Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golson: 'I'm not intimidated at all'

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    same was said about Le'Veon Bell after we drafted him in the 2nd round...
    Yup yup...I wanted Keenan Allen there. Shows what I know.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yup yup...I wanted Keenan Allen there. Shows what I know.
    most people wanted Eddie Lacy.

and Keenan Allen would not have been a bad choice...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    same was said about Le'Veon Bell after we drafted him in the 2nd round...
    I was going to say the same thing. Bell was projected third or fourth round pick. Any sad we didn't wait?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Clearly, he was a reach.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heard this guys interview- I can say he sounds like he's got his head on right. Some players just sound 'business'. That is what i thought when I heard him- he knows what he's doing.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie CB Senquez Golson catching up from 4th-team defense

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Senquez Golson (27) participates in an NFL football organized team activity, OTA, Tuesday, May 26, 2015 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic) (Keith Srakocic)

By Jacob Klinger
    on May 28, 2015

PITTSBURGH -- For three weeks Senquez Golson has been in Pittsburgh, but it's taken until Day 3 of organized team activities (OTAs) for him to get up to speed.

"Things was a little fast for me at first, you know, Day 3, everything's starting to slow down for me," Golson said.

While it does, Golson said he's working with the fourth-string defense. He's trying to get as many reps as he can and studies the players ahead of him for the chances he does get. Though he's found first-team practice time hard to come by, Golson said he did record an especially fast 10-yard time in a drill with some of his teammates.

One of his teammates ran 10 yards in 1.75 seconds; his time was 1.76 seconds.

When the Steelers took Golson with the 56th overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, he became their highest-drafted corner since they selected Ricardo Colcough 38th overall in 2004. Golson had the second-most interceptions, 10, in the Football Bowl Subdivision last season, only trailing then-Louisville safety and Steelers seventh-round pick Gerod Holliman.

After Pittsburgh drafted the 5-foot-9, 176-pound Golson, Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said Golson would've been a first-round pick if he were two inches taller and that he thought the corner would prove himself with his toughness.

Said Lake: "He's just a well-rounded athlete."

[URL]http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/05/pittsburgh_steelers_rookie_cb_senquez_go.html#inca rt_story_package[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Golson continuing to progress

Posted 16 hours ago

By Mike Prisuta

Rookie cornerback Senquez Golson is taking advantage of all of the opportunities he gets during OTAs.

The No. 2 pick from Mississippi has been eased into action during the early going at OTAs, but Senquez Golson hasn’t been inconspicuous.

“Mainly a little second-team nickel, third-team corner and nickel,” Golson reported regarding how he’s been deployed during his first professional practices. “It just depends on the rotation they have out there.”

That hasn’t prevented the 5-foot-9 cornerback from being noticed.

Veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, for example, was aware of when he had completed a pass at Golson’s expense last week.

Roethlisberger even took verbal measures to make sure Golson was aware, as well.

“I didn’t get a chance to hear it but when I got in the locker room a couple of guys told me about it,” Golson said.

Roethlisberger’s message?

“Welcome to the NFL.”

Golson had already noticed by then he wasn’t in the SEC anymore.

“This is a great experience,” he continued. “Quarterbacks have a lot more accuracy so I’ve really been focused on my technique, coming out of my breaks faster, things like that.”

Roethlisberger isn’t the only veteran Golson has taken advantage of the opportunity to interact with or learn from as he’s taken his initial steps with the Steelers.

“It kind of surprised me when I first got here, everybody was so welcoming,” he said. “A lot of the older guys, they always help us out, correct us. I can always ask questions.”

Rookie cornerbacks can, likewise, learn a great deal when asked to cover veteran receivers such as Antonio Brown.

“What better work can you get?’ Golson offered. “Best receiver in the league.

“Definitely a different experience.”

Overall, Golson maintained he’s continuing to progress, not missing a beat when the Steelers returned to work on Tuesday for their fourth OTA session, following four days off.

“I kinda didn’t know what to expect,” he said. “Rookie camp went well for me but I just wanted to get out here with the older guys and see how that was going to go. Little faster; everything’s starting to slow down, that’s a good thing.

“I’m catching it pretty fast.”

That said he’s still waiting to come up with his first interception.

“I got my hands on a couple of them,” Golson said. “I haven’t been able to bring any down yet.

“I’m working on it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Golson-continuing-to-progress/f90e7741-969d-450f-8636-b57b0e7efe8c[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Golson continuing to progress

Posted 16 hours ago

By Mike Prisuta

Rookie cornerback Senquez Golson is taking advantage of all of the opportunities he gets during OTAs.

The No. 2 pick from Mississippi has been eased into action during the early going at OTAs, but Senquez Golson hasn’t been inconspicuous.

“Mainly a little second-team nickel, third-team corner and nickel,” Golson reported regarding how he’s been deployed during his first professional practices. “It just depends on the rotation they have out there.”

That hasn’t prevented the 5-foot-9 cornerback from being noticed.

Veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, for example, was aware of when he had completed a pass at Golson’s expense last week.

Roethlisberger even took verbal measures to make sure Golson was aware, as well.

“I didn’t get a chance to hear it but when I got in the locker room a couple of guys told me about it,” Golson said.

Roethlisberger’s message?

“Welcome to the NFL.”

Golson had already noticed by then he wasn’t in the SEC anymore.

“This is a great experience,” he continued. “Quarterbacks have a lot more accuracy so I’ve really been focused on my technique, coming out of my breaks faster, things like that.”

Roethlisberger isn’t the only veteran Golson has taken advantage of the opportunity to interact with or learn from as he’s taken his initial steps with the Steelers.

“It kind of surprised me when I first got here, everybody was so welcoming,” he said. “A lot of the older guys, they always help us out, correct us. I can always ask questions.”

Rookie cornerbacks can, likewise, learn a great deal when asked to cover veteran receivers such as Antonio Brown.

“What better work can you get?’ Golson offered. “Best receiver in the league.

“Definitely a different experience.”

Overall, Golson maintained he’s continuing to progress, not missing a beat when the Steelers returned to work on Tuesday for their fourth OTA session, following four days off.

“I kinda didn’t know what to expect,” he said. “Rookie camp went well for me but I just wanted to get out here with the older guys and see how that was going to go. Little faster; everything’s starting to slow down, that’s a good thing.

“I’m catching it pretty fast.”

That said he’s still waiting to come up with his first interception.

“I got my hands on a couple of them,” Golson said. “I haven’t been able to bring any down yet.

“I’m working on it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Golson-continuing-to-progress/f90e7741-969d-450f-8636-b57b0e7efe8c[/URL]
    Thanks Ruthless.

I'm always impressed with the "Steelers Way" of one generation of players helping the next. I'm sure it's not unique to the Steelers but the young guys always seem to cite it as an unexpected occurrence.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Thanks Ruthless.

I'm always impressed with the "Steelers Way" of one generation of players helping the next. I'm sure it's not unique to the Steelers but the young guys always seem to cite it as an unexpected occurrence.
    Kinda blows my mind that guys want to chase the cash and leave. I'd rather have the stability and chance to win than a big payday.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Kinda blows my mind that guys want to chase the cash and leave. I'd rather have the stability and chance to win than a big payday.
    That is why I have turned down job offers in the past. Being miserable and failing isn't always worth more money