skills could certainly help. He's a nice low risk gamble in the 7th.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'd imagine that it is like a baseball player getting hit in the head. Eventually, you have to stand in there again, but it can be tough to do.

I don't think he'll ever be a Ryan Clark as a tackler, but if he can become an acceptable tackler his ball skills could certainly help. He's a nice low risk gamble in the 7th.
    It also can possibly develop into a mental block where you are just basically unable to do something that was relatively simple for you previously. To take the baseball analogy further, wasn't there a second baseman a few years back (Steve Sax? Chuck Knoblauch? Someone like that...) who simply no longer could make a basic throw from 2nd base to 1st base anymore...a throw that countless little leaguers could make with ease on a routine basis, but this major leaguer suddenly had it creep into his mind and he just couldn't do it anymore for some reason.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

We'll find out in july

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Good analogy. I really feel that he can be a good player for us. All he has to become is a adequate tackler. I mean he should see it this way. If he doesn't put his shoulder at risk...he wont make this team...so it's really a moot point. He has to stick it in there and take that risk or it really doesn't matter protecting that shoulder. Fears are hard to get over...but if I were Tomlin. All I would allow him to do for the first couple of weeks is practicing tackling with that shoulder. I remember when I was a kid and I was afraid of moving up to fast pitch baseball. I was afraid of the ball. On game, I got hit and walked. I stole a base and the errant throw hit me in the face. I realize I didn't die and I wasn't afraid of the ball anymore. He needs to get that shoulder licked a few good times.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie safety Gerod Holliman the 'ball hawk' the Steelers' secondary needs

By Jeff.Hartman on May 23, 2015

Rookie safety Gerod Holliman out of Louisville has certainly been criticized for his tackling, but he could be the 'ball hawk' the Steelers need on the back end of their secondary.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Gerod Holliman out of Louisville with their 7th round draft choice in the 2015 NFL Draft, they knew what they were getting. A ball hawk in the back end with 14 interceptions in 2014, but a player who isn't known for his physicality and tackling skills.

Some think his lack of tackling could keep him off the field (possibly off the team), but could the Steelers use his ball skills in the back end to help move the turnover ratio in their favor? The answer to that question is a resounding yes. Will Holliman be an impact player as a rookie, probably not, but could he be a safety the team could develop into an Ed Reed type player? I believe it isn't without reason.

to read rest of article:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2015/5/23/8648237/rookie-safety-gerod-holliman-the-ball-hawk-the-steelers-secondary[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Has Holliman signed a contract yet?

Backup

User Info Menu

Can't see him making the team. If he can't tackle he can't play special teams. How many ints he had in college won't matter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Has Holliman signed a contract yet?
    I can't find any indication that he has.

Maybe he saw some of the early mocks that had him going as early as round 1, and figures he should hold out for round 1 money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

Maybe he saw some of the early mocks that had him going as early as round 1, and figures he should hold out for round 1 money.
    was one of them the Planet Steelers mock by Dee Dub where he argued we should draft Holliman in Round 1?